US: Fed Vice President Fischer resigns
U.S. Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Stanley Fischer on Wednesday announced his intention to resign months before his term was due to expire, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Fischer’s resignation from the Federal Reserve Board will be effective on or around October 13, according to a statement from the Fed.
In a letter to President Donald Trump, Fischer said he was leaving for personal reasons and pointed to the accomplishments during his tenure.
“It has been a great privilege to serve on the Federal Reserve Board...During my time on the Board, the economy has continued to strengthen...We have built upon earlier steps to make the financial system stronger and more resilient," he said.
Former President Barack Obama nominated Fischer as vice chair of the Federal Reserve System, the U.S. central bank, in January 2014.
On May 21, 2014, the U.S. confirmed Fischer's appointment to the Federal Reserve Board of Governors.
In a separate vote on June 12, he was confirmed as the vice chair. Fischer succeeded Janet Yellen as vice chair after she became chair of the Federal Reserve earlier in 2014.
Fischer's term as vice chairman was set to expire on June 12 next year, while he was scheduled to be a member of the Board until Jan. 31, 2020.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018US: Melania Trump’s parents become US residents
- 22.02.2018U.S. SEC updates guidance on cyber attack disclosure for companies
- 21.02.2018US: students rally in Florida to stop school shootings
- 21.02.2018U.S.-led air strike in Somalia kills three al Shabaab militants: statement
- 21.02.2018US pledges closer cooperation with Turkey
- 21.02.2018Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'
- 21.02.2018Trump phones Mexican president over copter crash
- 20.02.2018Pentagon prepares new ballistic missile defense review
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 16.02.2018John Kirby: "Tillerson breaks protocol by meeting Erdogan without translator"
- 16.02.2018Tillerson and Turkey's Erdogan had productive conversation: U.S. spokesman
- 16.02.2018US court says travel ban discriminates against Muslims
- 15.02.2018FBI was warned about Florida gunman
- 15.02.2018Avalanche kills three skiers in France
- 15.02.2018US and Russia dispute over Syria in UN Security Council
- 15.02.2018Any U.S. talks with North Korea would press denuclearization demand: Pence
- 15.02.2018Tillerson wants more cooperation with Turkey on Syria
- 15.02.2018Ex-student kills 17 in shooting spree at Florida high school- UPDATED
- 14.02.2018New US sanctions against Russia to come in near future - US Treasury Secretary
- 14.02.2018Shooting outside NSA campus leaves at least three injured
- 14.02.2018Tillerson stresses need to discuss issue of co-op to reduce threats against Turkey
- 14.02.2018Washington Has No Problem With Turkey's Plan to Rename US Embassy Street
- 14.02.2018State Department: US Ready to Hold Talks With North Korea
- 14.02.2018Several People Injured in Utah Shooting
- 13.02.2018Tillerson: "Turkey's operation in Afrin negatively affected the fight against ISIL"
- 13.02.2018Tillerson visits Egypt's Sisi at start of Mideast tour
- 13.02.2018Trump daughter-in-law hospitalized over suspect letter
- 13.02.2018White House dismisses idea of U.S.-Israel discussing settlement annexation
- 11.02.2018Canadian PM motorcade crashes, police officer and two others injured
- 11.02.2018Ohio police officers were killed while protecting others, chief says
- 10.02.2018FARC suspends political campaigning in Colombia
- 06.09.2017Military option for North Korea not first choice: Trump
- 07.09.2017Hurricane Irma lashes Caribbean, Florida braces for hit
- 07.09.2017U.S. asks U.N. to impose oil embargo on North Korea, cut textile exports
- 06.09.2017Venezuelan president meets with U.S. oil company over economic sanctions
- 06.09.2017UN secretary-general urged Myanmar to give Rohingya people legal status
- 06.09.2017Washington confident in legality of closing Russiand diplomatic properties