US aware of Russian, Syrian aid convoy to Manbij
The U.S. is aware of a Syrian-Russian convoy that traveled to the northern city of Manbij, the Pentagon confirmed Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Spokesman Eric Pahon said Washington was informed by Russia of the vehicles' transit, through an established channel the countries use to avoid accidental clashes.
The U.S. is "very closely tracking that Russian movement", he said, noting that the convoy, which predominantly carried aid, was accompanied by "heavy equipment" for force protection in the highly contested area.
"It’s a rapidly evolving situation and we’re keeping an eye on it," said Pahon. "We don’t want to cause any further instability in an already complicated battle space."
The U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) took control of Manbij from Daesh in August with the support of coalition air cover, and on-the-ground trainers and advisers.
The SDF is led by the YPG, a group the U.S. has consistently relied on as its principal partner in the anti-Daesh fight in northern Syria.
Turkey has designated the YPG as the Syrian offshoot of the PKK, also labeled by Turkey as a terrorist group. The U.S. and EU have similarly labeled the PKK, but has refrained from following suit on the YPG, vexing Ankara.
Turkey has insisted YPG elements leave Manbij and withdraw east of the Euphrates River.
Russian Lt. Gen. Sergey Rudskoy said earlier Friday the Syrian army would reach Manbij, and the YPG will leave the northern Syrian city to the Bashar al-Assad regime.
Rudskoy also said the Syrian government would administer state affairs in Manbij and the surrounding areas starting Friday.
The Pentagon said it has not been notified of such an agreement.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2017Sean Spicer resigns as White House spokesman
- 21.07.2017Brazil to raise taxes, freeze spending to meet target
- 21.07.2017UN treaty on nuclear arms ban may hinder IAEA work - Russian Foreign Ministry
- 21.07.2017Millions heed anti-Maduro shutdown in Venezuela
- 20.07.2017Linkin Park lead singer Chester Bennington commits suicide in his 41
- 20.07.2017Trump's son, close associates to appear before Senate
- 20.07.2017Trump cancels military support for Syrian rebels
- 20.07.2017Senator McCain diagnosed with aggressive brain cancer
- 20.07.2017U.S., Canada, Mexico agree on fast-paced NAFTA talks
- 19.07.2017U.S. Supreme Court partly rejects Trump in latest travel ban fight
- 19.07.2017Number of terrorist attacks globally dropped in 2016: U.S. government
- 19.07.2017Mexico concerned with US desire to cut trade deficits
- 19.07.2017Trump, Putin met for nearly an hour in second G20 meeting
- 19.07.2017U.S. prepares sanctions against senior Venezuelan officials
- 19.07.2017US Senate to Hold Hearings on Individual Health Insurance Market
- 18.07.2017U.S. puts new sanctions on Iran over ballistic missile program
- 18.07.2017Strong earthquake strikes off Peru, no tsunami risk seen
- 18.07.2017Tillerson Recertifies Iran's compliance to nuclear agreement
- 18.07.2017US Navy tests laser weapons system in Persian Gulf
- 18.07.2017US to maintain dialogue with Israel on halting Iranian ambitions in Syria
- 18.07.2017Oil prices ease on signs of steady output from some producers
- 16.07.2017US Navy commissions new Arleigh Burke-class destroyer at Pearl Harbor base
- 16.07.2017Turks in Germany mark anniversary of defeated coup
- 16.07.2017Cat killer jailed for 16 years in San Jose, California
- 15.07.2017Russian-American lobbyist attended Trump Jr. controversial meeting
- 15.07.2017Oil up 1 percent, posts weekly gain of 5 percent
- 15.07.2017US cannot confirm Daesh leader Baghdadi’s death
- 15.07.2017Trump, Saudi king discuss resolution of Qatar row
- 14.07.2017Mexico gun attack on children's party in Tizayuca kills 11
- 14.07.2017Trump says he would invite Putin to White House, but not now
- 14.07.2017US: Qatar crisis may take long time to resolve despite subtle Progress
- 13.07.2017Yellen says 3 percent U.S. growth 'quite challenging' in coming years
- 13.07.2017Ex-US president Jimmy Carter hospitalized in Canada - Carter Center
- 13.07.2017Grassley to send Trump Jr. letter asking him to testify
- 13.07.2017Democrats introduce new bill on Russia and Iran sanctions
- 13.07.2017Trump says he does not fault son for meeting Russian lawyer
- 13.07.2017Rising seas threaten hundreds of coastal US towns
- 13.07.2017Canada raises interest rate for first time in 7 years
- 13.07.2017Sanders: Lawmaker article of impeachment against Trump 'completely ridiculous'
- 13.07.2017Pentagon confirms US troops enter Raqqa to ‘advise, assist’ in battle with Daesh
- 04.03.2017Mexico opposed to US tariffs: economy minister
- 04.03.2017Trump accuses Obama of wire tapping his phones prior to election
- 04.03.2017Trump accuses Obama of "wire-tapping" him before election, citing no evidence
- 03.03.2017US carries out over 30 strikes in Yemen within two days
- 03.03.2017Merkel to Travel to Washington to Meet Trump on March 14
- 03.03.2017Fire breaks out in Trump international hotel