US: Fed Vice President Fischer resigns
U.S. Federal Reserve Vice Chairman Stanley Fischer on Wednesday announced his intention to resign months before his term was due to expire, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Fischer’s resignation from the Federal Reserve Board will be effective on or around October 13, according to a statement from the Fed.
In a letter to President Donald Trump, Fischer said he was leaving for personal reasons and pointed to the accomplishments during his tenure.
“It has been a great privilege to serve on the Federal Reserve Board...During my time on the Board, the economy has continued to strengthen...We have built upon earlier steps to make the financial system stronger and more resilient," he said.
Former President Barack Obama nominated Fischer as vice chair of the Federal Reserve System, the U.S. central bank, in January 2014.
On May 21, 2014, the U.S. confirmed Fischer's appointment to the Federal Reserve Board of Governors.
In a separate vote on June 12, he was confirmed as the vice chair. Fischer succeeded Janet Yellen as vice chair after she became chair of the Federal Reserve earlier in 2014.
Fischer's term as vice chairman was set to expire on June 12 next year, while he was scheduled to be a member of the Board until Jan. 31, 2020.
Related news releases
- 21.09.2017Trump to make 'important sanctions-related announcement' about North Korea, says White House
- 21.09.2017Erdogan, Trump to meet in NYC on Thursday
- 21.09.2017Mexico rescuers work into night to save trapped girl as quake toll tops 230
- 21.09.2017Palestinian Abbas says Middle East peace closer with Trump engaged
- 21.09.2017Hurricane Maria brings destruction, heavy floods to Puerto Rico
- 21.09.2017US: 1 shot at Illinois high school
- 20.09.2017Afghan president says Trump war plan has better chance than Obama's
- 20.09.2017Oil up 2 percent despite U.S. crude build
- 20.09.2017Death toll from Mexico earthquake hits 226- UPDATED-2
- 20.09.2017Russia calls on US to engage in dialogue with North Korea — Lavrov
- 20.09.2017Lavrov, Abbas discuss efforts to restore Palestinian unity
- 19.09.2017Mexico city International airport suspends operations after strong earthquake
- 19.09.20177.1 magnitude earthquake hits Mexico city
- 19.09.2017Trump says if threatened, U.S. will 'totally destroy' North Korea
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of General Debate of 72nd Session of UN General Assembly in New York
- 19.09.2017Hurricane Maria betters Dominica, heads to Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017Trump calls out ‘radical Islamic terrorism’ by name at UN
- 19.09.2017US to pay 'high cost' if it leaves Iran deal: Rouhani
- 19.09.2017Powerful Hurricane Maria targets Caribbean, Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves defense spending bill
- 19.09.2017Xi and Trump discuss sanctions pressure on North Korea: White House
- 18.09.2017France defends Iran nuclear deal, Trump to decide soon
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Political Declaration for UN Reform High Level Event in New York
- 18.09.2017128 Nations Sign US Declaration on Reform of United Nations
- 18.09.2017UN stunted by 'bureaucracy and mismanagement': Trump
- 17.09.2017US denies U-turn on climate deal
- 17.09.2017UN Security Council to hold ministerial meeting on non-proliferation next week
- 17.09.2017Jets strike U.S.-backed forces in eastern Syria
- 17.09.2017St Louis police killing: 30 arrests after acquittal protests
- 16.09.2017Venezuela's Maduro upbeat on talks, opposition fear 'show'
- 16.09.2017Police arrest man at Dover port, search house in London bomb manhunt
- 16.09.2017US Hurricanes Expose Vulnerabilities of Bank Infrastructure
- 16.09.2017World’s oldest person dies
- 16.09.2017UN Security Council condemns DPRK over missile launch, stresses political solution
- 16.09.2017State Department describes plans for cuts, offers few specifics: sources
- 16.09.2017North Korea's nuke program won't end until 'equilibrium of real force' achieved
- 16.09.2017NASA ends Cassini’s mission orbiting Saturn
- 16.09.2017After new missile test, U.S. says North Korea threatens whole world
- 16.09.2017Brazil president faces racketeering, obstruction of justice charges
- 15.09.2017Trump signs resolution condemning white supremacists
- 06.09.2017Military option for North Korea not first choice: Trump
- 07.09.2017Hurricane Irma lashes Caribbean, Florida braces for hit
- 07.09.2017U.S. asks U.N. to impose oil embargo on North Korea, cut textile exports
- 06.09.2017Venezuelan president meets with U.S. oil company over economic sanctions
- 06.09.2017UN secretary-general urged Myanmar to give Rohingya people legal status
- 06.09.2017Washington confident in legality of closing Russiand diplomatic properties