US Senate confirms ex-senator Dan Coats as Director of National Intelligence
The US Senate has confirmed former Senator Dan Coats as the Director of National Intelligence, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
The Senate voted overwhelmingly in favor of the ex-senator of Indiana. Senators approved the nomination of former US Senator Coats in a 85-12 vote, while 51 votes were needed for the confirmation.
Earlier, the tally was 77-11, while the vote was ongoing.
Despite receiving overall favorable references from lawmakers and former colleagues, Coats' confirmation comes at a time of widespread criticism of Trump's relations with the intelligence community. Coats used to serve on the Senate’s Intelligence Committee.
Coats previously served as the US Ambassador to Germany under George W. Bush. Coats is believed to have arisen from the team of Dan Quayle, US Vice President during the term of President George H. W. Bush. Dan Coats has links to the elite of the Republican party and the Fellowship, a conservative and Christian lobby group in Congress.
Earlier, the US president lashed out at Senate Democrats for the failure to confirm all the executive Cabinet nominees.
Related news releases
- 20.08.2017Second officer dies in Florida police shooting
- 20.08.2017Veteran NAFTA negotiators likely to deflect political pressures
- 20.08.2017Counterprotest derails 'free speech' rally in US city
- 19.08.2017Boston march against right-wing rally draws thousands
- 19.08.2017Earthquake of 6.4 magnitude strikes west of Tonga
- 19.08.2017US has no intention to stay in Syria: State Dept
- 19.08.2017Romania negotiating to buy U.S. rocket systems worth $1.25 billion: Pentagon
- 19.08.2017U.S. State Department email restored after global outage
- 19.08.2017Oil jumps 3 percent as dollar falls, U.S. rig count drops
- 18.08.2017Rare US solar eclipse to help unlock sun's secrets
- 18.08.2017Trump fires adviser Bannon
- 18.08.2017UN Security Council condemns Barcelona terrorist attack
- 17.08.2017White House chief of staff briefs Trump on Barcelona incident
- 17.08.2017At least 13 dead in terror attack in Barcelona - UPDATED - VIDEO
- 17.08.2017Clashes at Venezuelan Prison Kill 37 Inmates, Wound 4
- 17.08.2017At least six killed in suspected gang attack at Guatemala hospital
- 17.08.2017Mike Pence urges four South American nations to cut contacts with North Korea
- 17.08.2017US Black Hawk missing in Hawaii, search underway for crew
- 17.08.2017Trump ends business councils after mass resignations
- 16.08.2017Explosion occurs at plaza Venezuela metro station in Caracas
- 16.08.2017Trump: Both sides to blame in Charlottesville violence
- 16.08.2017Colombia’s FARC to become political party with new name, same acronym
- 16.08.2017U.S. confident of 'peaceable' Venezuelan solution
- 16.08.2017US senator McCain urges Trump to promote free trade as NAFTA talks begin
- 15.08.2017U.S. sanctions hit Russian hopes of a 'Trump bump' for investment
- 15.08.2017Oil prices steady after overnight tumble on dollar strength
- 15.08.2017Venezuela's Maduro seeks to capitalize on Trump's military threat
- 15.08.2017Pence says 'failed state' in Venezuela threatens United States
- 15.08.2017Trump condemns KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists
- 14.08.2017Trump returns to Washington with target on China
- 14.08.2017Mike Pence: Peaceful solution to Venezuela crisis is possible
- 13.08.20172 killed in helicopter crash in U.S. state of Virginia
- 13.08.2017Emergency declared in the US as clashes erupt at hate rally
- 12.08.2017At least 1 killed, over 30 injured in Charlottesville Far-Right violence
- 12.08.2017Magnitude 5.6 quake kills 1, hurts 2 in Peru
- 12.08.2017Venezuela defense chief calls Trump threat of intervention 'crazy'
- 12.08.2017Trump: North Korea will regret any acts against US
- 12.08.2017Trump: Military option possible in Venezuela
- 12.08.2017Trump will send envoys to Middle East to discuss peace: official
- 12.08.2017US not interested in talking about back channels with North Korea
- 16.03.2017US: Hack for WhatsApp discovered
- 16.03.2017Hawaii judge halts Trump's new travel ban before it can go into effect
- 16.03.2017Trump – only US president who has 8-year plan: government consultant
- 15.03.2017UN has 'no intention' to arbitrate in Cyprus talks
- 15.03.2017Snowstorm weakens after leaving at least 7 dead
- 14.03.2017US begins drone deployment to South Korea