US to host anti-İS coalition summit
The U.S. will host a meeting of coalition foreign ministers and senior leaders later this month, the State Department announced on Thursday, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
The March 22 gathering will be the first full meeting of the 68-member coalition since December 2014, the department said in a statement, noting that the anti-IS fight is at a "key moment.
"We are at an important stage of the fight against ISIS and will use this Ministerial to accelerate international efforts to defeat ISIS in the remaining areas it holds in Iraq and Syria and maximize pressure on its branches, affiliates, and networks," it said, referring to the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, another name for ISIS.
In addition to "a detailed discussion" of the coalition's priorities in advancing the military campaign, the ministers will address Iraq and Syria's ongoing humanitarian crises.
Smaller groups of countries have regularly met since the December 2014 meeting.
Coalition foreign ministers last met in Washington in July 2016, the department said, noting that political leaders last met in Berlin, Germany last November.
Related news releases
- 27.06.2017U.S. says it will work with travel industry to implement travel ban
- 27.06.2017Trump says Obama 'colluded' on Russia, without giving evidence
- 26.06.2017In victory for Trump, Supreme Court revives Trump travel ban
- 26.06.2017Supreme Court partially reinstates Donald Trump's travel ban
- 25.06.2017Donald Trump congratulates Muslims on Eid al-Fitr holiday marking end of Ramadan
- 25.06.2017Colombian police arrest 8 suspects in connection with Bogota shopping mall blast
- 25.06.2017One dead, one injured in California shooting
- 25.06.2017Clashes between rival criminal gangs in Mexico leaves seven people dead
- 25.06.2017US issues arrest warrants for five former VW Managers in Emissions fraud scandal
- 24.06.2017Plane crashes into empty Florida daycare building; 1 killed
- 24.06.20175.7-magnitude quake hits off Coracora, Peru
- 24.06.2017Four Venezuelan parliament workers hurt in Caracas clashes
- 23.06.2017Trump nominates Robert Wood Johnson as ambassador to UK
- 23.06.2017Canadian leader says Muslims must fight terrorism
- 22.06.2017Trump has no recordings of talks with FBI ex-director Comey
- 22.06.2017Trump says 'we have a great relationship with China' after critical tweet
- 21.06.2017US crude falls to lowest level in 10 months
- 21.06.2017US F-16 catches fire during takeoff in Texas
- 21.06.2017U.S. Attorney General Sessions hires private attorney
- 21.06.2017UN praises Turkey's hospitality towards refugees
- 21.06.2017Canada: Anti-terror law beefs up cyber threat powers
- 21.06.2017U.S. shoots down drone close to Iraqi-Syrian border
- 21.06.2017U.S. imposes new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- 21.06.2017New Mexico Lab Shutdown Endangers US Nuclear Arsenal
- 20.06.2017U.S. State Department 'mystified' by Gulf states on Qatar
- 20.06.2017Argentina police seize cache of hidden Nazi artifacts
- 20.06.2017Four Mexican federal police killed in ambush in Guerrero
- 20.06.2017Otto Warmbier, US student released from North Korea has died
- 19.06.2017Cuba calls Trump speech on island 'grotesque spectacle'
- 18.06.2017Several sailors' bodies found on stricken Navy destroyer
- 18.06.2017Explosion in Bogota shopping center kills at least three, wounds nine
- 18.06.2017U.S. welcomes Syria cease-fire, urges opposition to halt attacks
- 17.06.2017U.N. chief set to name new Libya envoy after rare contentious search
- 17.06.2017Seven U.S. soldiers wounded in insider attack at Afghan base
- 17.06.2017Trump commends Trudeau for boosting Canada’s military spending
- 16.06.2017Trump orders clampdown on Cuba travel and trade, curbing Obama detente
- 16.06.2017UN unable to confirm death of Daesh leader Baghdadi
- 16.06.2017US sending almost 4,000 extra forces to Afghanistan
- 16.06.2017U.S. Vice President hires counsel to deal with Russia probe inquiries
- 16.06.2017Senate passes new sanctions on Iran, Russia
- 11.03.2017Thousands rally against Dakota pipeline in US capital
- 11.03.2017US Congressman made statement on Khojaly genocide
- 11.03.2017Muhammad Ali’s son detained at US airport for second time this year
- 10.03.2017US brigade combat team test new shadow drones in Germany
- 10.03.2017Senate committee approves Trump intelligence nominee Coats
- 09.03.2017WikiLeaks will share CIA hacking tools with tech companies: Assange