US aware of Russian, Syrian aid convoy to Manbij
The U.S. is aware of a Syrian-Russian convoy that traveled to the northern city of Manbij, the Pentagon confirmed Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Spokesman Eric Pahon said Washington was informed by Russia of the vehicles' transit, through an established channel the countries use to avoid accidental clashes.
The U.S. is "very closely tracking that Russian movement", he said, noting that the convoy, which predominantly carried aid, was accompanied by "heavy equipment" for force protection in the highly contested area.
"It’s a rapidly evolving situation and we’re keeping an eye on it," said Pahon. "We don’t want to cause any further instability in an already complicated battle space."
The U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) took control of Manbij from Daesh in August with the support of coalition air cover, and on-the-ground trainers and advisers.
The SDF is led by the YPG, a group the U.S. has consistently relied on as its principal partner in the anti-Daesh fight in northern Syria.
Turkey has designated the YPG as the Syrian offshoot of the PKK, also labeled by Turkey as a terrorist group. The U.S. and EU have similarly labeled the PKK, but has refrained from following suit on the YPG, vexing Ankara.
Turkey has insisted YPG elements leave Manbij and withdraw east of the Euphrates River.
Russian Lt. Gen. Sergey Rudskoy said earlier Friday the Syrian army would reach Manbij, and the YPG will leave the northern Syrian city to the Bashar al-Assad regime.
Rudskoy also said the Syrian government would administer state affairs in Manbij and the surrounding areas starting Friday.
The Pentagon said it has not been notified of such an agreement.
Related news releases
- 23.09.2017Canada to impose sanctions on Venezuela's Maduro and top officials
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijani FM speaks at OIC Annual Coordination Meeting
- 22.09.2017Mexico earthquake: Death toll rises as search for survivors goes on
- 22.09.2017Erdogan, Trump hold talks in New York
- 22.09.2017Storm Maria brings fear, pain and shock to Puerto Ricans
- 21.09.2017US imposes new sanctions on North Korea
- 21.09.2017Trump to make 'important sanctions-related announcement' about North Korea, says White House
- 21.09.2017Erdogan, Trump to meet in NYC on Thursday
- 21.09.2017Mexico rescuers work into night to save trapped girl as quake toll tops 230
- 21.09.2017Palestinian Abbas says Middle East peace closer with Trump engaged
- 21.09.2017Hurricane Maria brings destruction, heavy floods to Puerto Rico
- 21.09.2017US: 1 shot at Illinois high school
- 20.09.2017Afghan president says Trump war plan has better chance than Obama's
- 20.09.2017Oil up 2 percent despite U.S. crude build
- 20.09.2017Death toll from Mexico earthquake hits 226- UPDATED-2
- 20.09.2017Russia calls on US to engage in dialogue with North Korea — Lavrov
- 20.09.2017Lavrov, Abbas discuss efforts to restore Palestinian unity
- 19.09.2017Mexico city International airport suspends operations after strong earthquake
- 19.09.20177.1 magnitude earthquake hits Mexico city
- 19.09.2017Trump says if threatened, U.S. will 'totally destroy' North Korea
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of General Debate of 72nd Session of UN General Assembly in New York
- 19.09.2017Hurricane Maria betters Dominica, heads to Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017Trump calls out ‘radical Islamic terrorism’ by name at UN
- 19.09.2017US to pay 'high cost' if it leaves Iran deal: Rouhani
- 19.09.2017Powerful Hurricane Maria targets Caribbean, Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves defense spending bill
- 19.09.2017Xi and Trump discuss sanctions pressure on North Korea: White House
- 18.09.2017France defends Iran nuclear deal, Trump to decide soon
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Political Declaration for UN Reform High Level Event in New York
- 18.09.2017128 Nations Sign US Declaration on Reform of United Nations
- 18.09.2017UN stunted by 'bureaucracy and mismanagement': Trump
- 17.09.2017US denies U-turn on climate deal
- 17.09.2017UN Security Council to hold ministerial meeting on non-proliferation next week
- 17.09.2017Jets strike U.S.-backed forces in eastern Syria
- 17.09.2017St Louis police killing: 30 arrests after acquittal protests
- 16.09.2017Venezuela's Maduro upbeat on talks, opposition fear 'show'
- 16.09.2017Police arrest man at Dover port, search house in London bomb manhunt
- 16.09.2017US Hurricanes Expose Vulnerabilities of Bank Infrastructure
- 16.09.2017World’s oldest person dies
- 16.09.2017UN Security Council condemns DPRK over missile launch, stresses political solution
- 04.03.2017Mexico opposed to US tariffs: economy minister
- 04.03.2017Trump accuses Obama of wire tapping his phones prior to election
- 04.03.2017Trump accuses Obama of "wire-tapping" him before election, citing no evidence
- 03.03.2017US carries out over 30 strikes in Yemen within two days
- 03.03.2017Merkel to Travel to Washington to Meet Trump on March 14
- 03.03.2017Fire breaks out in Trump international hotel