US Navy commissions new Arleigh Burke-class destroyer at Pearl Harbor base
The US Navy commissioned new Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer John Finn in a ceremony, which took place at the US military base in Hawaii’s island of Pearl Harbor, the US Department of Defense said in a statement, APA reports quoting BBC.
“America is a Pacific nation, a Pacific leader and a Pacific power — always has been and always will be … We believe in peace through strength — smart power backed by hard power and the ship’s hard power personified sends a clear signal to our friends and to our adversaries, that we will remain laser-focused on the Indo-Asia Pacific,” US Navy Adm. Harry B. Harris Jr. said at the ceremony on Saturday, as quoted in the statement.
The admiral noted that the new destroyer is equipped with the Aegis Baseline 9 weapon system and thus could simultaneously carry out air warfare and ballistic missile defense, according to the statement.
“USS John Finn is about to join the Pacific Fleet and the Pacom joint team… This ship and her crew are ready to sail into harm’s way and assume the critical mission of safeguarding our nation’s interests in the Indo-Asia-Pacific,” Harris said.
The ship’s commissioning took place in Pearl Harbor in commemoration of the vessel’s namesake, Chief Aviation Ordnanceman John Finn, who earned the Medal of Honor for heroism during the Japanese attack that thrust the United States into World War II. Finn passed away at the age of 100 in 2010.
The John Finn vessel is the 63rd Arleigh Burke-class destroyer and the first of its class commissioned since USS Michael Murphy joined the US fleet in 2012.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018Trump denies U.S. embassy to be moved to Jerusalem within a year
- 18.01.2018Trump accuses Russia of helping North Korea evade sanctions; says U.S. needs more missile defense
- 18.01.2018At least 5 dead as winter storm wracks southern US
- 18.01.2018US will consider Turkey’s concerns about PKK: Tillerson
- 18.01.2018U.S. signals open-ended presence in Syria
- 17.01.2018Venezuela helicopter pilot Oscar Pérez killed in raid
- 17.01.2018U.S.-led meeting urges North Korea pressure despite North-South detente
- 17.01.2018Internal solution to Syria would be better: UN chief
- 17.01.2018US withholds $65M aid to Palestine: State Dept
- 17.01.2018Trump administration to appeal 'Dreamer' immigrant ruling
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 13.01.2018Reluctant Trump grants sanctions relief to Iran one last time
- 12.01.2018Trump uses vulgarity in describing Haiti, African nations
- 12.01.2018Zuckerberg announces new changes to Facebook
- 12.01.2018Trump says he has a "very good relationship" with Kim Jong Un
- 12.01.2018Key Fed official slams U.S. tax cuts for imperiling economy
- 12.01.2018US Treasury to impose new sanctions on Iran
- 11.01.2018Trump to attend Davos economic forum: White House
- 11.01.2018State Dep't: US to fight Iran's presence in Syria with aggressive sanctions
- 11.01.2018Trump says US could stay in Paris climate accord
- 11.01.2018Death toll rises to 17 in California mudslides
- 11.01.2018US: Pence to head delegation to South Korea Olympics
- 11.01.2018U.S. concerned by Iran crackdown, 'will not remain silent': White House
- 10.01.2018Trump says U.S. open to talks with North Korea: White House
- 10.01.2018Magnitude 7.6 earthquake strikes off Central America
- 10.01.2018Death toll reaches 13 killed in Southern California deluge - UPDATED - VİDEO - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Trump signals he could endorse immigration deal
- 10.01.2018Jeff Bezos is the richest person in the world
- 09.01.2018At least 5 dead as rain, mud roil California in US
- 18.07.2017Oil prices ease on signs of steady output from some producers
- 18.07.2017US to maintain dialogue with Israel on halting Iranian ambitions in Syria
- 18.07.2017US Navy tests laser weapons system in Persian Gulf
- 16.07.2017Turks in Germany mark anniversary of defeated coup
- 16.07.2017Cat killer jailed for 16 years in San Jose, California
- 15.07.2017Russian-American lobbyist attended Trump Jr. controversial meeting