US begins drone deployment to South Korea
The U.S. military announced Monday it has started the process to deploy an offensive-capable drone to its air base on the west coast of South Korea, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
U.S. Forces Korea said in a statement it will deploy a company of Gray Eagle drones to Kunsan Air Base, which is already home to the Air Force's 8th Fighter Wing.
"The stationing of this company, which will be assigned to the 2nd Combat Aviation Brigade of the 2nd Infantry Division, directly supports the U.S. Army’s strategic plan to add one Gray Eagle company to each division in the Army," the command said.
"The UAS adds significant intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capability to U.S. Forces Korea and our ROK partners," it added, referring to an unmanned aerial system.
Cmdr. Gary Ross told Anadolu Agency the Gray Eagle drone will be deployed early next year along with a supporting team to operate the vehicle.
The Gray Eagle system can stay airborne for up to 24 hours and is capable of carrying up to four Hellfire missiles, according to the Army.
The announcement comes amidst heightened tension on the peninsula.
The U.S. last week sent the initial components of a controversial missile defense system to South Korea, angering China in the process.
China’s Foreign Ministry repeated its threat to take necessary steps in response to the move, having reportedly already ordered travel agencies to stop selling packages to South Korea this month among a series of unofficial economic sanctions.
With nearly 30,000 American troops based in the South, THAAD is not the first deployment of U.S. hardware to the peninsula, but Beijing is concerned about the system’s potential spying capability.
Seoul and Washington maintain the battery is aimed at countering North Korea, as the reclusive state continues to develop nuclear weapons -- including with a quadruple ballistic missile test Monday that resulted in the missiles landing in the Sea of Japan.
In addition to China’s disapproval, South Korea’s main opposition Democratic Party denounced the deployment as rushed and unilateral.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018Trump denies U.S. embassy to be moved to Jerusalem within a year
- 18.01.2018Trump accuses Russia of helping North Korea evade sanctions; says U.S. needs more missile defense
- 18.01.2018At least 5 dead as winter storm wracks southern US
- 18.01.2018US will consider Turkey’s concerns about PKK: Tillerson
- 18.01.2018U.S. signals open-ended presence in Syria
- 17.01.2018Venezuela helicopter pilot Oscar Pérez killed in raid
- 17.01.2018U.S.-led meeting urges North Korea pressure despite North-South detente
- 17.01.2018Internal solution to Syria would be better: UN chief
- 17.01.2018US withholds $65M aid to Palestine: State Dept
- 17.01.2018Trump administration to appeal 'Dreamer' immigrant ruling
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 13.01.2018Reluctant Trump grants sanctions relief to Iran one last time
- 12.01.2018Trump uses vulgarity in describing Haiti, African nations
- 12.01.2018Zuckerberg announces new changes to Facebook
- 12.01.2018Trump says he has a "very good relationship" with Kim Jong Un
- 12.01.2018Key Fed official slams U.S. tax cuts for imperiling economy
- 12.01.2018US Treasury to impose new sanctions on Iran
- 11.01.2018Trump to attend Davos economic forum: White House
- 11.01.2018State Dep't: US to fight Iran's presence in Syria with aggressive sanctions
- 11.01.2018Trump says US could stay in Paris climate accord
- 11.01.2018Death toll rises to 17 in California mudslides
- 11.01.2018US: Pence to head delegation to South Korea Olympics
- 11.01.2018U.S. concerned by Iran crackdown, 'will not remain silent': White House
- 10.01.2018Trump says U.S. open to talks with North Korea: White House
- 10.01.2018Magnitude 7.6 earthquake strikes off Central America
- 10.01.2018Death toll reaches 13 killed in Southern California deluge - UPDATED - VİDEO - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Trump signals he could endorse immigration deal
- 10.01.2018Jeff Bezos is the richest person in the world
- 09.01.2018At least 5 dead as rain, mud roil California in US
- 15.03.2017Snowstorm weakens after leaving at least 7 dead
- 15.03.2017UN has 'no intention' to arbitrate in Cyprus talks
- 15.03.2017US Senate confirms ex-senator Dan Coats as Director of National Intelligence
- 12.03.2017High profile US prosecutor Bharara fired
- 11.03.2017Death toll in Guatemala's youth shelter fire rises to 38
- 11.03.2017'White House intruder' arrested on grounds while Trump at residence - UPDATED