Washington Has No Problem With Turkey's Plan to Rename US Embassy Street
The intention by Turkey to rename the street on which the US embassy is located in Ankara after the Turkish military operation Olive Branch is an internal matter, Department of State spokesperson Heather Nauert said in a briefing, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
"I heard that. I also heard that Russia was thinking about doing the same thing," Nauert said on Tuesday. "I think that would be largely an internal matter. If the city decides it wants to rename it’s, especially Turkey and Russia, we support freedom of speech, they can call it whatever they want as long as it is in accordance with their own law. We are fine with that."
On Monday, Ankara Mayor Mustafa Tuna said the street of the Turkish capital where the US Embassy is located will be renamed in honor of operation "Olive Branch" conducted by the Turkish military in Syria’s northern Afrin region.
The statement comes amid rising tensions in US-Turkish relations as the United States continues to support Kurdish People’s Protection Units (YPG) operating in northern Syria.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018Mexican president's visit to White House postponed after testy Trump call
- 25.02.2018Maduro to Officially Register as Candidate for April's Election on Tuesday
- 25.02.2018Colombia extradites major drug suspect to US
- 25.02.2018UN chief welcomes Security Council resolution on Syria truce
- 25.02.2018U.N. Security Council demands truce as air strikes batter Syria's Ghouta
- 24.02.2018Trump tax cut fuels record profit for Buffett's Berkshire
- 24.02.2018Trump urges Mexico to block illegal immigrants from El Salvador
- 24.02.2018UNSC postpones vote on ceasefire proposal in Syria
- 24.02.2018NASA finds water could be widespread on moon
- 24.02.2018White House on lockdown after vehicle hits security barrier
- 24.02.2018Trump: If North Korea sanctions don't work, we go to 'Phase 2'
- 24.02.2018Trump campaign aide to plead guilty
- 24.02.2018U.S. ready to open Jerusalem embassy in May: State Department
- 23.02.2018U.S. expects to open Jerusalem embassy in May, officials say
- 23.02.2018U.S. imposes largest package of sanctions against North Korea
- 23.02.2018Trump administration to target North Korea with new sanctions on Friday
- 23.02.2018IAEA reaffirms Iran’s compliance with JCPOA in its new report
- 23.02.2018SpaceX launches internet satellite prototypes
- 23.02.2018Man dies after throwing explosive device at US Embassy in Montenegro
- 23.02.2018Oil prices climb after unexpected drawdown in U.S. crude stocks
- 23.02.2018Russian diplomats tried to export 400 kg of cocaine from Argentina
- 22.02.2018Charity boss resigns from Unicef
- 22.02.2018US: Melania Trump’s parents become US residents
- 22.02.2018U.S. SEC updates guidance on cyber attack disclosure for companies
- 21.02.2018US: students rally in Florida to stop school shootings
- 21.02.2018U.S.-led air strike in Somalia kills three al Shabaab militants: statement
- 21.02.2018US pledges closer cooperation with Turkey
- 21.02.2018Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'
- 21.02.2018Trump phones Mexican president over copter crash
- 20.02.2018Pentagon prepares new ballistic missile defense review
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 14.02.2018Tillerson stresses need to discuss issue of co-op to reduce threats against Turkey
- 14.02.2018Shooting outside NSA campus leaves at least three injured
- 14.02.2018New US sanctions against Russia to come in near future - US Treasury Secretary
- 14.02.2018State Department: US Ready to Hold Talks With North Korea
- 14.02.2018Several People Injured in Utah Shooting
- 13.02.2018Tillerson: "Turkey's operation in Afrin negatively affected the fight against ISIL"