US to host anti-İS coalition summit
The U.S. will host a meeting of coalition foreign ministers and senior leaders later this month, the State Department announced on Thursday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The March 22 gathering will be the first full meeting of the 68-member coalition since December 2014, the department said in a statement, noting that the anti-IS fight is at a "key moment.
"We are at an important stage of the fight against ISIS and will use this Ministerial to accelerate international efforts to defeat ISIS in the remaining areas it holds in Iraq and Syria and maximize pressure on its branches, affiliates, and networks," it said, referring to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, another name for ISIS.
In addition to "a detailed discussion" of the coalition's priorities in advancing the military campaign, the ministers will address Iraq and Syria's ongoing humanitarian crises.
Smaller groups of countries have regularly met since the December 2014 meeting.
Coalition foreign ministers last met in Washington in July 2016, the department said, noting that political leaders last met in Berlin, Germany last November.
Related news releases
- 20.03.2018Bolivia takes Chile to world court over maritime access
- 20.03.2018Trump sends Nowruz greetings and attacks Iranian government
- 20.03.2018Trump still wants summit of Gulf states
- 20.03.2018Russia blocks U.N. Security Council meeting on human rights in Syria
- 20.03.2018Uber halts self-driving cars after pedestrian fatality
- 19.03.2018U.S. blocks use of Venezuela's digital currency - White House
- 19.03.2018Engine failure forces Ivanka, Jared's helicopter to return to airport
- 18.03.20181 person dead in shooting at Southern California mall, authorities say
- 18.03.2018Florida officials knew about bridge crack
- 17.03.2018Trump, South Korea's Moon discuss engagement with North
- 16.03.2018US: At least 6 dead in Florida bridge collapse
- 16.03.2018At least four dead in pedestrian bridge collapse at university in Miami - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Nike brand president resigns; company probes workplace complaints
- 16.03.2018Colombia resumes peace talks with ELN rebels
- 16.03.2018Facebook Lite to launch in developed countries, including US
- 16.03.2018Broadcom tops revenue, profit on demand from smartphone makers
- 16.03.2018Several reported dead after pedestrian bridge collapses in Miami
- 15.03.2018Mueller subpoenas Trump organization, demands Russia-related docs
- 15.03.2018Explosion hits chemical plant in Texas, building ablaze - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Former Trump campaign manager Manafort files to dismiss charges
- 15.03.2018U.S. Ambassador Haley tells U.N. Russia responsible for chemical attack
- 15.03.2018Trump taps commentator Kudlow for top economic adviser
- 15.03.2018US students rally nationwide against gun violence
- 15.03.2018Russian UN Envoy: 'Unacceptable' for UK to accuse Moscow of nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018At least six die in Bolivia prison uprising
- 14.03.2018Three arrested, charged in US mosque bombing
- 13.03.2018White House fires top Tillerson aide after comments on Boss' firing
- 13.03.2018US defense secretary backs Afghan overtures to Taliban
- 13.03.2018Trump: Tillerson and I "disagreed on things" like the Iran deal
- 13.03.2018Trump sacks Rex Tillerson as state secretary
- 13.03.2018White House expects North Korea summit to happen despite Pyongyang's silence
- 13.03.2018US: House Republicans find no Trump-Russia collusion
- 13.03.2018U.S. may lift travel ban on 'important partner' Chad, Tillerson says
- 13.03.2018U.N. blames Honduras security forces for killing electoral protesters
- 12.03.2018U.S. warns if Security Council doesn't act on Syria, it will
- 12.03.2018Tillerson says several steps needed for U.S. talks with North Korea
- 11.03.2018Trump says North Korea talks could fail or bring 'greatest deal'
- 10.03.2018US Secretary of State Tillerson Ill, Cancels Africa Tour Events
- 10.03.2018Trump to rally for endangered Republican in Pennsylvania
- 10.03.20183 hostages and gunman dead at California veterans' home
- 11.03.2017Thousands rally against Dakota pipeline in US capital
- 11.03.2017US Congressman made statement on Khojaly genocide
- 11.03.2017Muhammad Ali’s son detained at US airport for second time this year
- 10.03.2017US brigade combat team test new shadow drones in Germany
- 10.03.2017Senate committee approves Trump intelligence nominee Coats
- 09.03.2017WikiLeaks will share CIA hacking tools with tech companies: Assange