US Secretary of State Tillerson Ill, Cancels Africa Tour Events
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has fallen ill while on tour in Africa and has cancelled several events on his diplomatic schedule, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
Tillerson, currently on a round of diplomatic visits to the governments of Kenya, Chad, Nigeria, Djibouti and Ethiopia, was announced by US state department representatives to have fallen ill on Saturday in Nairobi, according to The Hill.
"The secretary is not feeling well after a long couple days working on major issues back home such as North Korea," stated undersecretary of State for public diplomacy and public affairs Steve Goldstein, while on tour with Tillerson.
Goldstein added that, "some events will go ahead without [Tillerson], while they are looking at the possibility of rescheduling others," cited by The Hill.
Tillerson's Saturday schedule in Kenya had included an event for the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, as well as a wreath-laying ceremony and a meeting with Americans working at the US embassy in the country's capital.
Earlier, Bloomberg had reported that the US secretary of state would resume his schedule on Sunday, although no confirmation has been provided by Tillerson's entourage.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018Operation desert storm memorial to be built in Washington, DC
- 23.06.2018Trump urges Republican lawmakers to drop immigration bill until election
- 22.06.2018Trump prolongs sanctions against North Korea for another year
- 22.06.2018Venezuela to back OPEC + decisions aimed at stabilization of oil price
- 22.06.2018Pentagon asked to house up to 20,000 migrant children
- 22.06.2018US House rejects conservative immigration bill
- 21.06.2018Trump signs order halting separation of families
- 20.06.2018House to vote on Thursday on immigration bills
- 20.06.2018US withdraws from UN Human Rights Council
- 19.06.2018US, Russian top diplomats discuss Syria over phone
- 19.06.2018Trump orders creation of US 'Space Force'
- 17.06.2018Argentina to replace energy and production ministers
- 16.06.2018At least 17 dead in Venezuelan nightclub after tear gas blast
- 16.06.2018Kushner, Haley hold talks with UN chief on humanitarian needs in Gaza
- 16.06.2018U.S. warns Americans of terrorism threat at World Cup in Russia
- 16.06.2018Trump supports Republican immigration bills in U.S. House: White House
- 16.06.2018U.S. judge sends ex-Trump campaign head Manafort to jail pre-trial
- 16.06.2018Trump sets tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods; Beijing strikes back
- 15.06.2018Trump tells G7 leaders that Crimea is Russian
- 15.06.2018Pompeo says North Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearisation
- 15.06.2018UN calls for vital port of Hudaydah to stay open
- 15.06.2018Nicaragua president's foes stage nationwide strike
- 15.06.2018DoD Chief Mattis Discusses With S Korean Counterpart Results of Singapore Summit
- 15.06.2018US forces conduct airstrike in Libya, manage to kill one terrorist
- 14.06.2018Facebook's chief of communications, policy to step down
- 14.06.2018Norwegian politicians nominate Donald Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- 14.06.2018UN votes to condemn Israel's 'excessive force' against Gaza Protests
- 14.06.2018Top White House officials planning to quit
- 14.06.2018Volcanic ash forces Guatemala airport to suspend operations
- 14.06.2018Trump says summit removed North Korean nuclear threat
- 14.06.2018Antarctic thaw quickens, trillions of tonnes of ice raise sea levels
- 13.06.2018Trump, Iran spar over oil prices ahead of OPEC meeting
- 13.06.2018Trump says no war games while North Korea negotiates in good faith
- 13.06.2018New US sanctions will have no effect - Russia’s Foreign Ministry
- 13.06.2018Kim Jong-un, Donald Trump accept each other's visit invitations
- 12.06.2018UN Sec Gen: implementing agreements by US, North Korean leaders requires patience
- 12.06.2018US must sustain maximum economic pressure on Pyongyang - House Speaker
- 12.06.2018Trump top economic adviser suffers heart attack moments before Trump-Kim Summit
- 12.06.2018US sanctions new Russian entities over cyberattacks
- 12.06.2018US extradites former Panamanian president
- 11.03.2018Trump says North Korea talks could fail or bring 'greatest deal'
- 12.03.2018Tillerson says several steps needed for U.S. talks with North Korea
- 12.03.2018U.S. warns if Security Council doesn't act on Syria, it will
- 10.03.2018Trump to rally for endangered Republican in Pennsylvania
- 10.03.20183 hostages and gunman dead at California veterans' home
- 10.03.2018U.S. seeks 'concrete actions' from North Korea before talks