US begins drone deployment to South Korea
The U.S. military announced Monday it has started the process to deploy an offensive-capable drone to its air base on the west coast of South Korea, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
U.S. Forces Korea said in a statement it will deploy a company of Gray Eagle drones to Kunsan Air Base, which is already home to the Air Force's 8th Fighter Wing.
"The stationing of this company, which will be assigned to the 2nd Combat Aviation Brigade of the 2nd Infantry Division, directly supports the U.S. Army’s strategic plan to add one Gray Eagle company to each division in the Army," the command said.
"The UAS adds significant intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance capability to U.S. Forces Korea and our ROK partners," it added, referring to an unmanned aerial system.
Cmdr. Gary Ross told Anadolu Agency the Gray Eagle drone will be deployed early next year along with a supporting team to operate the vehicle.
The Gray Eagle system can stay airborne for up to 24 hours and is capable of carrying up to four Hellfire missiles, according to the Army.
The announcement comes amidst heightened tension on the peninsula.
The U.S. last week sent the initial components of a controversial missile defense system to South Korea, angering China in the process.
China’s Foreign Ministry repeated its threat to take necessary steps in response to the move, having reportedly already ordered travel agencies to stop selling packages to South Korea this month among a series of unofficial economic sanctions.
With nearly 30,000 American troops based in the South, THAAD is not the first deployment of U.S. hardware to the peninsula, but Beijing is concerned about the system’s potential spying capability.
Seoul and Washington maintain the battery is aimed at countering North Korea, as the reclusive state continues to develop nuclear weapons -- including with a quadruple ballistic missile test Monday that resulted in the missiles landing in the Sea of Japan.
In addition to China’s disapproval, South Korea’s main opposition Democratic Party denounced the deployment as rushed and unilateral.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2017Pentagon orders 140,000 aircraft cargo nets for United Arab Emirates
- 26.04.2017Pilot killed in small plane crash in U.S state of Texas
- 26.04.2017Several states on alert after dangerous nuclear material stolen in Mexico
- 25.04.2017U.S. Senate panel approves Trump's USTR nominee
- 25.04.2017Death toll in Venezuela's unrest rises to 26
- 25.04.2017Antarctic ice melting much faster than previously believed
- 25.04.2017Venezuela death toll rises as unrest enters fourth week
- 25.04.2017Chile rocked by 6.9-magnitude quake
- 25.04.2017Poll: Trump approval rating stands at 51 percent, despite surveys to contrary
- 25.04.2017Trump administration calls on North Korea to free jailed US citizen
- 25.04.2017Tillerson, UN to discuss possible new sanctions against N Korea - State Dept.
- 24.04.2017White House explains goal of new us 'largest ever' sanctions against Syria
- 24.04.2017Trump not labeled 1915 events 'genocide'
- 23.04.2017Mexican police shoot dead two drug cartel leaders
- 23.04.2017At Least 1 Killed, 2 Injured in San Jose Shooting
- 23.04.2017Acting head of prison in Guatemala shot dead
- 23.04.2017Mexico kills Gulf cartel boss in Reynosa shootout
- 23.04.2017Powerful floods in Ecuador kill dozens of people
- 22.04.2017Venezuelan opposition begins rally in country's capital
- 22.04.2017Trump certain china to help deal with North Korean threat
- 22.04.2017Pence says United States will honor refugee deal with Australia
- 22.04.2017U.S. defense secretary says Syria dispersed warplanes, retains chemical weapons
- 22.04.2017Trump, UNSC members to meet at White House
- 22.04.2017Man shot dead in Venezuelan capital amid anti-government protests
- 21.04.2017Soul singer Cuba Gooding Sr. dies
- 21.04.2017Trump holds secret talks with Colombia’s former leaders
- 21.04.2017Police say 2 dead, 3 hurt in Vancouver Island rail crash
- 21.04.2017Latin America nations condemn Venezuela violence
- 20.04.2017UN Security Council condemns North Korea missile test
- 20.04.2017US secretary of defense arrives in Israel for talks
- 20.04.2017Venezuelan opposition protests again against Maduro
- 20.04.2017Bill O'Reilly out at Fox News amid sexual misconduct allegations
- 20.04.2017Venezuelan protests against government leave two students dead
- 20.04.201714 dead in Colombia landslides
- 19.04.2017Former U.S. President George H.W. Bush hospitalized in Houston
- 19.04.2017Trump directs National Security Council to review Iran nuclear deal
- 19.04.2017Three people killed in Fresno shooting spree
- 18.04.2017Kelly: Terror threat to US worse than before 9/11 attacks
- 18.04.2017Cleveland murder suspect Steve Stephens kills himself after pursuit
- 18.04.2017Pence says US will work with Japan, allies to resolve against North Korea
- 15.03.2017Snowstorm weakens after leaving at least 7 dead
- 15.03.2017UN has 'no intention' to arbitrate in Cyprus talks
- 15.03.2017US Senate confirms ex-senator Dan Coats as Director of National Intelligence
- 12.03.2017High profile US prosecutor Bharara fired
- 11.03.2017Death toll in Guatemala's youth shelter fire rises to 38
- 11.03.2017'White House intruder' arrested on grounds while Trump at residence - UPDATED