US to host anti-İS coalition summit
The U.S. will host a meeting of coalition foreign ministers and senior leaders later this month, the State Department announced on Thursday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The March 22 gathering will be the first full meeting of the 68-member coalition since December 2014, the department said in a statement, noting that the anti-IS fight is at a "key moment.
"We are at an important stage of the fight against ISIS and will use this Ministerial to accelerate international efforts to defeat ISIS in the remaining areas it holds in Iraq and Syria and maximize pressure on its branches, affiliates, and networks," it said, referring to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, another name for ISIS.
In addition to "a detailed discussion" of the coalition's priorities in advancing the military campaign, the ministers will address Iraq and Syria's ongoing humanitarian crises.
Smaller groups of countries have regularly met since the December 2014 meeting.
Coalition foreign ministers last met in Washington in July 2016, the department said, noting that political leaders last met in Berlin, Germany last November.
Related news releases
- 29.04.2017Tillerson eyes cutting 2,300 jobs at State Department
- 29.04.2017Brazil protesters, police clash in first general strike in decades
- 29.04.2017Trump signs order to expand offshore oil, gas drilling
- 28.04.2017US allows transactions with Belarusian companies blocked by 2006 order
- 28.04.2017U.S. says time to act on North Korea, China says not up to Beijing alone
- 28.04.2017US suspects Daesh emir killed in Afghanistan raid that targeted terrorist HQ
- 28.04.2017Tillerson: North Korea may inflict strike on US
- 28.04.2017Rex Tillerson: "US doesn't seek regime change in North Korea"
- 28.04.2017Trump warns ‘major conflict with North Korea’ may be on horizon
- 27.04.2017EU parliament adopts resolution decrying crackdown on protesters in Venezuela
- 27.04.2017Trump says U.S. will renegotiate trade pact with Canada, Mexico
- 27.04.2017NATO chief meets with EU defense ministers on security talks
- 27.04.2017US Sea Hawk helicopter crashes into Pacific Ocean off Guam coast
- 27.04.2017Venezuela death toll hits 29, protesters battle security forces
- 27.04.2017Trump grants Pentagon chief power to decide troop limits in anti-Daesh fight
- 27.04.2017Trump agrees to keep US in NAFTA
- 27.04.2017U.S., European military chiefs call for better data-sharing against terrorism
- 27.04.2017Commander says U.S. may need stronger defense against North Korea missiles
- 26.04.2017Silence of the Lambs director Jonathan Demme dies at 73
- 26.04.2017Pentagon orders 140,000 aircraft cargo nets for United Arab Emirates
- 26.04.2017Pilot killed in small plane crash in U.S state of Texas
- 26.04.2017Several states on alert after dangerous nuclear material stolen in Mexico
- 25.04.2017U.S. Senate panel approves Trump's USTR nominee
- 25.04.2017Death toll in Venezuela's unrest rises to 26
- 25.04.2017Antarctic ice melting much faster than previously believed
- 25.04.2017Venezuela death toll rises as unrest enters fourth week
- 25.04.2017Chile rocked by 6.9-magnitude quake
- 25.04.2017Poll: Trump approval rating stands at 51 percent, despite surveys to contrary
- 25.04.2017Trump administration calls on North Korea to free jailed US citizen
- 25.04.2017Tillerson, UN to discuss possible new sanctions against N Korea - State Dept.
- 24.04.2017White House explains goal of new us 'largest ever' sanctions against Syria
- 24.04.2017Trump not labeled 1915 events 'genocide'
- 23.04.2017Mexican police shoot dead two drug cartel leaders
- 23.04.2017At Least 1 Killed, 2 Injured in San Jose Shooting
- 23.04.2017Acting head of prison in Guatemala shot dead
- 23.04.2017Mexico kills Gulf cartel boss in Reynosa shootout
- 23.04.2017Powerful floods in Ecuador kill dozens of people
- 22.04.2017Venezuelan opposition begins rally in country's capital
- 22.04.2017Trump certain china to help deal with North Korean threat
- 22.04.2017Pence says United States will honor refugee deal with Australia
- 11.03.2017Thousands rally against Dakota pipeline in US capital
- 11.03.2017US Congressman made statement on Khojaly genocide
- 11.03.2017Muhammad Ali’s son detained at US airport for second time this year
- 10.03.2017US brigade combat team test new shadow drones in Germany
- 10.03.2017Senate committee approves Trump intelligence nominee Coats
- 09.03.2017WikiLeaks will share CIA hacking tools with tech companies: Assange