US Navy commissions new Arleigh Burke-class destroyer at Pearl Harbor base
The US Navy commissioned new Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer John Finn in a ceremony, which took place at the US military base in Hawaii’s island of Pearl Harbor, the US Department of Defense said in a statement, APA reports quoting BBC.
“America is a Pacific nation, a Pacific leader and a Pacific power — always has been and always will be … We believe in peace through strength — smart power backed by hard power and the ship’s hard power personified sends a clear signal to our friends and to our adversaries, that we will remain laser-focused on the Indo-Asia Pacific,” US Navy Adm. Harry B. Harris Jr. said at the ceremony on Saturday, as quoted in the statement.
The admiral noted that the new destroyer is equipped with the Aegis Baseline 9 weapon system and thus could simultaneously carry out air warfare and ballistic missile defense, according to the statement.
“USS John Finn is about to join the Pacific Fleet and the Pacom joint team… This ship and her crew are ready to sail into harm’s way and assume the critical mission of safeguarding our nation’s interests in the Indo-Asia-Pacific,” Harris said.
The ship’s commissioning took place in Pearl Harbor in commemoration of the vessel’s namesake, Chief Aviation Ordnanceman John Finn, who earned the Medal of Honor for heroism during the Japanese attack that thrust the United States into World War II. Finn passed away at the age of 100 in 2010.
The John Finn vessel is the 63rd Arleigh Burke-class destroyer and the first of its class commissioned since USS Michael Murphy joined the US fleet in 2012.
Related news releases
- 18.03.20181 person dead in shooting at Southern California mall, authorities say
- 18.03.2018Florida officials knew about bridge crack
- 17.03.2018Trump, South Korea's Moon discuss engagement with North
- 16.03.2018US: At least 6 dead in Florida bridge collapse
- 16.03.2018At least four dead in pedestrian bridge collapse at university in Miami - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Nike brand president resigns; company probes workplace complaints
- 16.03.2018Colombia resumes peace talks with ELN rebels
- 16.03.2018Facebook Lite to launch in developed countries, including US
- 16.03.2018Broadcom tops revenue, profit on demand from smartphone makers
- 16.03.2018Several reported dead after pedestrian bridge collapses in Miami
- 15.03.2018Mueller subpoenas Trump organization, demands Russia-related docs
- 15.03.2018Explosion hits chemical plant in Texas, building ablaze - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Former Trump campaign manager Manafort files to dismiss charges
- 15.03.2018U.S. Ambassador Haley tells U.N. Russia responsible for chemical attack
- 15.03.2018Trump taps commentator Kudlow for top economic adviser
- 15.03.2018US students rally nationwide against gun violence
- 15.03.2018Russian UN Envoy: 'Unacceptable' for UK to accuse Moscow of nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018At least six die in Bolivia prison uprising
- 14.03.2018Three arrested, charged in US mosque bombing
- 13.03.2018White House fires top Tillerson aide after comments on Boss' firing
- 13.03.2018US defense secretary backs Afghan overtures to Taliban
- 13.03.2018Trump: Tillerson and I "disagreed on things" like the Iran deal
- 13.03.2018Trump sacks Rex Tillerson as state secretary
- 13.03.2018White House expects North Korea summit to happen despite Pyongyang's silence
- 13.03.2018US: House Republicans find no Trump-Russia collusion
- 13.03.2018U.S. may lift travel ban on 'important partner' Chad, Tillerson says
- 13.03.2018U.N. blames Honduras security forces for killing electoral protesters
- 12.03.2018U.S. warns if Security Council doesn't act on Syria, it will
- 12.03.2018Tillerson says several steps needed for U.S. talks with North Korea
- 11.03.2018Trump says North Korea talks could fail or bring 'greatest deal'
- 10.03.2018US Secretary of State Tillerson Ill, Cancels Africa Tour Events
- 10.03.2018Trump to rally for endangered Republican in Pennsylvania
- 10.03.20183 hostages and gunman dead at California veterans' home
- 10.03.2018U.S. seeks 'concrete actions' from North Korea before talks
- 10.03.2018UN welcomes planned Trump-Kim meeting
- 08.03.2018Alabama student dies in accidental school shooting: officials
- 08.03.2018U.N. urges Syria to ensure truce for Ghouta aid convoy on Thursday
- 07.03.2018UN secretary-general: Gender inequality and discrimination against women harms us all
- 07.03.2018U.S. President's top economic adviser stepping down
- 07.03.2018State Dept sanctions DPRK for using agent VX to kill Kim Jong Un’s half-brother
- 18.07.2017Oil prices ease on signs of steady output from some producers
- 18.07.2017US to maintain dialogue with Israel on halting Iranian ambitions in Syria
- 18.07.2017US Navy tests laser weapons system in Persian Gulf
- 16.07.2017Turks in Germany mark anniversary of defeated coup
- 16.07.2017Cat killer jailed for 16 years in San Jose, California
- 15.07.2017Russian-American lobbyist attended Trump Jr. controversial meeting