US imposes sanctions on Venezuela: Senior gov't officials on the list
The move comes amid recent decision of EU envoys to expand embargo against the country, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
The US Treasury announced Thursday that it had sanctioned 10 Venezuelans, including a number of government officials, in the latest step by the Trump administration to pressure Caracas over what it sees as an erosion of democracy in the oil-rich country.
The individuals targeted under the new sanctions include Ministers Marquez Monsalve and Villegas Poljak, Second Vice President of the Constituent Assembly Hidrobo Amoroso and Ambassador to Italy Rodriguez Diaz. Electoral officials Quintero Cuevas, Oblitas Ruzza and Hernandez de Hernandez were also targeted by the sanctions, along with President of Venezuela's Transport Mission Osorio Zambrano, the Treasury Department said.
The latest sanctions against Venezuela were introduced by US President Donald Trump's executive order in August, aiming at putting financial pressure on the government led by Maduro.
Venezuela plunged into turbulence in March, when the Venezuelan Supreme Court decided to restrict the power of the legislature. The decision was reversed amid a backlash, but supporters of the Parliament, who strive for the dismissal of the court members, took to the streets, marking the start of deadly protests, which have so far claimed the lives of over 120 people.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Trump administration to target North Korea with new sanctions on Friday
- 23.02.2018IAEA reaffirms Iran’s compliance with JCPOA in its new report
- 23.02.2018SpaceX launches internet satellite prototypes
- 23.02.2018Man dies after throwing explosive device at US Embassy in Montenegro
- 23.02.2018Oil prices climb after unexpected drawdown in U.S. crude stocks
- 23.02.2018Russian diplomats tried to export 400 kg of cocaine from Argentina
- 22.02.2018Charity boss resigns from Unicef
- 22.02.2018US: Melania Trump’s parents become US residents
- 22.02.2018U.S. SEC updates guidance on cyber attack disclosure for companies
- 21.02.2018US: students rally in Florida to stop school shootings
- 21.02.2018U.S.-led air strike in Somalia kills three al Shabaab militants: statement
- 21.02.2018US pledges closer cooperation with Turkey
- 21.02.2018Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'
- 21.02.2018Trump phones Mexican president over copter crash
- 20.02.2018Pentagon prepares new ballistic missile defense review
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 16.02.2018John Kirby: "Tillerson breaks protocol by meeting Erdogan without translator"
- 16.02.2018Tillerson and Turkey's Erdogan had productive conversation: U.S. spokesman
- 16.02.2018US court says travel ban discriminates against Muslims
- 15.02.2018FBI was warned about Florida gunman
- 15.02.2018Avalanche kills three skiers in France
- 15.02.2018US and Russia dispute over Syria in UN Security Council
- 15.02.2018Any U.S. talks with North Korea would press denuclearization demand: Pence
- 15.02.2018Tillerson wants more cooperation with Turkey on Syria
- 15.02.2018Ex-student kills 17 in shooting spree at Florida high school- UPDATED
- 14.02.2018New US sanctions against Russia to come in near future - US Treasury Secretary
- 14.02.2018Shooting outside NSA campus leaves at least three injured
- 14.02.2018Tillerson stresses need to discuss issue of co-op to reduce threats against Turkey
- 14.02.2018Washington Has No Problem With Turkey's Plan to Rename US Embassy Street
- 14.02.2018State Department: US Ready to Hold Talks With North Korea
- 14.02.2018Several People Injured in Utah Shooting
- 10.11.2017State Dept. denies report top envoys being depleted
- 10.11.2017Turkish premier urges US to extradite FETO leader
- 10.11.2017Colombia 'committed' to deal with FARC
- 09.11.2017Turkish premier, US vice president meet at White House
- 09.11.2017US lawmakers renew gun control bid after Texas shooting
- 09.11.2017U.N. warns if no Yemen aid access, world will see largest famine in decades