US man arrested for mailing suspect letter to Trump Jr
A man from the state of Massachusetts was taken into custody Thursday in connection with a series of letters containing a mysterious white powder that were mailed to five high-profile individuals, including Donald Trump Jr, APA reports quoting Anadolu.
Daniel Frisiello, 24, was charged with five counts of false information and hoaxes, and five counts of mailing a threat.
The powder was found to be non-life threatening, prompting the hoaxes charges.
But Trump wife, Vanessa, was sent to the hospital as a precaution after she opened the letter Frisiello allegedly sent to their Manhattan apartment.
"This investigation by the Boston Joint Terrorism Task Force sends a strong message to those who seek to terrorize the public by sending powder letters through the mail. Whether real or a hoax, don’t do it," said FBI special agent in charge Harold H. Shaw.
Frisiello is expected to make his first court appearance at a federal court in Massachusetts on Thursday.
The letter received at Trump apartment contained a note that contained divisive language about the real estate heir.
"You are an awful, awful person, I am surprised that your father lets you speak on TV. You make the family idiot, Eric, look smart. This is the reason why people hate you, so you are getting what you deserve. So shut the [expletive] UP!" the letter read, according to the Justice Department.
The other four people who received letters include interim U.S. Attorney for the Central District of California Nicola T. Hanna, a Stanford University professor, a U.S. senator and a congressional candidate.
Letters containing mysterious white powder became a security fear for many Americans in 2001 when anthrax was sent to several news organizations and the offices of two senators, killing five victims and injuring nearly 20 others.
No one was convicted in those crimes.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018Operation desert storm memorial to be built in Washington, DC
- 23.06.2018Trump urges Republican lawmakers to drop immigration bill until election
- 22.06.2018Trump prolongs sanctions against North Korea for another year
- 22.06.2018Venezuela to back OPEC + decisions aimed at stabilization of oil price
- 22.06.2018Pentagon asked to house up to 20,000 migrant children
- 22.06.2018US House rejects conservative immigration bill
- 21.06.2018Trump signs order halting separation of families
- 20.06.2018House to vote on Thursday on immigration bills
- 20.06.2018US withdraws from UN Human Rights Council
- 19.06.2018US, Russian top diplomats discuss Syria over phone
- 19.06.2018Trump orders creation of US 'Space Force'
- 17.06.2018Argentina to replace energy and production ministers
- 16.06.2018At least 17 dead in Venezuelan nightclub after tear gas blast
- 16.06.2018Kushner, Haley hold talks with UN chief on humanitarian needs in Gaza
- 16.06.2018U.S. warns Americans of terrorism threat at World Cup in Russia
- 16.06.2018Trump supports Republican immigration bills in U.S. House: White House
- 16.06.2018U.S. judge sends ex-Trump campaign head Manafort to jail pre-trial
- 16.06.2018Trump sets tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods; Beijing strikes back
- 15.06.2018Trump tells G7 leaders that Crimea is Russian
- 15.06.2018Pompeo says North Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearisation
- 15.06.2018UN calls for vital port of Hudaydah to stay open
- 15.06.2018Nicaragua president's foes stage nationwide strike
- 15.06.2018DoD Chief Mattis Discusses With S Korean Counterpart Results of Singapore Summit
- 15.06.2018US forces conduct airstrike in Libya, manage to kill one terrorist
- 14.06.2018Facebook's chief of communications, policy to step down
- 14.06.2018Norwegian politicians nominate Donald Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- 14.06.2018UN votes to condemn Israel's 'excessive force' against Gaza Protests
- 14.06.2018Top White House officials planning to quit
- 14.06.2018Volcanic ash forces Guatemala airport to suspend operations
- 14.06.2018Trump says summit removed North Korean nuclear threat
- 14.06.2018Antarctic thaw quickens, trillions of tonnes of ice raise sea levels
- 13.06.2018Trump, Iran spar over oil prices ahead of OPEC meeting
- 13.06.2018Trump says no war games while North Korea negotiates in good faith
- 13.06.2018New US sanctions will have no effect - Russia’s Foreign Ministry
- 13.06.2018Kim Jong-un, Donald Trump accept each other's visit invitations
- 12.06.2018UN Sec Gen: implementing agreements by US, North Korean leaders requires patience
- 12.06.2018US must sustain maximum economic pressure on Pyongyang - House Speaker
- 12.06.2018Trump top economic adviser suffers heart attack moments before Trump-Kim Summit
- 12.06.2018US sanctions new Russian entities over cyberattacks
- 12.06.2018US extradites former Panamanian president
- 02.03.2018US National Security adviser allegedly planning to resign
- 02.03.2018FBI counterintel investigating Ivanka Trump business deal
- 02.03.2018Gunman kills two in domestic dispute in Michigan university dorm
- 02.03.2018Fed chief Powell says no evidence U.S. economy overheating
- 01.03.2018U.N. says Russia's eastern Ghouta aid plan not enough
- 01.03.2018US steel and aluminium imports face big tariffs, Trump says