US Secretary of State Tillerson Ill, Cancels Africa Tour Events
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has fallen ill while on tour in Africa and has cancelled several events on his diplomatic schedule, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
Tillerson, currently on a round of diplomatic visits to the governments of Kenya, Chad, Nigeria, Djibouti and Ethiopia, was announced by US state department representatives to have fallen ill on Saturday in Nairobi, according to The Hill.
"The secretary is not feeling well after a long couple days working on major issues back home such as North Korea," stated undersecretary of State for public diplomacy and public affairs Steve Goldstein, while on tour with Tillerson.
Goldstein added that, "some events will go ahead without [Tillerson], while they are looking at the possibility of rescheduling others," cited by The Hill.
Tillerson's Saturday schedule in Kenya had included an event for the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief, as well as a wreath-laying ceremony and a meeting with Americans working at the US embassy in the country's capital.
Earlier, Bloomberg had reported that the US secretary of state would resume his schedule on Sunday, although no confirmation has been provided by Tillerson's entourage.
Related news releases
- 18.03.20181 person dead in shooting at Southern California mall, authorities say
- 18.03.2018Florida officials knew about bridge crack
- 17.03.2018Trump, South Korea's Moon discuss engagement with North
- 16.03.2018US: At least 6 dead in Florida bridge collapse
- 16.03.2018At least four dead in pedestrian bridge collapse at university in Miami - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Nike brand president resigns; company probes workplace complaints
- 16.03.2018Colombia resumes peace talks with ELN rebels
- 16.03.2018Facebook Lite to launch in developed countries, including US
- 16.03.2018Broadcom tops revenue, profit on demand from smartphone makers
- 16.03.2018Several reported dead after pedestrian bridge collapses in Miami
- 15.03.2018Mueller subpoenas Trump organization, demands Russia-related docs
- 15.03.2018Explosion hits chemical plant in Texas, building ablaze - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Former Trump campaign manager Manafort files to dismiss charges
- 15.03.2018U.S. Ambassador Haley tells U.N. Russia responsible for chemical attack
- 15.03.2018Trump taps commentator Kudlow for top economic adviser
- 15.03.2018US students rally nationwide against gun violence
- 15.03.2018Russian UN Envoy: 'Unacceptable' for UK to accuse Moscow of nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018At least six die in Bolivia prison uprising
- 14.03.2018Three arrested, charged in US mosque bombing
- 13.03.2018White House fires top Tillerson aide after comments on Boss' firing
- 13.03.2018US defense secretary backs Afghan overtures to Taliban
- 13.03.2018Trump: Tillerson and I "disagreed on things" like the Iran deal
- 13.03.2018Trump sacks Rex Tillerson as state secretary
- 13.03.2018White House expects North Korea summit to happen despite Pyongyang's silence
- 13.03.2018US: House Republicans find no Trump-Russia collusion
- 13.03.2018U.S. may lift travel ban on 'important partner' Chad, Tillerson says
- 13.03.2018U.N. blames Honduras security forces for killing electoral protesters
- 10.03.2018UN welcomes planned Trump-Kim meeting
- 08.03.2018Alabama student dies in accidental school shooting: officials
- 08.03.2018U.N. urges Syria to ensure truce for Ghouta aid convoy on Thursday
- 07.03.2018UN secretary-general: Gender inequality and discrimination against women harms us all
- 07.03.2018U.S. President's top economic adviser stepping down
- 07.03.2018State Dept sanctions DPRK for using agent VX to kill Kim Jong Un’s half-brother
- 07.03.2018International nuclear fusion project seeks reversal of Trump budget cuts
- 07.03.2018Trump, Swedish PM clash over looming metals tariffs
- 07.03.2018Trump sees 'possible progress' in North Korea denuclearization
- 06.03.2018US will withdraw from Iran nuclear deal unless it is fixed soon – Pence
- 06.03.2018Florida state Senate votes against arming most classroom teachers
- 06.03.2018Security clearance downgrade did not affect Kushner's Mideast role: White House
- 06.03.2018Former Trump aide Nunberg says he will not cooperate with Russia probe
- 11.03.2018Trump says North Korea talks could fail or bring 'greatest deal'
- 12.03.2018Tillerson says several steps needed for U.S. talks with North Korea
- 12.03.2018U.S. warns if Security Council doesn't act on Syria, it will
- 10.03.2018Trump to rally for endangered Republican in Pennsylvania
- 10.03.20183 hostages and gunman dead at California veterans' home
- 10.03.2018U.S. seeks 'concrete actions' from North Korea before talks