US: Harvey, Irma estimated to cost $290 billion
The damage from Irma is estimated to be around $100 billion -- 0.5 percent of U.S. GDP of $19 trillion.
Harvey is expected to cost $190 billion, or 1 percent of GDP, according to AccuWeather.
"Together ... these two disasters amount to 1.5 of a percentage point of the GDP, which will about equal and therefore counter the natural growth of the economy for the period of mid-August through the end of the fourth quarter," Dr. Joel N. Myers, AccuWeather’s founder and chief said in a statement.
Myers said economic costs include business disruptions, damage to personal property and a rise in gasoline and heating oil prices.
He added that the hurricanes in Texas and Florida would increase unemployment in regions that are negatively impacted.
Due to Harvey and Irma, global investment banking firm Goldman Sachs on Saturday lowered its third quarter growth forecast of the U.S. economy to 2 percent from 2.8 percent.
"We expect a meaningful drag on key growth indicators over the next two months, including a temporary drag on September payrolls growth of 20,000 -- or as much as 100,000 -- if severe storm effects persist into next week," it said in a statement.
Goldman believes, however, a rebound in growth is possible because economic activity usually increases after natural disasters.
"We expect this weakness to reverse over the subsequent three quarters, more than recouping the lost output," it said, and increased the U.S. economy's growth forecast for the fourth quarter by 0.4 percentage points to 2.7 percent.
Related news releases
- 21.09.2017Trump to make 'important sanctions-related announcement' about North Korea, says White House
- 21.09.2017Erdogan, Trump to meet in NYC on Thursday
- 21.09.2017Mexico rescuers work into night to save trapped girl as quake toll tops 230
- 21.09.2017Palestinian Abbas says Middle East peace closer with Trump engaged
- 21.09.2017Hurricane Maria brings destruction, heavy floods to Puerto Rico
- 21.09.2017US: 1 shot at Illinois high school
- 20.09.2017Afghan president says Trump war plan has better chance than Obama's
- 20.09.2017Oil up 2 percent despite U.S. crude build
- 20.09.2017Death toll from Mexico earthquake hits 226- UPDATED-2
- 20.09.2017Russia calls on US to engage in dialogue with North Korea — Lavrov
- 20.09.2017Lavrov, Abbas discuss efforts to restore Palestinian unity
- 19.09.2017Mexico city International airport suspends operations after strong earthquake
- 19.09.20177.1 magnitude earthquake hits Mexico city
- 19.09.2017Trump says if threatened, U.S. will 'totally destroy' North Korea
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of General Debate of 72nd Session of UN General Assembly in New York
- 19.09.2017Hurricane Maria betters Dominica, heads to Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017Trump calls out ‘radical Islamic terrorism’ by name at UN
- 19.09.2017US to pay 'high cost' if it leaves Iran deal: Rouhani
- 19.09.2017Powerful Hurricane Maria targets Caribbean, Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves defense spending bill
- 19.09.2017Xi and Trump discuss sanctions pressure on North Korea: White House
- 18.09.2017France defends Iran nuclear deal, Trump to decide soon
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Political Declaration for UN Reform High Level Event in New York
- 18.09.2017128 Nations Sign US Declaration on Reform of United Nations
- 18.09.2017UN stunted by 'bureaucracy and mismanagement': Trump
- 17.09.2017US denies U-turn on climate deal
- 17.09.2017UN Security Council to hold ministerial meeting on non-proliferation next week
- 17.09.2017Jets strike U.S.-backed forces in eastern Syria
- 17.09.2017St Louis police killing: 30 arrests after acquittal protests
- 16.09.2017Venezuela's Maduro upbeat on talks, opposition fear 'show'
- 16.09.2017Police arrest man at Dover port, search house in London bomb manhunt
- 16.09.2017US Hurricanes Expose Vulnerabilities of Bank Infrastructure
- 16.09.2017World’s oldest person dies
- 16.09.2017UN Security Council condemns DPRK over missile launch, stresses political solution
- 16.09.2017State Department describes plans for cuts, offers few specifics: sources
- 16.09.2017North Korea's nuke program won't end until 'equilibrium of real force' achieved
- 16.09.2017NASA ends Cassini’s mission orbiting Saturn
- 16.09.2017After new missile test, U.S. says North Korea threatens whole world
- 16.09.2017Brazil president faces racketeering, obstruction of justice charges
- 15.09.2017Trump signs resolution condemning white supremacists
- 12.09.2017U.N. Security Council to vote on weakened North Korea sanctions bid - UPDATED
- 12.09.2017US investigating Russia's state-run news agency
- 12.09.2017North Korea sanctions 'nothing compared to what will have to happen': Trump
- 12.09.2017US top court temporarily upholds Trump's refugee ban
- 11.09.2017Death toll at 96 in Mexico quake
- 11.09.2017Eight dead after shooting in Texas