US sanctions head of Iran's central bank
The U.S. on Tuesday sanctioned the head of Iran's central bank and another senior bank official, claiming they have been key to funneling money to the external operations unit of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) and Lebanese Hezbollah, APA reports quoting AA.
Valiollah Seif was blacklisted by the Treasury Department for allegedly moving "millions of dollars through the international financial system" in support of the IRGC's Quds Force (IRGC-QF).
“It is appalling, but not surprising, that Iran’s senior-most banking official would conspire with the IRGC-QF to facilitate funding of terror groups like Hizballah, and it undermines any credibility he could claim in protecting the integrity of the institution as a central bank governor," Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said in a statement, using an alternate spelling for Hezbollah.
Also sanctioned Monday are an Iraqi bank, its chairman, and Ali Tarzali, who Treasury said is "the assistant director of the International Department at the Central Bank of Iran".
Despite Tarzali and Seif's designations, the Central Bank of Iran itself remains unsanctioned, according to the department.
It noted, however, that following President Donald Trump's withdrawal from the international accord Iran struck with world powers in 2015, previously existing sanctions will be re-applied to "certain transactions" with Iran's Central Bank, including purchases or acquisition of U.S. dollars by the bank.
That will begin Aug. 7 followed by more robust sanctions on individuals who "knowingly" engage in certain "significant transactions" with the central bank starting Nov. 5.
Related news releases
- 21.05.2018U.S. toughens stance on Iran, lists sweeping demands
- 20.05.201822 injured after flash fire at plant near Pasadena
- 20.05.2018110 Confirmed Dead in Cuba Boeing 737 Plane Crash
- 19.05.2018Crashed Cuban plane's passengers included five foreigners plus crew: state media
- 19.05.2018U.S. sanctions No. 2 official in Venezuela's Socialist party
- 19.05.2018More than 100 killed in passenger plane crash in Cuba - UPDATED-1
- 18.05.2018In speech, Pompeo to call for 'broad support' against Iran
- 18.05.2018Senate approves Gina Haspel as next CIA director
- 18.05.2018PayPal in talks to buy Sweden's iZettle in $2.2 billion deal: WSJ
- 18.05.2018'Loner' student shoots and kills 10 at Texas school - UPDATED
- 18.05.2018US says ready to defend as Russia deploys in Mediterranean
- 17.05.2018China becomes spoiled on trade, trade deal unlikely to happen - Trump - UPDATED
- 17.05.2018Scope of drills unchanged amid preparations to Summit with Kim - Pentagon
- 17.05.2018Canada's Trudeau says feeling positive about NAFTA talks
- 17.05.2018Explosive eruption occurs at Hawaii's Kilauea volcano
- 17.05.2018Key senators: 'no doubt' Russia sought to interfere in U.S. election
- 17.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Arkansas
- 17.05.2018U.S. sanctions Hezbollah leader Nasrallah, deputy Qassem
- 17.05.2018UN 'collapsed' in face of Gaza killings: Turkish leader
- 16.05.2018Trump says 'We'll see' on North Korea summit, to insist on denuclearization
- 15.05.2018U.S. blames Hamas for deadly Gaza violence
- 13.05.2018Trump welcomes North Korea's decision to dismantle nuclear test site
- 12.05.2018US condemns Iranian 'destabilizing influence' in region
- 11.05.2018Trump seeks 'very meaningful' summit in Singapore with North Korea
- 11.05.2018White House Reveals Reasons Singapore Chosen for Kim-Trump Summit
- 11.05.2018SpaceX postpones first commercial launch of updated Falcon 9 rocket
- 10.05.2018US Imposes New Sanctions on Iran
- 10.05.2018Trump-Kim Jong-un summit set for Singapore on 12 June
- 10.05.2018US to address shortcomings in Iran deal: Mattis
- 10.05.2018Americans freed by North Korea before Trump-Kim summit head home
- 10.05.2018Trump says U.S.-North Korea summit will not be at demilitarized zone
- 10.05.2018Trump warns Iran over resuming nuclear program
- 09.05.2018UN chief ‘deeply concerned’ by US decision to exit Iran nuclear deal
- 09.05.2018US lists additional demands for Iran beyond halting nuclear program
- 09.05.2018Mexico candidate murdered, sixth in just over a week
- 09.05.2018US State Secretary Michael Pompeo arrives in North Korean capital
- 09.05.2018U.S. Senators Accuse Russia of Campaign Against 2016 Vote
- 09.05.2018US expressed readiness to work with Pashinyan
- 09.05.2018Oil recoups some losses after Trump pulls U.S. from Iran nuclear deal
- 09.05.2018US Treasury to reimpose sanctions on Iranian energy, shipbuilding sectors
- 16.05.2018Mexico central bank to create cyber security unit after hack
- 16.05.2018Ash cloud from Hawaii volcano sparks aviation red alert
- 16.05.2018Trump tweets: China has 'much to give' in trade negotiations
- 15.05.2018Facebook suspends 200 apps over mishandled user data
- 15.05.2018North, South Korea to hold high-level inter-Korea talks on May 16
- 15.05.2018US First Lady Undergoes Kidney Surgery at Military Hospital