US cuts diplomatic staff in Cuba, warns against travel
The U.S. on Friday made dramatic cuts to its diplomatic presence in Cuba and warned Americans to avoid travelling there after a series of mysterious "attacks" affected its diplomats, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The recently re-opened U.S. embassy in Cuba will have its staffing reduced to emergency personnel only, and visa operations have been suspended indefinitely as a result of the action.
"The decision to reduce our diplomatic presence in Havana was made to ensure the safety of our personnel," Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said in a statement.
"We maintain diplomatic relations with Cuba, and our work in Cuba continues to be guided by the national security and foreign policy interests of the United States."
Twenty-one U.S. diplomats have suffered various physical ailments following what U.S. officials now describe as attacks, acknowledging the nature remains unknown as well as the perpetrators.
U.S. officials had previously refrained from calling them "attacks", instead using the vague language of "incidents".
Those who have been afflicted have suffered a range of symptoms including hearing loss, ear problems, dizziness, headache, cognitive issues and fatigue.
Havana has pledged to continue investigating and the U.S. will assist in the effort, Tillerson said.
The U.S. has not ruled out a third party could be behind the attacks, according to U.S. officials who briefed reporters on condition of anonymity.
Commenting on the matter Trump said "some very bad things happened in Cuba.
"They did some bad things in Cuba," he said, without naming the alleged culprit.
Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez was in Washington on Tuesday to discuss the case with Tillerson, warning the U.S. to avoid hasty action as tensions soar.
Between five and 10 Canadian diplomats and their families suffered sonic attacks similar to the Americans.
Unlike the Americans, all the affected Canadians recovered, although some required hospital treatment.
At first it was thought the Canadians were accidently affected, with the Americans the prime target. But as the numbers grew, officials said they felt whoever is behind the attacks deliberately targeted Canadians as well.
However, Global Affairs Canada, the department in the Canadian government that manages Canada's diplomatic and consular relations, said there are no plans at this time to remove Canadian diplomatic staff or their families, Canadian media reported.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018Operation desert storm memorial to be built in Washington, DC
- 23.06.2018Trump urges Republican lawmakers to drop immigration bill until election
- 22.06.2018Trump prolongs sanctions against North Korea for another year
- 22.06.2018Venezuela to back OPEC + decisions aimed at stabilization of oil price
- 22.06.2018Pentagon asked to house up to 20,000 migrant children
- 22.06.2018US House rejects conservative immigration bill
- 21.06.2018Trump signs order halting separation of families
- 20.06.2018House to vote on Thursday on immigration bills
- 20.06.2018US withdraws from UN Human Rights Council
- 19.06.2018US, Russian top diplomats discuss Syria over phone
- 19.06.2018Trump orders creation of US 'Space Force'
- 17.06.2018Argentina to replace energy and production ministers
- 16.06.2018At least 17 dead in Venezuelan nightclub after tear gas blast
- 16.06.2018Kushner, Haley hold talks with UN chief on humanitarian needs in Gaza
- 16.06.2018U.S. warns Americans of terrorism threat at World Cup in Russia
- 16.06.2018Trump supports Republican immigration bills in U.S. House: White House
- 16.06.2018U.S. judge sends ex-Trump campaign head Manafort to jail pre-trial
- 16.06.2018Trump sets tariffs on $50 billion in Chinese goods; Beijing strikes back
- 15.06.2018Trump tells G7 leaders that Crimea is Russian
- 15.06.2018Pompeo says North Korea sanctions to remain until complete denuclearisation
- 15.06.2018UN calls for vital port of Hudaydah to stay open
- 15.06.2018Nicaragua president's foes stage nationwide strike
- 15.06.2018DoD Chief Mattis Discusses With S Korean Counterpart Results of Singapore Summit
- 15.06.2018US forces conduct airstrike in Libya, manage to kill one terrorist
- 14.06.2018Facebook's chief of communications, policy to step down
- 14.06.2018Norwegian politicians nominate Donald Trump for Nobel Peace Prize
- 14.06.2018UN votes to condemn Israel's 'excessive force' against Gaza Protests
- 14.06.2018Top White House officials planning to quit
- 14.06.2018Volcanic ash forces Guatemala airport to suspend operations
- 14.06.2018Trump says summit removed North Korean nuclear threat
- 14.06.2018Antarctic thaw quickens, trillions of tonnes of ice raise sea levels
- 13.06.2018Trump, Iran spar over oil prices ahead of OPEC meeting
- 13.06.2018Trump says no war games while North Korea negotiates in good faith
- 13.06.2018New US sanctions will have no effect - Russia’s Foreign Ministry
- 13.06.2018Kim Jong-un, Donald Trump accept each other's visit invitations
- 12.06.2018UN Sec Gen: implementing agreements by US, North Korean leaders requires patience
- 12.06.2018US must sustain maximum economic pressure on Pyongyang - House Speaker
- 12.06.2018Trump top economic adviser suffers heart attack moments before Trump-Kim Summit
- 12.06.2018US sanctions new Russian entities over cyberattacks
- 12.06.2018US extradites former Panamanian president
- 30.09.2017Under pressure from Trump, Tom Price resigns as health secretary over private plane uproar
- 30.09.2017US does not recognize KRG's independence poll
- 30.09.2017Trump lashes out at San Juan mayor over Maria response
- 29.09.2017US Senate approves Jon Huntsman as ambassador to Russia
- 29.09.2017Myanmar violence looks like ethnic cleansing: US
- 28.09.2017US to send more nuke-capable submarines, bombers to Korean peninsula