US soldier killed in helicopter ‘crash’ in Afghanistan
An American soldier was killed and six others injured in a helicopter crash in eastern Logar province on Friday, according to NATO-led Resolute Support Mission (RSM) on Saturday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The Taliban claim the aircraft had been shot down and put the death toll in the incident to as high as 43.
In a statement, the RSM disputed the Taliban’s version of events, asserting the crash had not been the result of any enemy action.
"We are deeply saddened by the loss of our comrade,” Gen. John Nicholson said.
"On behalf of all of Resolute Support, our heartfelt sympathies go out to the families and friends of our fallen comrade and those injured in this unfortunate event.”
Logar Governor Saleem Saleh told Anadolu Agency the helicopter crashed after taking off from Kharwar area where the U.S. and Afghan forces conducted an operation against the Taliban militants.
Taliban said the "shot down" aircraft was an American Chinook helicopter used for transporting soldiers and aid material. Zabihullah Mujahed, spokesman for the militant group, tweeted the Chinook was “gunned down” in the Begama area of Kharwar district, killing 43 American soldiers.
The Chinooks are widely used in air assault missions for inserting troops into fire bases, and later bringing food, water, and ammunition.
According to the U.S. Department of Defense estimates, a unit of the Boeing CH-47 Chinook cost up to $38.5 million, and are particularly effective in the high altitudes of Afghanistan; it can carry several tons of cargo, or up to 55 troops, and has a maximum range of 426 kilometers (265 miles).
Related news releases
- 19.06.2018US, Russian top diplomats discuss Syria over phone
- 19.06.2018Trump orders creation of US 'Space Force'
- 17.06.2018Argentina to replace energy and production ministers
- 16.06.2018At least 17 dead in Venezuelan nightclub after tear gas blast
- 16.06.2018Kushner, Haley hold talks with UN chief on humanitarian needs in Gaza
- 16.06.2018U.S. warns Americans of terrorism threat at World Cup in Russia
- 16.06.2018Trump supports Republican immigration bills in U.S. House: White House
- 16.06.2018U.S. judge sends ex-Trump campaign head Manafort to jail pre-trial
- 16.06.2018Trump sets tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods; Beijing strikes back
- 15.06.2018Trump tells G7 leaders that Crimea is Russian
- 15.06.2018Pompeo says North Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearisation
- 15.06.2018UN calls for vital port of Hudaydah to stay open
- 15.06.2018Nicaragua president's foes stage nationwide strike
- 15.06.2018DoD Chief Mattis Discusses With S Korean Counterpart Results of Singapore Summit
- 15.06.2018US forces conduct airstrike in Libya, manage to kill one terrorist
- 14.06.2018Facebook's chief of communications, policy to step down
- 14.06.2018Norwegian politicians nominate Donald Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- 14.06.2018UN votes to condemn Israel's 'excessive force' against Gaza Protests
- 14.06.2018Top White House officials planning to quit
- 14.06.2018Volcanic ash forces Guatemala airport to suspend operations
- 14.06.2018Trump says summit removed North Korean nuclear threat
- 14.06.2018Antarctic thaw quickens, trillions of tonnes of ice raise sea levels
- 13.06.2018Trump, Iran spar over oil prices ahead of OPEC meeting
- 13.06.2018Trump says no war games while North Korea negotiates in good faith
- 13.06.2018New US sanctions will have no effect - Russia’s Foreign Ministry
- 13.06.2018Kim Jong-un, Donald Trump accept each other's visit invitations
- 12.06.2018UN Sec Gen: implementing agreements by US, North Korean leaders requires patience
- 12.06.2018US must sustain maximum economic pressure on Pyongyang - House Speaker
- 12.06.2018Trump top economic adviser suffers heart attack moments before Trump-Kim Summit
- 12.06.2018US sanctions new Russian entities over cyberattacks
- 12.06.2018US extradites former Panamanian president
- 11.06.2018Guterres: UN ready to play verification role in N Korea denuclearization process
- 10.06.2018Mexican parliamentary candidate shot dead after debates
- 10.06.2018G7 nations release joint communique
- 09.06.2018Any agreement with North Korea will be 'spur of the moment': Trump
- 09.06.2018Trump demands end to 'unfair' trade after G7 summit
- 09.06.2018U.S., EU take small step on trade, but no breakthrough at G7 summit
- 09.06.2018U.N. Security Council elects five members for two-year term
- 09.06.2018Muhammad Ali family lawyer to Trump: thanks, but no pardon needed
- 08.06.2018Pompeo: Kim Jong Un has 'indicated to me personally that he is prepared to denuclearize'
- 29.10.2017Trump says will release nearly all JFK assassination files
- 30.10.2017Paul Manafort indicted with 12 counts by Russian investigation for money laundering scheme
- 30.10.2017Two ex-Trump aides charged in Russia probe, third pleads guilty
- 28.10.2017Trump underlines alliance with Turkey in surprise Republic Day message
- 28.10.2017CNN: First charges filed in Mueller investigation
- 28.10.2017Mattis says threat of nuclear attack by NKorea accelerating