US-led coalition using banned arms in Syria, Iraq: HRW
Human Rights Watch (HRW) on Wednesday accused a U.S.-led coalition tasked with fighting the Daesh terrorist group with using white phosphorus in populated areas of Syria and Iraq, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
“The use of artillery-delivered white phosphorus by the U.S.-led coalition… in Syria and Iraq raises serious questions about the protection of civilians,” the U.S.- based rights watchdog said in a Wednesday report.
“This multipurpose munition should never be used as an incendiary weapon to attack personnel or materiel in populated areas, even when delivered from the ground,” the report reads.
It goes on to assert that U.S. forces “are using white phosphorus in both Mosul in Iraq and in the ISIS [i.e., Daesh] stronghold of Raqqa in Syria”.
“No matter how white phosphorus is used, it poses a high risk of horrific and long-lasting harm in crowded cities like Raqqa and Mosul and any other areas with concentrations of civilians,” the report quotes Stephen Goose, director of HRW’s Arms Division, as saying.
Earlier this month, Iraqi security forces admitted to using white phosphorus to create a “smokescreen” to allow civilians to flee conflict zones.
Related news releases
- 16.08.2017Explosion occurs at plaza Venezuela metro station in Caracas
- 16.08.2017Trump: Both sides to blame in Charlottesville violence
- 16.08.2017Colombia’s FARC to become political party with new name, same acronym
- 16.08.2017U.S. confident of 'peaceable' Venezuelan solution
- 16.08.2017US senator McCain urges Trump to promote free trade as NAFTA talks begin
- 15.08.2017U.S. sanctions hit Russian hopes of a 'Trump bump' for investment
- 15.08.2017Oil prices steady after overnight tumble on dollar strength
- 15.08.2017Venezuela's Maduro seeks to capitalize on Trump's military threat
- 15.08.2017Pence says 'failed state' in Venezuela threatens United States
- 15.08.2017Trump condemns KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists
- 14.08.2017Trump returns to Washington with target on China
- 14.08.2017Mike Pence: Peaceful solution to Venezuela crisis is possible
- 13.08.20172 killed in helicopter crash in U.S. state of Virginia
- 13.08.2017Emergency declared in the US as clashes erupt at hate rally
- 12.08.2017At least 1 killed, over 30 injured in Charlottesville Far-Right violence
- 12.08.2017Magnitude 5.6 quake kills 1, hurts 2 in Peru
- 12.08.2017Venezuela defense chief calls Trump threat of intervention 'crazy'
- 12.08.2017Trump: North Korea will regret any acts against US
- 12.08.2017Trump: Military option possible in Venezuela
- 12.08.2017Trump will send envoys to Middle East to discuss peace: official
- 12.08.2017US not interested in talking about back channels with North Korea
- 11.08.2017US state secretary calls for delay of Kurd region poll
- 11.08.2017Trump tweets 'military solutions for North Korea are locked and loaded'
- 11.08.2017Trump thanks Putin for expelling U.S. diplomats, infuriating State Department
- 11.08.2017US could shut Russian consulate over diplomatic ouster
- 11.08.2017Venezuela's Maduro says ready for talks with Trump
- 11.08.2017Trump declares national emergency on opioid abuse
- 11.08.2017Trump escalates warning to North Korea
- 10.08.2017U.S. destroyer challenges China's claims in South China Sea
- 10.08.2017US strongly reacts to Putin's visit to Abkhazia
- 10.08.2017Guam governor says 'no panic' on US pacific island over North Korea's threat
- 10.08.2017Cuban diplomats expelled from US over mystery illness
- 10.08.2017Oil inches higher after data points to declining U.S. inventories
- 09.08.2017Pentagon chief issues stark warning to North Korea
- 09.08.2017US sanctions 22 Mexican individuals, 43 entities tied to drug gang
- 09.08.2017Trump boasts of U.S. nuclear power in warning to North Korea
- 09.08.2017Trump campaign turns over thousands of documents in Russia probe
- 09.08.2017US regulators to probe Qualcomm’s complaints of Apple
- 09.08.2017Venezuela using excessive force, arrests to crush protests: U.N.
- 08.08.2017Trump: North Korean threats 'will be met with fire & fury'
- 14.06.2017US congressman Steve Scalise in critical condition after shooting attack
- 15.06.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves Russia sanctions
- 15.06.2017UN slams civilian losses in US-led Raqqah airstrikes
- 14.06.2017At least two killed in San Francisco UPS facility shooting - UPDATED
- 14.06.2017US lawmakers file anti-Trump lawsuit for alleged abuse of constitution
- 14.06.2017Congressman shot at baseball field in US