US: Tillerson denies report he thought of resigning
Secretary of State Rex Tillerson at a surprise news conference Wednesday denied media reports he would resign from his post, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Tillerson's statement followed a report by NBC News citing unnamed senior administration officials as saying he was on the verge of resigning over the summer amid mounting policy disputes with President Donald Trump and that Vice President Mike Pence urged him to remain secretary of state at least until the end of the year.
"The vice president has never had to persuade me to remain as secretary of state because I have never considered leaving this post," Tillerson said at the news conference.
"What we have accomplished, we have accomplished as a team," he said, reaffirming his "commitment to this role".
Citing the three anonymous officials, the NBC report also claimed Tillerson called Trump a "moron" after a July 20 meeting at the Pentagon with members of Trump’s national security team and Cabinet officials.
"The places I come from, we don't deal with that kind of petty nonsense." the former Exxon Mobil CEO said. "I'm just not going to be part of this effort to divide this administration."
Trump "loves this country. He puts Americans and America first. He is smart," he added. "He demands results wherever he goes and he holds those around him accountable."
In a post on Twitter moments before Tillerson spoke, Trump said: “NBC news is #FakeNews and more dishonest than even CNN. They are a disgrace to good reporting. No wonder their news ratings are way down!”
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Trump prolongs sanctions against North Korea for another year
- 22.06.2018Venezuela to back OPEC + decisions aimed at stabilization of oil price
- 22.06.2018Pentagon asked to house up to 20,000 migrant children
- 22.06.2018US House rejects conservative immigration bill
- 21.06.2018Trump signs order halting separation of families
- 20.06.2018House to vote on Thursday on immigration bills
- 20.06.2018US withdraws from UN Human Rights Council
- 19.06.2018US, Russian top diplomats discuss Syria over phone
- 19.06.2018Trump orders creation of US 'Space Force'
- 17.06.2018Argentina to replace energy and production ministers
- 16.06.2018At least 17 dead in Venezuelan nightclub after tear gas blast
- 16.06.2018Kushner, Haley hold talks with UN chief on humanitarian needs in Gaza
- 16.06.2018U.S. warns Americans of terrorism threat at World Cup in Russia
- 16.06.2018Trump supports Republican immigration bills in U.S. House: White House
- 16.06.2018U.S. judge sends ex-Trump campaign head Manafort to jail pre-trial
- 16.06.2018Trump sets tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods; Beijing strikes back
- 15.06.2018Trump tells G7 leaders that Crimea is Russian
- 15.06.2018Pompeo says North Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearisation
- 15.06.2018UN calls for vital port of Hudaydah to stay open
- 15.06.2018Nicaragua president's foes stage nationwide strike
- 15.06.2018DoD Chief Mattis Discusses With S Korean Counterpart Results of Singapore Summit
- 15.06.2018US forces conduct airstrike in Libya, manage to kill one terrorist
- 14.06.2018Facebook's chief of communications, policy to step down
- 14.06.2018Norwegian politicians nominate Donald Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- 14.06.2018UN votes to condemn Israel's 'excessive force' against Gaza Protests
- 14.06.2018Top White House officials planning to quit
- 14.06.2018Volcanic ash forces Guatemala airport to suspend operations
- 14.06.2018Trump says summit removed North Korean nuclear threat
- 14.06.2018Antarctic thaw quickens, trillions of tonnes of ice raise sea levels
- 13.06.2018Trump, Iran spar over oil prices ahead of OPEC meeting
- 13.06.2018Trump says no war games while North Korea negotiates in good faith
- 13.06.2018New US sanctions will have no effect - Russia’s Foreign Ministry
- 13.06.2018Kim Jong-un, Donald Trump accept each other's visit invitations
- 12.06.2018UN Sec Gen: implementing agreements by US, North Korean leaders requires patience
- 12.06.2018US must sustain maximum economic pressure on Pyongyang - House Speaker
- 12.06.2018Trump top economic adviser suffers heart attack moments before Trump-Kim Summit
- 12.06.2018US sanctions new Russian entities over cyberattacks
- 12.06.2018US extradites former Panamanian president
- 11.06.2018Guterres: UN ready to play verification role in N Korea denuclearization process
- 10.06.2018Mexican parliamentary candidate shot dead after debates
- 05.10.2017Canada relaxes rules on citizenship requirements
- 05.10.2017Las Vegas gunman's girlfriend says she had 'no idea he was planning violence'
- 05.10.2017Brazilian Olympics chief arrested in bribery probe
- 04.10.2017US State Department approves sale of 3,900 F-35 bombs to Australia
- 04.10.2017Chicago tightens security for upcoming marathon event
- 03.10.2017US expels 15 Cuba officials after mysterious attacks