Venezuela prison mass grave yields 15 corpses, three headless
Fifteen corpses, three of them headless, have been found in a mass grave at a Venezuelan prison and more may be discovered, investigators said on Saturday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The grisly find this month at the General Penitentiary in central Guarico state has thrown a spotlight on the South American nation's crowded, violent and gang-dominated prisons where scores of inmates die each year.
The public prosecutor's office said 20 forensic experts combing the site at a prison stable had found the remains of at least 15 people, though three were missing skulls.
"We presume there are more corpses," it said in a statement.
Authorities have given no explanation for the deaths and there has been little national outcry given the litany of horror in Venezuela's prisons in recent decades.
Rights group A Window On Liberty has said the number of victims, presumed killed in gang violence before the prison was recently closed for refurbishment, could rise to 100.
"Whether 14, 50 or 100, they were people under the state's responsibility," the group's coordinator Carlos Nieto said, adding that the facility used to house 9,000 inmates.
Venezuela's prisons are notorious for ease of access to weapons and drugs as well as mobile phones and computers hooked up to the Internet, allowing inmates easy access to the outside world, often to run criminal activities.
Some prisons have discos and even swimming pools.
The country's more than 30 facilities house about 50,000 people, but were built for a third of that, rights groups say.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2017Trump has no recordings of talks with FBI ex-director Comey
- 22.06.2017Trump says 'we have a great relationship with China' after critical tweet
- 21.06.2017US crude falls to lowest level in 10 months
- 21.06.2017US F-16 catches fire during takeoff in Texas
- 21.06.2017U.S. Attorney General Sessions hires private attorney
- 21.06.2017UN praises Turkey's hospitality towards refugees
- 21.06.2017Canada: Anti-terror law beefs up cyber threat powers
- 21.06.2017U.S. shoots down drone close to Iraqi-Syrian border
- 21.06.2017U.S. imposes new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- 21.06.2017New Mexico Lab Shutdown Endangers US Nuclear Arsenal
- 20.06.2017U.S. State Department 'mystified' by Gulf states on Qatar
- 20.06.2017Argentina police seize cache of hidden Nazi artifacts
- 20.06.2017Four Mexican federal police killed in ambush in Guerrero
- 20.06.2017Otto Warmbier, US student released from North Korea has died
- 19.06.2017Cuba calls Trump speech on island 'grotesque spectacle'
- 18.06.2017Several sailors' bodies found on stricken Navy destroyer
- 18.06.2017Explosion in Bogota shopping center kills at least three, wounds nine
- 18.06.2017U.S. welcomes Syria cease-fire, urges opposition to halt attacks
- 17.06.2017U.N. chief set to name new Libya envoy after rare contentious search
- 17.06.2017Seven U.S. soldiers wounded in insider attack at Afghan base
- 17.06.2017Trump commends Trudeau for boosting Canada’s military spending
- 16.06.2017Trump orders clampdown on Cuba travel and trade, curbing Obama detente
- 16.06.2017UN unable to confirm death of Daesh leader Baghdadi
- 16.06.2017US sending almost 4,000 extra forces to Afghanistan
- 16.06.2017U.S. Vice President hires counsel to deal with Russia probe inquiries
- 16.06.2017Senate passes new sanctions on Iran, Russia
- 16.06.2017White House committed to anti-Russian sanctions - spokesperson
- 15.06.2017Turkish president's security officers charged with assault in Washington
- 15.06.20179 people injured after SUV jumps curb in Midtown Manhattan
- 15.06.2017Trump visits lawmaker recovering from shooting at baseball practice in Virginia
- 15.06.2017US agreed to sell F-15 jets to Qatar
- 15.06.2017UN slams civilian losses in US-led Raqqah airstrikes
- 15.06.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves Russia sanctions
- 14.06.2017US congressman Steve Scalise in critical condition after shooting attack
- 14.06.2017US-led coalition using banned arms in Syria, Iraq: HRW
- 14.06.2017At least two killed in San Francisco UPS facility shooting - UPDATED
- 14.06.2017US lawmakers file anti-Trump lawsuit for alleged abuse of constitution
- 14.06.2017Congressman shot at baseball field in US
- 14.06.2017The state Department has accused Russia of meddling in the elections of France and the Netherlands
- 14.06.2017Trump gives U.S. military authority to set Afghan troop levels
- 19.03.2017Legendary Rock'n'Roll icon Chuck Berry dies at 90
- 19.03.2017Trump wants to build 30-foot-high wall at Mexican border
- 23.03.2017US Secretary of State: 'I did not want this job'
- 19.03.2017Man detained after hopping bike-rack barrier near White House
- 18.03.2017Trump: US ideally seeks peaceful solution to Ukraine conflict
- 18.03.2017In first Trump-Merkel meeting, awkward body language and a quip