US Senate confirms ex-senator Dan Coats as Director of National Intelligence
The US Senate has confirmed former Senator Dan Coats as the Director of National Intelligence, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
The Senate voted overwhelmingly in favor of the ex-senator of Indiana. Senators approved the nomination of former US Senator Coats in a 85-12 vote, while 51 votes were needed for the confirmation.
Earlier, the tally was 77-11, while the vote was ongoing.
Despite receiving overall favorable references from lawmakers and former colleagues, Coats' confirmation comes at a time of widespread criticism of Trump's relations with the intelligence community. Coats used to serve on the Senate’s Intelligence Committee.
Coats previously served as the US Ambassador to Germany under George W. Bush. Coats is believed to have arisen from the team of Dan Quayle, US Vice President during the term of President George H. W. Bush. Dan Coats has links to the elite of the Republican party and the Fellowship, a conservative and Christian lobby group in Congress.
Earlier, the US president lashed out at Senate Democrats for the failure to confirm all the executive Cabinet nominees.
Related news releases
- 25.03.2017U.S. sanctions 30 firms, individuals for aiding Iran, North Korea arms programs
- 25.03.2017GOP House leader addresses media after health care replacement bill pulled
- 24.03.2017Italian Eni finds promising oil reserves off Mexican coast
- 24.03.2017Venezuela to withdraw troops after Colombia border crossing
- 24.03.2017UN Security Council calls for immediate efforts to honor permanent truce in South Sudan
- 24.03.2017State Department to approve Keystone pipeline permit on Friday
- 23.03.2017US Senate Confirms Trump Nominee David Friedman to Be US Ambassador to Israel
- 23.03.2017Belgian police arrest man after car attack attempt
- 23.03.2017Empty cartridges 4 people killed in series of shootings in US
- 23.03.2017US Secretary of State: 'I did not want this job'
- 19.03.2017Trump wants to build 30-foot-high wall at Mexican border
- 19.03.2017Legendary Rock'n'Roll icon Chuck Berry dies at 90
- 19.03.2017Venezuela prison mass grave yields 15 corpses, three headless
- 19.03.2017Man detained after hopping bike-rack barrier near White House
- 18.03.2017Trump: US ideally seeks peaceful solution to Ukraine conflict
- 18.03.2017In first Trump-Merkel meeting, awkward body language and a quip
- 17.03.2017Tillerson delivers stark warning to North Korea of possible military response
- 17.03.2017US considers Syria-Israel fire exchange to be bilateral matter - Pentagon
- 17.03.2017Iran sentences daughter of late president to jail for second time
- 17.03.2017McDonald's deletes Trump tweet, says Twitter account compromised
- 16.03.2017U.S. Secretary of State to visit Turkey on March 30
- 16.03.2017Treasury's Mnuchin says Trump doesn't want trade wars
- 12.03.2017High profile US prosecutor Bharara fired
- 11.03.2017Death toll in Guatemala's youth shelter fire rises to 38
- 11.03.2017'White House intruder' arrested on grounds while Trump at residence - UPDATED
- 11.03.2017Muhammad Ali’s son detained at US airport for second time this year
- 11.03.2017US Congressman made statement on Khojaly genocide
- 11.03.2017Thousands rally against Dakota pipeline in US capital
- 10.03.2017US to host anti-İS coalition summit
- 10.03.2017US brigade combat team test new shadow drones in Germany
- 10.03.2017Senate committee approves Trump intelligence nominee Coats
- 09.03.2017WikiLeaks will share CIA hacking tools with tech companies: Assange
- 08.03.2017UN Security Council condemns North Korea launches
- 08.03.2017OPEC begins dialogue with US shale oil
- 08.03.2017Train collides with charter bus in Mississippi, at least 3 killed
- 07.03.2017Trump says he is working on plan to bring down drug prices
- 07.03.2017WikiLeaks claims to reveal US spy agency's secrets
- 07.03.2017Trump blames Obama over Russia's annexation of Crimea
- 07.03.2017Trump says us uses whole spectrum of military capabilities to deter N. Korea
- 07.03.2017UN nuclear agency confident of cooperation with Trump administration
- 16.03.2017US: Hack for WhatsApp discovered
- 16.03.2017Hawaii judge halts Trump's new travel ban before it can go into effect
- 16.03.2017Trump – only US president who has 8-year plan: government consultant
- 15.03.2017UN has 'no intention' to arbitrate in Cyprus talks
- 15.03.2017Snowstorm weakens after leaving at least 7 dead
- 14.03.2017US begins drone deployment to South Korea