US to maintain dialogue with Israel on halting Iranian ambitions in Syria
The United States will continue to hold discussions with Israel about keeping Iran from gaining foothold in Syria after the ceasefire has been established in the country’s southwest, White House spokesman Sean Spicer said in a press briefing on Monday, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Sunday voiced his opposition to the US-Russia ceasefire deal because it would cement Iran's position in Syria.
"There is a shared interest that we have with Israel making sure that Iran does not gain any foothold military, base-wise in southern Syria. We are going to continue those talks [with Netanyahu]," Spicer stated.
Spicer emphasized the White House is open to addressing Netanyahu's concerns while making sure the ceasefire holds.
US President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin agreed to establish the ceasefire during a G20 meeting in Germany's Hamburg. The deal went into effect at noon Damascus time (09:00 GMT) on July 9.
The Israeli-Syrian relations are strained, particularly over the disputed region of Golan Heights, which has been at the center of conflict between the two Middle Eastern states since the late 1940s. Hostilities also regularly escalate as Israeli planes hit targets in Syria in response to cross-border fire incidents.
Related news releases
- 24.09.2017US Army helicopter patrolling over New York collides with unknown drone
- 24.09.2017Trump accuses Iran of cooperation with North Korea after missile test launch
- 24.09.2017Death toll reaches 305 in central Mexico quake
- 24.09.2017North Korea: Nobody Except Trump Himself Is on a 'Suicide Mission'
- 23.09.2017Earthquake-hit Mexico struck by 6.1 aftershock
- 23.09.2017Canada to impose sanctions on Venezuela's Maduro and top officials
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijani FM speaks at OIC Annual Coordination Meeting
- 22.09.2017Mexico earthquake: Death toll rises as search for survivors goes on
- 22.09.2017Erdogan, Trump hold talks in New York
- 22.09.2017Storm Maria brings fear, pain and shock to Puerto Ricans
- 21.09.2017US imposes new sanctions on North Korea
- 21.09.2017Trump to make 'important sanctions-related announcement' about North Korea, says White House
- 21.09.2017Erdogan, Trump to meet in NYC on Thursday
- 21.09.2017Mexico rescuers work into night to save trapped girl as quake toll tops 230
- 21.09.2017Palestinian Abbas says Middle East peace closer with Trump engaged
- 21.09.2017Hurricane Maria brings destruction, heavy floods to Puerto Rico
- 21.09.2017US: 1 shot at Illinois high school
- 20.09.2017Afghan president says Trump war plan has better chance than Obama's
- 20.09.2017Oil up 2 percent despite U.S. crude build
- 20.09.2017Death toll from Mexico earthquake hits 226- UPDATED-2
- 20.09.2017Russia calls on US to engage in dialogue with North Korea — Lavrov
- 20.09.2017Lavrov, Abbas discuss efforts to restore Palestinian unity
- 19.09.2017Mexico city International airport suspends operations after strong earthquake
- 19.09.20177.1 magnitude earthquake hits Mexico city
- 19.09.2017Trump says if threatened, U.S. will 'totally destroy' North Korea
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of General Debate of 72nd Session of UN General Assembly in New York
- 19.09.2017Hurricane Maria betters Dominica, heads to Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017Trump calls out ‘radical Islamic terrorism’ by name at UN
- 19.09.2017US to pay 'high cost' if it leaves Iran deal: Rouhani
- 19.09.2017Powerful Hurricane Maria targets Caribbean, Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves defense spending bill
- 19.09.2017Xi and Trump discuss sanctions pressure on North Korea: White House
- 18.09.2017France defends Iran nuclear deal, Trump to decide soon
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Political Declaration for UN Reform High Level Event in New York
- 18.09.2017128 Nations Sign US Declaration on Reform of United Nations
- 18.09.2017UN stunted by 'bureaucracy and mismanagement': Trump
- 17.09.2017US denies U-turn on climate deal
- 17.09.2017UN Security Council to hold ministerial meeting on non-proliferation next week
- 17.09.2017Jets strike U.S.-backed forces in eastern Syria
- 17.09.2017St Louis police killing: 30 arrests after acquittal protests
- 18.07.2017US Navy tests laser weapons system in Persian Gulf
- 18.07.2017Tillerson Recertifies Iran's compliance to nuclear agreement
- 18.07.2017Strong earthquake strikes off Peru, no tsunami risk seen
- 18.07.2017Oil prices ease on signs of steady output from some producers
- 16.07.2017US Navy commissions new Arleigh Burke-class destroyer at Pearl Harbor base
- 16.07.2017Turks in Germany mark anniversary of defeated coup