US aware of Russian, Syrian aid convoy to Manbij
The U.S. is aware of a Syrian-Russian convoy that traveled to the northern city of Manbij, the Pentagon confirmed Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Spokesman Eric Pahon said Washington was informed by Russia of the vehicles' transit, through an established channel the countries use to avoid accidental clashes.
The U.S. is "very closely tracking that Russian movement", he said, noting that the convoy, which predominantly carried aid, was accompanied by "heavy equipment" for force protection in the highly contested area.
"It’s a rapidly evolving situation and we’re keeping an eye on it," said Pahon. "We don’t want to cause any further instability in an already complicated battle space."
The U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) took control of Manbij from Daesh in August with the support of coalition air cover, and on-the-ground trainers and advisers.
The SDF is led by the YPG, a group the U.S. has consistently relied on as its principal partner in the anti-Daesh fight in northern Syria.
Turkey has designated the YPG as the Syrian offshoot of the PKK, also labeled by Turkey as a terrorist group. The U.S. and EU have similarly labeled the PKK, but has refrained from following suit on the YPG, vexing Ankara.
Turkey has insisted YPG elements leave Manbij and withdraw east of the Euphrates River.
Russian Lt. Gen. Sergey Rudskoy said earlier Friday the Syrian army would reach Manbij, and the YPG will leave the northern Syrian city to the Bashar al-Assad regime.
Rudskoy also said the Syrian government would administer state affairs in Manbij and the surrounding areas starting Friday.
The Pentagon said it has not been notified of such an agreement.
Related news releases
- 24.02.2018Trump tax cut fuels record profit for Buffett's Berkshire
- 24.02.2018Trump urges Mexico to block illegal immigrants from El Salvador
- 24.02.2018UNSC postpones vote on ceasefire proposal in Syria
- 24.02.2018NASA finds water could be widespread on moon
- 24.02.2018White House on lockdown after vehicle hits security barrier
- 24.02.2018Trump: If North Korea sanctions don't work, we go to 'Phase 2'
- 24.02.2018Trump campaign aide to plead guilty
- 24.02.2018U.S. ready to open Jerusalem embassy in May: State Department
- 23.02.2018U.S. expects to open Jerusalem embassy in May, officials say
- 23.02.2018U.S. imposes largest package of sanctions against North Korea
- 23.02.2018Trump administration to target North Korea with new sanctions on Friday
- 23.02.2018IAEA reaffirms Iran’s compliance with JCPOA in its new report
- 23.02.2018SpaceX launches internet satellite prototypes
- 23.02.2018Man dies after throwing explosive device at US Embassy in Montenegro
- 23.02.2018Oil prices climb after unexpected drawdown in U.S. crude stocks
- 23.02.2018Russian diplomats tried to export 400 kg of cocaine from Argentina
- 22.02.2018Charity boss resigns from Unicef
- 22.02.2018US: Melania Trump’s parents become US residents
- 22.02.2018U.S. SEC updates guidance on cyber attack disclosure for companies
- 21.02.2018US: students rally in Florida to stop school shootings
- 21.02.2018U.S.-led air strike in Somalia kills three al Shabaab militants: statement
- 21.02.2018US pledges closer cooperation with Turkey
- 21.02.2018Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'
- 21.02.2018Trump phones Mexican president over copter crash
- 20.02.2018Pentagon prepares new ballistic missile defense review
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 16.02.2018John Kirby: "Tillerson breaks protocol by meeting Erdogan without translator"
- 16.02.2018Tillerson and Turkey's Erdogan had productive conversation: U.S. spokesman
- 16.02.2018US court says travel ban discriminates against Muslims
- 15.02.2018FBI was warned about Florida gunman
- 15.02.2018Avalanche kills three skiers in France
- 04.03.2017Mexico opposed to US tariffs: economy minister
- 04.03.2017Trump accuses Obama of wire tapping his phones prior to election
- 04.03.2017Trump accuses Obama of "wire-tapping" him before election, citing no evidence
- 03.03.2017US carries out over 30 strikes in Yemen within two days
- 03.03.2017Merkel to Travel to Washington to Meet Trump on March 14
- 03.03.2017Fire breaks out in Trump international hotel