US Senate confirms ex-senator Dan Coats as Director of National Intelligence
The US Senate has confirmed former Senator Dan Coats as the Director of National Intelligence, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
The Senate voted overwhelmingly in favor of the ex-senator of Indiana. Senators approved the nomination of former US Senator Coats in a 85-12 vote, while 51 votes were needed for the confirmation.
Earlier, the tally was 77-11, while the vote was ongoing.
Despite receiving overall favorable references from lawmakers and former colleagues, Coats' confirmation comes at a time of widespread criticism of Trump's relations with the intelligence community. Coats used to serve on the Senate’s Intelligence Committee.
Coats previously served as the US Ambassador to Germany under George W. Bush. Coats is believed to have arisen from the team of Dan Quayle, US Vice President during the term of President George H. W. Bush. Dan Coats has links to the elite of the Republican party and the Fellowship, a conservative and Christian lobby group in Congress.
Earlier, the US president lashed out at Senate Democrats for the failure to confirm all the executive Cabinet nominees.
Related news releases
- 20.03.2018Bolivia takes Chile to world court over maritime access
- 20.03.2018Trump sends Nowruz greetings and attacks Iranian government
- 20.03.2018Trump still wants summit of Gulf states
- 20.03.2018Russia blocks U.N. Security Council meeting on human rights in Syria
- 20.03.2018Uber halts self-driving cars after pedestrian fatality
- 19.03.2018U.S. blocks use of Venezuela's digital currency - White House
- 19.03.2018Engine failure forces Ivanka, Jared's helicopter to return to airport
- 18.03.20181 person dead in shooting at Southern California mall, authorities say
- 18.03.2018Florida officials knew about bridge crack
- 17.03.2018Trump, South Korea's Moon discuss engagement with North
- 16.03.2018US: At least 6 dead in Florida bridge collapse
- 16.03.2018At least four dead in pedestrian bridge collapse at university in Miami - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Nike brand president resigns; company probes workplace complaints
- 16.03.2018Colombia resumes peace talks with ELN rebels
- 16.03.2018Facebook Lite to launch in developed countries, including US
- 16.03.2018Broadcom tops revenue, profit on demand from smartphone makers
- 16.03.2018Several reported dead after pedestrian bridge collapses in Miami
- 15.03.2018Mueller subpoenas Trump organization, demands Russia-related docs
- 15.03.2018Explosion hits chemical plant in Texas, building ablaze - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Former Trump campaign manager Manafort files to dismiss charges
- 15.03.2018U.S. Ambassador Haley tells U.N. Russia responsible for chemical attack
- 15.03.2018Trump taps commentator Kudlow for top economic adviser
- 15.03.2018US students rally nationwide against gun violence
- 15.03.2018Russian UN Envoy: 'Unacceptable' for UK to accuse Moscow of nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018At least six die in Bolivia prison uprising
- 14.03.2018Three arrested, charged in US mosque bombing
- 13.03.2018White House fires top Tillerson aide after comments on Boss' firing
- 13.03.2018US defense secretary backs Afghan overtures to Taliban
- 13.03.2018Trump: Tillerson and I "disagreed on things" like the Iran deal
- 13.03.2018Trump sacks Rex Tillerson as state secretary
- 13.03.2018White House expects North Korea summit to happen despite Pyongyang's silence
- 13.03.2018US: House Republicans find no Trump-Russia collusion
- 13.03.2018U.S. may lift travel ban on 'important partner' Chad, Tillerson says
- 13.03.2018U.N. blames Honduras security forces for killing electoral protesters
- 12.03.2018U.S. warns if Security Council doesn't act on Syria, it will
- 12.03.2018Tillerson says several steps needed for U.S. talks with North Korea
- 11.03.2018Trump says North Korea talks could fail or bring 'greatest deal'
- 10.03.2018US Secretary of State Tillerson Ill, Cancels Africa Tour Events
- 10.03.2018Trump to rally for endangered Republican in Pennsylvania
- 10.03.20183 hostages and gunman dead at California veterans' home
- 16.03.2017US: Hack for WhatsApp discovered
- 16.03.2017Hawaii judge halts Trump's new travel ban before it can go into effect
- 16.03.2017Trump – only US president who has 8-year plan: government consultant
- 15.03.2017UN has 'no intention' to arbitrate in Cyprus talks
- 15.03.2017Snowstorm weakens after leaving at least 7 dead
- 14.03.2017US begins drone deployment to South Korea