US Navy’s next-gen ballistic missile submarines just got cheaper
The Columbia-class ballistic missile submarine that will eventually be used by the US Navy is estimated to cost upwards of $7 billion per unit, according to a new report, and apparently to the Navy, that’s a steal, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
Officials said that without certain cost-saving measures the price could have been even higher, USNI News reported November 6.
"Through innovative legislative authority and contracting techniques, we've already reduced cost by $80 million per hull, to bring [average procurement unit cost or APUC] down to $7.21 [billion]," Rear Adm. Michael Jabaley said at the Naval Submarine League's yearly symposium held from November 1-2.
The official said the Navy would like to get the price down to less than $7 billion APUC "because from a budgetary standpoint," every dollar spent on the Columbia-class subs is money that can't be spent on something else, "whether it's another ship, another squadron of airplanes, whatever."
Jabaley's comments echoed worries mentioned by the US Congress' think tank, the Congressional Research Service, which said in a September 14 research brief, "observers are concerned about the impact the Columbia-class program will have on the Navy's ability to fund procurement of other types of ship at desired rates in the 2020s and early 2030s."
The government awarded General Dynamics Electric Boat a $5 billion contract in September to expedite the program in order to build and deliver all 12 submarines "on time," Will Lennon, vice president at Electric Boat, said at the time.
The program's total cost is estimated around $100 billion, and the first vessel could be commissioned as soon as 2028.
Related news releases
- 19.01.2018US calls on Turkey not to take action in Syria’s Afrin
- 18.01.2018UN issues list of 5 alternative names for Macedonia
- 18.01.2018Train crashes in Mexico City suburb, killing at least five
- 18.01.2018Trump denies U.S. embassy to be moved to Jerusalem within a year
- 18.01.2018Trump accuses Russia of helping North Korea evade sanctions; says U.S. needs more missile defense
- 18.01.2018At least 5 dead as winter storm wracks southern US
- 18.01.2018US will consider Turkey’s concerns about PKK: Tillerson
- 18.01.2018U.S. signals open-ended presence in Syria
- 17.01.2018Venezuela helicopter pilot Oscar Pérez killed in raid
- 17.01.2018U.S.-led meeting urges North Korea pressure despite North-South detente
- 17.01.2018Internal solution to Syria would be better: UN chief
- 17.01.2018US withholds $65M aid to Palestine: State Dept
- 17.01.2018Trump administration to appeal 'Dreamer' immigrant ruling
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 13.01.2018Reluctant Trump grants sanctions relief to Iran one last time
- 12.01.2018Trump uses vulgarity in describing Haiti, African nations
- 12.01.2018Zuckerberg announces new changes to Facebook
- 12.01.2018Trump says he has a "very good relationship" with Kim Jong Un
- 12.01.2018Key Fed official slams U.S. tax cuts for imperiling economy
- 12.01.2018US Treasury to impose new sanctions on Iran
- 11.01.2018Trump to attend Davos economic forum: White House
- 11.01.2018State Dep't: US to fight Iran's presence in Syria with aggressive sanctions
- 11.01.2018Trump says US could stay in Paris climate accord
- 11.01.2018Death toll rises to 17 in California mudslides
- 11.01.2018US: Pence to head delegation to South Korea Olympics
- 11.01.2018U.S. concerned by Iran crackdown, 'will not remain silent': White House
- 10.01.2018Trump says U.S. open to talks with North Korea: White House
- 10.01.2018Magnitude 7.6 earthquake strikes off Central America
- 10.01.2018Death toll reaches 13 killed in Southern California deluge - UPDATED - VİDEO - UPDATED
- 08.11.2017Texas shooting: Gunman 'escaped mental hospital in 2012'
- 08.11.2017Twitter rolls out 280-character tweets to most users
- 08.11.2017US blames Iran for missile attack on Saudi airport
- 07.11.2017House Republicans seek U.S. tax vote next week; Fitch warns on deficit
- 07.11.2017Senate banking panel backs new North Korea sanctions
- 07.11.2017Trump requests over $5bln extra defense spending for North Korea, Afghanistan