US sanctions Iranian entities for 'rights abuses'
The U.S. on Wednesday issued further sanctions on Iranian entities as well as a conservative semi-official organization for alleged "rights abuses", APA reports quoting Reuters.
The Treasury Department described Ansar-e Hezbollah, the designated semi-official organization, as "an organization supported by the Iranian regime that harasses and attacks the Iranian people", blaming it for acid attacks targeting women not dressed in line with the government's standards, and attacks on Iranian students in collaboration with the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guards' Basij volunteer militia.
Three senior Ansar-e Hezbollah officials -- Abdolhamid Mohtasham, Hossein Allahkaram and Hamid Ostad -- were also designated by the Treasury.
The notorious Evin Prison was also designated. It has been one of the main facilities used by the Iranian government to imprison political dissidents, and the Treasury said those held at Evin "are subject to brutal tactics inflicted by prison authorities, including sexual assaults, physical assaults, and electric shock".
In addition, two Iranian government officials were designated for allegedly participating in domestic censorship, as well as the Hanista Programming Group and the director general of Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting, Abdulali Ali-Asgari.
The broadcasting organization was previously blacklisted in 2013 over censorship allegations.
“Iran not only exports terrorism and instability across the world, it routinely violates the rights of its own people," Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a statement.
Related news releases
- 21.06.2018Trump signs order halting separation of families
- 20.06.2018House to vote on Thursday on immigration bills
- 20.06.2018US withdraws from UN Human Rights Council
- 19.06.2018US, Russian top diplomats discuss Syria over phone
- 19.06.2018Trump orders creation of US 'Space Force'
- 17.06.2018Argentina to replace energy and production ministers
- 16.06.2018At least 17 dead in Venezuelan nightclub after tear gas blast
- 16.06.2018Kushner, Haley hold talks with UN chief on humanitarian needs in Gaza
- 16.06.2018U.S. warns Americans of terrorism threat at World Cup in Russia
- 16.06.2018Trump supports Republican immigration bills in U.S. House: White House
- 16.06.2018U.S. judge sends ex-Trump campaign head Manafort to jail pre-trial
- 16.06.2018Trump sets tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods; Beijing strikes back
- 15.06.2018Trump tells G7 leaders that Crimea is Russian
- 15.06.2018Pompeo says North Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearisation
- 15.06.2018UN calls for vital port of Hudaydah to stay open
- 15.06.2018Nicaragua president's foes stage nationwide strike
- 15.06.2018DoD Chief Mattis Discusses With S Korean Counterpart Results of Singapore Summit
- 15.06.2018US forces conduct airstrike in Libya, manage to kill one terrorist
- 14.06.2018Facebook's chief of communications, policy to step down
- 14.06.2018Norwegian politicians nominate Donald Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- 14.06.2018UN votes to condemn Israel's 'excessive force' against Gaza Protests
- 14.06.2018Top White House officials planning to quit
- 14.06.2018Volcanic ash forces Guatemala airport to suspend operations
- 14.06.2018Trump says summit removed North Korean nuclear threat
- 14.06.2018Antarctic thaw quickens, trillions of tonnes of ice raise sea levels
- 13.06.2018Trump, Iran spar over oil prices ahead of OPEC meeting
- 13.06.2018Trump says no war games while North Korea negotiates in good faith
- 13.06.2018New US sanctions will have no effect - Russia’s Foreign Ministry
- 13.06.2018Kim Jong-un, Donald Trump accept each other's visit invitations
- 12.06.2018UN Sec Gen: implementing agreements by US, North Korean leaders requires patience
- 12.06.2018US must sustain maximum economic pressure on Pyongyang - House Speaker
- 12.06.2018Trump top economic adviser suffers heart attack moments before Trump-Kim Summit
- 12.06.2018US sanctions new Russian entities over cyberattacks
- 12.06.2018US extradites former Panamanian president
- 11.06.2018Guterres: UN ready to play verification role in N Korea denuclearization process
- 10.06.2018Mexican parliamentary candidate shot dead after debates
- 10.06.2018G7 nations release joint communique
- 09.06.2018Any agreement with North Korea will be 'spur of the moment': Trump
- 09.06.2018Trump demands end to 'unfair' trade after G7 summit
- 09.06.2018U.S., EU take small step on trade, but no breakthrough at G7 summit
- 31.05.2018North Korea official in U.S. for talks on summit, differences remain
- 31.05.2018White House sounds optimistic note that North Korea summit to take place
- 31.05.2018Donald Trump: Denuclearization of North Korea would cover its missiles
- 30.05.2018Pompeo, Lavrov discuss Syrian and Ukrainian crises
- 30.05.2018US denies reaching agreement with Turkey on Manbij
- 30.05.2018Starbucks closes 8,000 stores for anti-bias training