Venezuela prison mass grave yields 15 corpses, three headless
Fifteen corpses, three of them headless, have been found in a mass grave at a Venezuelan prison and more may be discovered, investigators said on Saturday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The grisly find this month at the General Penitentiary in central Guarico state has thrown a spotlight on the South American nation's crowded, violent and gang-dominated prisons where scores of inmates die each year.
The public prosecutor's office said 20 forensic experts combing the site at a prison stable had found the remains of at least 15 people, though three were missing skulls.
"We presume there are more corpses," it said in a statement.
Authorities have given no explanation for the deaths and there has been little national outcry given the litany of horror in Venezuela's prisons in recent decades.
Rights group A Window On Liberty has said the number of victims, presumed killed in gang violence before the prison was recently closed for refurbishment, could rise to 100.
"Whether 14, 50 or 100, they were people under the state's responsibility," the group's coordinator Carlos Nieto said, adding that the facility used to house 9,000 inmates.
Venezuela's prisons are notorious for ease of access to weapons and drugs as well as mobile phones and computers hooked up to the Internet, allowing inmates easy access to the outside world, often to run criminal activities.
Some prisons have discos and even swimming pools.
The country's more than 30 facilities house about 50,000 people, but were built for a third of that, rights groups say.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2017US Senator to introduce new Russia sanctions Thursday – Spokesman
- 25.05.2017Thousands protest against Temer, reforms in Brasilia
- 25.05.2017Trump praises Duterte for anti-drug campaign in call transcript
- 24.05.2017Trump tells Netanyahu, Abbas to compromise to make peace - Tillerson
- 24.05.2017Venezuela to push ahead with assembly in July despite unrest
- 23.05.2017White House: Trump, Netanyahu pledge to work together to combat terrorism
- 23.05.2017UK police name Manchester attacker as 22-year-old Salman Abedi
- 23.05.2017Wall Street closes higher with rise in oil prices
- 21.05.2017At least 46 wounded in Saturday anti-government protests in Venezuela
- 21.05.2017Congressman threatened with lynching after calling for Trump’s impeachment
- 21.05.20178 injured in plane-truck collision at LA airport
- 21.05.2017U.S. calls on Iran to halt support for 'destabilizing forces'
- 21.05.2017Brazil president lambastes bribe testimony by JBS executives
- 20.05.2017Tillerson unaware of White House 'person of interest' in Russia probe
- 20.05.2017US hopes re-elected Iranian President Rouhani to stop missile program
- 20.05.2017Approval of President Trump drops to lowest since inauguration
- 20.05.2017‘Trust’ Us: Tillerson urges North Korea to back off nuke program
- 20.05.2017U.N. sees 'incremental progress' after Syria talks
- 20.05.2017White House adviser is person of interest in Russia probe: report
- 19.05.2017Mattis: Militia hit by US strike in Syria Iran-directed offensive force
- 19.05.2017US imposes sanctions on Venezuela Supreme Court
- 19.05.2017US sends second aircraft carrier to Korea after DPRK’s missile test
- 19.05.2017Democrats predict a Trump sellout on NAFTA
- 19.05.2017Fox News founder dies at 77
- 19.05.2017U.S. executives tell Congress they want permanent tax reform
- 19.05.2017Trump: "I never asked Comey to close Flynn probe"
- 18.05.2017Trump calls special counsel Russia probe 'greatest witch hunt' in U.S. history
- 18.05.2017Brazilian Supreme Court Authorizes opening of investigation against President
- 18.05.2017One person dead, at least 13 injured after car hits pedestrians in the U.S. - VIDEO - UPDATED
- 18.05.2017Private jet crash kills 2 in central Mexico
- 18.05.2017Anti-government protests claim another life in Venezuela
- 18.05.2017US: Special counsel appointed to FBI's Russia probe
- 18.05.2017Trump calls Netanyahu amid intelligence sharing controversy
- 18.05.2017U.S. extends sanctions relief under Iran nuclear deal
- 17.05.2017Venezuelan government prolongs economic emergency for seventh time
- 17.05.2017One killed, 25 injured in Tornado in US State of Wisconsin
- 17.05.2017White House won't release list of persons present during Trump-Lavrov talks
- 17.05.2017White House fence jumper arrested
- 16.05.2017Mexico expects NAFTA talks by late August: economy minister
- 16.05.2017US Treasury adds more anti-Syria sanctions: 2 Assad's cousins on the list
- 24.02.2016Speaker: Legal steps to stop Obama from closing Guantanamo
- 24.02.2016Obama cautious on Syria plan as opposition yet to commit
- 25.02.2016Manchester City score three in Kyiv
- 24.02.2016Deadly tornadoes cause widespread damage in Louisiana, Mississippi
- 24.02.2016Ramon Castro, Cuban leader's older brother, dies at age 91
- 24.02.2016Senate not considering Supreme Court nominee until elections