US brigade combat team test new shadow drones in Germany
A platoon from the 3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division stationed in Germany conducted the first flights of its RQ-7B Shadow Unmanned Aerial System (UAS) since arriving in Europe in January, the US Army announced in a statement, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
“Our purpose out here is to support the brigade’s reconnaissance, surveillance and target acquisition objectives,” Unmanned Ariel System platoon leader, 1st Lt. Andrew Rotolo explained on Thursday. “This [RQ-7B Shadow UAS] will ultimately enhance our use as a combat multiplier and our effectiveness as a brigade-level asset, especially during multinational events.”
The UAS Platoon, as it is called, are training for upcoming Atlantic Resolve multinational exercises Combined Resolve VIII, Saber Guardian 17, and Combined Resolve IX, the statement noted.
The UAS Platoon is expected to joint an armor regiment, the statement added. The Shadow UAS will provide spotting for live-fire artillery exercises.
In April, most of the units of the 3rd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, will gather in Germany to prepare for the Combined Resolve VIII exercise with other NATO forces.
Since 2014, UAS Platoons have operated in Army aviation combat units as part of manned-unmanned Teams with the Apache helicopter.
The RQ-7B Shadow has a wingspan of 20 feet and can loiter for nine hours from take-off to landing.
Related news releases
- 29.04.2017Tillerson eyes cutting 2,300 jobs at State Department
- 29.04.2017Brazil protesters, police clash in first general strike in decades
- 29.04.2017Trump signs order to expand offshore oil, gas drilling
- 28.04.2017US allows transactions with Belarusian companies blocked by 2006 order
- 28.04.2017U.S. says time to act on North Korea, China says not up to Beijing alone
- 28.04.2017US suspects Daesh emir killed in Afghanistan raid that targeted terrorist HQ
- 28.04.2017Tillerson: North Korea may inflict strike on US
- 28.04.2017Rex Tillerson: "US doesn't seek regime change in North Korea"
- 28.04.2017Trump warns ‘major conflict with North Korea’ may be on horizon
- 27.04.2017EU parliament adopts resolution decrying crackdown on protesters in Venezuela
- 27.04.2017Trump says U.S. will renegotiate trade pact with Canada, Mexico
- 27.04.2017NATO chief meets with EU defense ministers on security talks
- 27.04.2017US Sea Hawk helicopter crashes into Pacific Ocean off Guam coast
- 27.04.2017Venezuela death toll hits 29, protesters battle security forces
- 27.04.2017Trump grants Pentagon chief power to decide troop limits in anti-Daesh fight
- 27.04.2017Trump agrees to keep US in NAFTA
- 27.04.2017U.S., European military chiefs call for better data-sharing against terrorism
- 27.04.2017Commander says U.S. may need stronger defense against North Korea missiles
- 26.04.2017Silence of the Lambs director Jonathan Demme dies at 73
- 26.04.2017Pentagon orders 140,000 aircraft cargo nets for United Arab Emirates
- 26.04.2017Pilot killed in small plane crash in U.S state of Texas
- 26.04.2017Several states on alert after dangerous nuclear material stolen in Mexico
- 25.04.2017U.S. Senate panel approves Trump's USTR nominee
- 25.04.2017Death toll in Venezuela's unrest rises to 26
- 25.04.2017Antarctic ice melting much faster than previously believed
- 25.04.2017Venezuela death toll rises as unrest enters fourth week
- 25.04.2017Chile rocked by 6.9-magnitude quake
- 25.04.2017Poll: Trump approval rating stands at 51 percent, despite surveys to contrary
- 25.04.2017Trump administration calls on North Korea to free jailed US citizen
- 25.04.2017Tillerson, UN to discuss possible new sanctions against N Korea - State Dept.
- 24.04.2017White House explains goal of new us 'largest ever' sanctions against Syria
- 24.04.2017Trump not labeled 1915 events 'genocide'
- 23.04.2017Mexican police shoot dead two drug cartel leaders
- 23.04.2017At Least 1 Killed, 2 Injured in San Jose Shooting
- 23.04.2017Acting head of prison in Guatemala shot dead
- 23.04.2017Mexico kills Gulf cartel boss in Reynosa shootout
- 23.04.2017Powerful floods in Ecuador kill dozens of people
- 22.04.2017Venezuelan opposition begins rally in country's capital
- 22.04.2017Trump certain china to help deal with North Korean threat
- 22.04.2017Pence says United States will honor refugee deal with Australia
- 10.03.2017US to host anti-İS coalition summit
- 11.03.2017Thousands rally against Dakota pipeline in US capital
- 11.03.2017US Congressman made statement on Khojaly genocide
- 10.03.2017Senate committee approves Trump intelligence nominee Coats
- 09.03.2017WikiLeaks will share CIA hacking tools with tech companies: Assange
- 08.03.2017UN Security Council condemns North Korea launches