US Navy to deploy first F-35Cs to Korean Peninsula in 2021
The US Navy plans to forward-deploy its fifth-generation F-35Cs near the Korean Peninsula sometime after 2021, a service spokeswoman said this week, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
"The US Navy places its most advanced and combat-capable units in the forward deployed naval force. This future upgrade will enhance the capabilities of the air wing and its mission to defend Japan and contribute to regional security," Naval Forces Japan spokesman Reann Mommsen told Stars and Stripes on Monday.
The F-35 comes in three variants: F-35A for the US Air Force, F-35B for the US Marine Corps and F-35C for the US Navy. The F-35A and F-35B are currently deployed around the world, but the F-35C has yet to be declared operational for missions. The jets' delays have been so severe as to force the government buy 24 new F/A-18 Super Hornets in its recently passed omnibus spending bill.
A squadron of F-35Bs with the 31st US Marine Expeditionary Unit was flying around the East China Sea in early March as part of a forward deployment on the USS Wasp amphibious assault ship.
While some military analysts point to aircraft carriers as a relic of the past, the US Department of Defense clearly sees naval aviation as an important part of national security. The US Navy is building large new Ford-class supercarriers and Washington seems eager to make a double-buy on carriers next year.
In addition to expanding the supercarrier fleet from 10 to 12 as a matter of standard policy — a policy called for by a force restructuring review and signed into law by President Donald Trump in the 2018 National Defense Authorization Act — the Marines' amphibious assault vessels have been"optimized for aviation capability," according to a fact sheet.
Two of the three F-35 models are dedicated strictly to naval aviation. According to warplane manufacturer Lockheed Martin, "the F-35C variant has larger wings and more robust landing gear than the other variants, making it suitable for catapult launches and fly-in arrestments aboard naval aircraft carriers. Its wingtips also fold to allow for more room on the carrier's deck while deployed."
F-35Cs recently completed more than 100 trial flights on the USS Abraham Lincoln, but to due delays with developing and testing the Block 3F software — a vital missions system — the plane likely won't reach initial operating status until 2019.
Related news releases
- 22.07.2018Los Angeles Police Arrest Man Barricaded at Trader Joe's Grocery Store
- 21.07.2018Ecuador to withdraw asylum for Julian Assange
- 21.07.2018Ex-Colombian guerrillas sworn into Congress
- 21.07.2018Missouri boat accident kills 17, including nine from one family
- 21.07.2018U.S. urges strict U.N. sanctions until North Korea acts on denuclearization
- 20.07.2018Trump, Putin discussed Syria crisis, returning refugees: Pompeo
- 20.07.2018US: Mattis opposes bid to remove Turkey from F-35 program
- 20.07.2018Pompeo: Possible Trump-Putin meeting in Washington 'All to the Good'
- 20.07.2018Pompeo: Trump set up communications channel with Russia in Helsinki
- 20.07.2018At least 8 dead, 10 injured as tourist vessel capsizes in Missouri - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018At least 7 injured after Tornado hits Iowa factory
- 20.07.2018Trump slams EU over $5 billion fine on Google
- 20.07.2018US immigrant group rejects huge donation
- 20.07.2018Donald Trump invites Putin to the White House
- 19.07.2018Trump says China's currency dropping like a rock - UPDATED
- 19.07.2018Trump says EU officials want to negotiate trade deal in Washington visit
- 19.07.2018Trump says he holds Putin personally responsible for election meddling
- 18.07.2018Trump says Russia no longer targeting US
- 18.07.2018Trump asked eight times to meet Iran president at UN last year
- 18.07.2018Japan, EU sign free trade pact amid worries about Trump
- 18.07.2018Military aircraft crashed in Mexico
- 18.07.2018US Senate Democrats Demand Probe of Putin-Trump Summit
- 18.07.2018Trump says he, Putin discussed North Korea, curbing global nuclear weapons
- 18.07.2018Boeing CEO says Embraer deal offers thrifty suppliers more volume
- 18.07.2018Boy killed during protest in southern Venezuela: police
- 18.07.2018Trump tries to calm political storm over Putin summit, says he misspoke
- 18.07.2018Three teens shot, one critically, in U.S. state of North Carolina
- 17.07.2018Communist-run Cuba starts rolling out internet on mobile phones
- 17.07.2018US judge halts deportations of immigrant families
- 17.07.2018Flying 'lava bomb' injures 13 off coast of Hawaii's big island
- 17.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 17.07.2018Russian Student Arrested in Washington DC, Charged as Foreign Agent
- 16.07.2018Trump says U.S. must find ways to cooperate with Russia
- 16.07.2018Iran sues US for re-imposing sanctions
- 15.07.2018Trump says intends to run for president in 2020
- 15.07.201825 injured after bus overturns on Los Angeles freeway
- 14.07.2018UN General Assembly Reaches global deal on migration
- 14.07.2018UN Security Council imposes arms embargo on South Sudan
- 13.07.2018US indicts 12 Russian spies for 2016 election hacking
- 13.07.2018Department of State: The US strongly supports the Southern Gas Corridor project
- 04.04.2018Shooting at YouTube in California wounds at least three, female suspect dead - VIDEO - UPDATED
- 04.04.2018Trump to send military to Mexican border
- 04.04.2018Microsoft calls for dismissal of U.S. Supreme Court privacy fight
- 03.04.2018Trump suggests Saudi Arabia may have to pay Syria bill
- 03.04.2018Trump wants to pull troops out of Syria
- 03.04.2018Kremlin says Trump suggested Putin visit the White House