US Navy commissions new Arleigh Burke-class destroyer at Pearl Harbor base
The US Navy commissioned new Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer John Finn in a ceremony, which took place at the US military base in Hawaii’s island of Pearl Harbor, the US Department of Defense said in a statement, APA reports quoting BBC.
“America is a Pacific nation, a Pacific leader and a Pacific power — always has been and always will be … We believe in peace through strength — smart power backed by hard power and the ship’s hard power personified sends a clear signal to our friends and to our adversaries, that we will remain laser-focused on the Indo-Asia Pacific,” US Navy Adm. Harry B. Harris Jr. said at the ceremony on Saturday, as quoted in the statement.
The admiral noted that the new destroyer is equipped with the Aegis Baseline 9 weapon system and thus could simultaneously carry out air warfare and ballistic missile defense, according to the statement.
“USS John Finn is about to join the Pacific Fleet and the Pacom joint team… This ship and her crew are ready to sail into harm’s way and assume the critical mission of safeguarding our nation’s interests in the Indo-Asia-Pacific,” Harris said.
The ship’s commissioning took place in Pearl Harbor in commemoration of the vessel’s namesake, Chief Aviation Ordnanceman John Finn, who earned the Medal of Honor for heroism during the Japanese attack that thrust the United States into World War II. Finn passed away at the age of 100 in 2010.
The John Finn vessel is the 63rd Arleigh Burke-class destroyer and the first of its class commissioned since USS Michael Murphy joined the US fleet in 2012.
Related news releases
- 23.11.2017U.S. welcomes Hariri's return to Lebanon: State Department official
- 23.11.2017U.S. crude pares gains, but lingers near 2-year high
- 23.11.2017U.S. calls Myanmar moves against Rohingya 'ethnic cleansing'
- 22.11.2017Attorney general says bodyguard accidentally kills Mexican Televisa exec
- 22.11.2017US calls Turkish gov’t accusations of plot in Zarrab case ‘ridiculous’
- 22.11.2017US sanctions Chinese, North Korean entities
- 22.11.2017Colombia protests Venezuelan military crossing border
- 21.11.2017UK welcomes Mugabe's resignation
- 21.11.2017Trump and Putin spoke by phone
- 21.11.2017US, Afghan forces launch anti-poppy operation
- 21.11.2017Missing Argentine submarine had reported electrical malfunction
- 20.11.2017US re-designates N Korea state sponsor of terrorism
- 19.11.2017Trump calls 'crooked' Hillary Clinton 'worst and biggest loser of all time'
- 18.11.20179 injured in large fire atop 6-story apartment building in New York
- 18.11.2017Argentine submarine goes missing for two days, major search op underway
- 18.11.2017Canada, Mexico try more flexibility as key NAFTA round opens
- 17.11.2017US official: If Turkey buys Russian systems, they can’t plug into NATO tech
- 17.11.2017Turkish businessman Reza Zarrab escapes knife attack in U.S. prison
- 17.11.2017Canadian senator dies on parliamentary trip in Colombia
- 17.11.2017South Dakota Keystone pipeline shut down after oil spill
- 17.11.2017UN Security Council rejects Russian draft on Syria chemical probe
- 17.11.2017The impeachment of President Donald Trump has officially begun
- 17.11.2017Fed's Williams calls for global rethink of monetary policy
- 17.11.2017US House passes tax reform bill, sends measure to Senate
- 16.11.2017Trump urges U.N. council to renew Syria chemical arms inquiry
- 16.11.2017More worries in Congress over cuts at U.S. State Department
- 16.11.2017US Democrats enter new articles to impeach Trump
- 15.11.2017Planned talks between Venezuelan opposition, government will not take place
- 15.11.2017U.S. security officials arrive in Israel to discuss Syria agreement
- 15.11.2017US FDA approves first 'digital pill'
- 15.11.2017Death toll as a result of a gunman in California fired at school reached - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017De Mistura: Putin, Trump create qualitatively new situation in Syrian settlement
- 14.11.2017At least 3 dead in California school shooting, shooter killed by police
- 14.11.2017Trump vows free and open Indo-Pacific region
- 14.11.2017US Army lifts ban on recruits with mental health history
- 12.11.2017Six people killed in bus-hearse crash in Mexico
- 12.11.2017Geneva talks should be the only platform for Syrian settlement - State Department
- 12.11.2017Mass graves discovered near Hawija in Iraq
- 12.11.2017Venezuela sets high-profile location for Monday debt talks
- 11.11.2017APEC ministers publish joint statement after wrangling over language
- 23.11.2017Anomalous methane-rich comet 45p could be key to understanding origins of life
- 23.11.2017Trump to meet congressional leaders next week on legislative issues -White House
- 23.11.2017Ex-Olympics doctor faces 25 to 40 years in prison