US missile destroyer reportedly sailing toward Syria
The USS Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group along with seven other warships will depart from the U.S. for deployment to the Middle East and Europe, according to an official statement Tuesday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The aircraft carrier will be accompanied by the guided-missile cruiser USS Normandy and the guided-missile destroyers USS Arleigh Burke, USS Bulkeley, USS Forrest Sherman and USS Farragut.
The destroyers USS Jason Dunham and USS The Sullivans will join the strike group later, the navy statement said.
The navy also said the strike group, carrying 6,500 sailors and the Carrier Air Wing One, will cruise alongside the German frigate FGS Hessen during the first half of its deployment.
The mobilization of Harry S. Truman Carrier and other frigates came as President Donald Trump convened with his top military brass Monday night for a working dinner that focused on Washington's response to Bashar al-Assad's suspected chemical attack in which dozens of people were killed Saturday night outside of Damascus.
The U.S. navy said the departure of the strike group had been planned in advance.
The carrier group was sent to the Mediterranean Sea in 2016 to support the fight against Daesh during which it dropped more than 819 tons of bombs.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018US not seeking to reopen Iran nuclear deal, envoy says
- 26.04.2018U.S. probing Huawei for possible Iran sanctions violations
- 25.04.2018Senate confirms new director of National Security Agency
- 25.04.2018US urges all sides in Armenia to engage constructively on transition of power
- 25.04.2018Trump and France's Macron seek new measures on Iran as deadline looms
- 25.04.2018US: 2 officers, 1 civilian shot in Texas
- 25.04.2018Venezuelan refugees in Colombia exceed one million
- 24.04.2018US defense official comments on relations with Russia
- 24.04.2018Terrorism is likely motive behind Toronto van attack: U.S. source
- 24.04.2018Driver kills 10, injures 15 plowing van into Toronto sidewalk crowd
- 24.04.2018France's Macron visits Trump as Iran nuclear deal hangs in balance
- 24.04.2018At least nine dead in Nicaragua protests, U.S. curbs embassy services
- 24.04.2018U.S. allies press Trump to keep Iran nuclear deal alive
- 24.04.2018Mattis says he is optimistic North Korea talk will be 'fruitful'
- 22.04.2018One killed, six injured in overnight shooting in San Francisco
- 21.04.2018At least three dead, including police officer, in Nicaragua protests
- 21.04.2018Trump, France's Macron to discuss Iran nuclear deal next week
- 21.04.2018State Dept reveals content of US under secretary meeting with Russian ambassador
- 21.04.2018Russia calls for greater UN presence in Syria
- 20.04.2018US president slams cartel OPEC over high oil prices
- 20.04.2018Time reveals 100 Most Influential People for 2018
- 20.04.2018Man linked to 9/11 attacks on U.S. captured in Syria
- 20.04.2018No intent to change Syria's strategic balance: Pentagon
- 20.04.2018Trudeau says recognizes NAFTA timeline, will stick up for Canada
- 20.04.2018Russian diplomat calls on US to show readiness for constructive dialogue
- 20.04.2018US State Dept warns Turkey of possible sanctions over S-400 purchase
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal has no plans to visit Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh
- 19.04.2018Trump: US taking care of Cuba following election of new president
- 19.04.2018Trump: Battle between US forces, Russian nationals in Syria month ago 'sad'
- 19.04.2018Trump, Japan's Abe agree to intensify trade talks
- 18.04.2018Castro nears retirement as Cuban president; successor proposed
- 18.04.2018Pompeo visits North Korea, forms 'good relationship with Kim', says Trump
- 18.04.2018Mike Pompeo, CIA chief, met with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un
- 18.04.2018US, allies to be unable to dislodge Assad
- 18.04.2018Former First Lady Barbara Bush dies at the age of 92
- 17.04.2018Top NAFTA officials to meet in Washington Thursday
- 17.04.2018US-led coalition ready to share data with Russia on İSİL in Syria’s Abu Kamal
- 17.04.2018Syria says missiles fired at air base intercepted; Pentagon denies involvement
- 17.04.2018Trump administration delays new sanctions on Russia: official
- 17.04.2018U.S., Britain blame Russia for global cyber attack
- 11.04.2018U.S. lifts travel ban on Chad citizens: White House
- 11.04.2018Trump tells Russia to 'Get ready' for missiles coming at Syria
- 12.04.2018Syria repositions air assets as Trump hints at war
- 11.04.2018Facebook shares rise as U.S. senators question Zuckerberg
- 11.04.2018Russia vetoes U.S. bid to form new Syria chemical weapons inquiry
- 10.04.2018Facebook's Zuckerberg faces Senate hearing but little hope for action