US imposes sanctions on Venezuela: Senior gov't officials on the list
The move comes amid recent decision of EU envoys to expand embargo against the country, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
The US Treasury announced Thursday that it had sanctioned 10 Venezuelans, including a number of government officials, in the latest step by the Trump administration to pressure Caracas over what it sees as an erosion of democracy in the oil-rich country.
The individuals targeted under the new sanctions include Ministers Marquez Monsalve and Villegas Poljak, Second Vice President of the Constituent Assembly Hidrobo Amoroso and Ambassador to Italy Rodriguez Diaz. Electoral officials Quintero Cuevas, Oblitas Ruzza and Hernandez de Hernandez were also targeted by the sanctions, along with President of Venezuela's Transport Mission Osorio Zambrano, the Treasury Department said.
The latest sanctions against Venezuela were introduced by US President Donald Trump's executive order in August, aiming at putting financial pressure on the government led by Maduro.
Venezuela plunged into turbulence in March, when the Venezuelan Supreme Court decided to restrict the power of the legislature. The decision was reversed amid a backlash, but supporters of the Parliament, who strive for the dismissal of the court members, took to the streets, marking the start of deadly protests, which have so far claimed the lives of over 120 people.
Related news releases
- 25.11.2017U.S. crude tops two-year high as Keystone outage hits supply
- 24.11.2017Argentine gov’t may dismiss navy head for missing sub
- 23.11.2017UN says ongoing Daesh threat needs to be annihilated
- 23.11.2017Anomalous methane-rich comet 45p could be key to understanding origins of life
- 23.11.2017Trump to meet congressional leaders next week on legislative issues -White House
- 23.11.2017Ex-Olympics doctor faces 25 to 40 years in prison
- 23.11.2017U.S. welcomes Hariri's return to Lebanon: State Department official
- 23.11.2017U.S. crude pares gains, but lingers near 2-year high
- 23.11.2017U.S. calls Myanmar moves against Rohingya 'ethnic cleansing'
- 22.11.2017Attorney general says bodyguard accidentally kills Mexican Televisa exec
- 22.11.2017US calls Turkish gov’t accusations of plot in Zarrab case ‘ridiculous’
- 22.11.2017US sanctions Chinese, North Korean entities
- 22.11.2017Colombia protests Venezuelan military crossing border
- 21.11.2017UK welcomes Mugabe's resignation
- 21.11.2017Trump and Putin spoke by phone
- 21.11.2017US, Afghan forces launch anti-poppy operation
- 21.11.2017Missing Argentine submarine had reported electrical malfunction
- 20.11.2017US re-designates N Korea state sponsor of terrorism
- 19.11.2017Trump calls 'crooked' Hillary Clinton 'worst and biggest loser of all time'
- 18.11.20179 injured in large fire atop 6-story apartment building in New York
- 18.11.2017Argentine submarine goes missing for two days, major search op underway
- 18.11.2017Canada, Mexico try more flexibility as key NAFTA round opens
- 17.11.2017US official: If Turkey buys Russian systems, they can’t plug into NATO tech
- 17.11.2017Turkish businessman Reza Zarrab escapes knife attack in U.S. prison
- 17.11.2017Canadian senator dies on parliamentary trip in Colombia
- 17.11.2017South Dakota Keystone pipeline shut down after oil spill
- 17.11.2017UN Security Council rejects Russian draft on Syria chemical probe
- 17.11.2017The impeachment of President Donald Trump has officially begun
- 17.11.2017Fed's Williams calls for global rethink of monetary policy
- 17.11.2017US House passes tax reform bill, sends measure to Senate
- 16.11.2017Trump urges U.N. council to renew Syria chemical arms inquiry
- 16.11.2017More worries in Congress over cuts at U.S. State Department
- 16.11.2017US Democrats enter new articles to impeach Trump
- 15.11.2017Planned talks between Venezuelan opposition, government will not take place
- 15.11.2017U.S. security officials arrive in Israel to discuss Syria agreement
- 15.11.2017US FDA approves first 'digital pill'
- 15.11.2017Death toll as a result of a gunman in California fired at school reached - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017De Mistura: Putin, Trump create qualitatively new situation in Syrian settlement
- 14.11.2017At least 3 dead in California school shooting, shooter killed by police
- 14.11.2017Trump vows free and open Indo-Pacific region
- 10.11.2017State Dept. denies report top envoys being depleted
- 10.11.2017Turkish premier urges US to extradite FETO leader
- 10.11.2017Colombia 'committed' to deal with FARC
- 09.11.2017Turkish premier, US vice president meet at White House
- 09.11.2017US lawmakers renew gun control bid after Texas shooting
- 09.11.2017U.N. warns if no Yemen aid access, world will see largest famine in decades