US Navy’s next-gen ballistic missile submarines just got cheaper
The Columbia-class ballistic missile submarine that will eventually be used by the US Navy is estimated to cost upwards of $7 billion per unit, according to a new report, and apparently to the Navy, that’s a steal, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
Officials said that without certain cost-saving measures the price could have been even higher, USNI News reported November 6.
"Through innovative legislative authority and contracting techniques, we've already reduced cost by $80 million per hull, to bring [average procurement unit cost or APUC] down to $7.21 [billion]," Rear Adm. Michael Jabaley said at the Naval Submarine League's yearly symposium held from November 1-2.
The official said the Navy would like to get the price down to less than $7 billion APUC "because from a budgetary standpoint," every dollar spent on the Columbia-class subs is money that can't be spent on something else, "whether it's another ship, another squadron of airplanes, whatever."
Jabaley's comments echoed worries mentioned by the US Congress' think tank, the Congressional Research Service, which said in a September 14 research brief, "observers are concerned about the impact the Columbia-class program will have on the Navy's ability to fund procurement of other types of ship at desired rates in the 2020s and early 2030s."
The government awarded General Dynamics Electric Boat a $5 billion contract in September to expedite the program in order to build and deliver all 12 submarines "on time," Will Lennon, vice president at Electric Boat, said at the time.
The program's total cost is estimated around $100 billion, and the first vessel could be commissioned as soon as 2028.
Related news releases
- 17.07.2018US judge halts deportations of immigrant families
- 17.07.2018Flying 'lava bomb' injures 13 off coast of Hawaii's big island
- 17.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 17.07.2018Russian Student Arrested in Washington DC, Charged as Foreign Agent
- 16.07.2018Trump says U.S. must find ways to cooperate with Russia
- 16.07.2018Iran sues US for re-imposing sanctions
- 15.07.2018Trump says intends to run for president in 2020
- 15.07.201825 injured after bus overturns on Los Angeles freeway
- 14.07.2018UN General Assembly Reaches global deal on migration
- 14.07.2018UN Security Council imposes arms embargo on South Sudan
- 13.07.2018US indicts 12 Russian spies for 2016 election hacking
- 13.07.2018Department of State: The US strongly supports the Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.07.2018Donald Trump: May presses case for US trade deal at dinner
- 12.07.2018Trump says ready to help some NATO states buy U.S. arms
- 12.07.2018US mulls sanctions on Russia, China for importing Iranian oil
- 11.07.2018US State Department accuses Iran of using Embassies for terror plots
- 11.07.2018US announces additional tariffs on $200 bln in Chinese goods
- 10.07.2018Trump pardons ranchers whose case ignited standoff
- 10.07.2018US secretary of state meets with Abu Dhabi crown prince
- 10.07.2018Trump-Putin meeting to focus on Syria, Ukraine – Pompeo
- 10.07.2018Up to 70 people dead after Quebec heat wave
- 10.07.2018Trump decides on Supreme Court pick, announcement to come
- 10.07.2018Trump scolds NATO members days ahead of summit
- 08.07.2018Anti-gun protesters partly block major Chicago freeway
- 07.07.2018Mexico's next president aims to end foreign fuel imports in three years
- 06.07.2018At least 24 dead in fireworks accident in Mexico
- 06.07.2018Under fire for ethics scandals, EPA chief Pruitt resigns
- 05.07.2018Shooting in Los Angeles, 3 killed
- 05.07.2018Trump names former Fox News president to Communications Team - White House
- 05.07.2018Extreme heat wave in Canada claims at least 19 lives
- 05.07.2018Bolivian President Morales has emergency surgery for tumor
- 05.07.2018U.S. softens North Korea approach as Pompeo prepares for more nuclear talks
- 05.07.2018Trump to OPEC: 'Reduce pricing now!'
- 04.07.2018US: Pompeo, Lavrov discuss Trump-Putin summit in July
- 04.07.2018Two critically injured in elementary school shooting in Kansas
- 03.07.2018Pompeo to make third visit to North Korea
- 03.07.2018US wants to reduce Iran's oil revenue to zero
- 01.07.2018Saudi king said will boost oil output if needed: White House
- 30.06.2018Thousands march for 'Families Belong Together' rallies in US
- 30.06.2018Trump says Saudi king agreed to raise oil output by up to 2 million barrels
- 08.11.2017Texas shooting: Gunman 'escaped mental hospital in 2012'
- 08.11.2017Twitter rolls out 280-character tweets to most users
- 08.11.2017US blames Iran for missile attack on Saudi airport
- 07.11.2017House Republicans seek U.S. tax vote next week; Fitch warns on deficit
- 07.11.2017Senate banking panel backs new North Korea sanctions
- 07.11.2017Trump requests over $5bln extra defense spending for North Korea, Afghanistan