US aware of Russian, Syrian aid convoy to Manbij
The U.S. is aware of a Syrian-Russian convoy that traveled to the northern city of Manbij, the Pentagon confirmed Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Spokesman Eric Pahon said Washington was informed by Russia of the vehicles' transit, through an established channel the countries use to avoid accidental clashes.
The U.S. is "very closely tracking that Russian movement", he said, noting that the convoy, which predominantly carried aid, was accompanied by "heavy equipment" for force protection in the highly contested area.
"It’s a rapidly evolving situation and we’re keeping an eye on it," said Pahon. "We don’t want to cause any further instability in an already complicated battle space."
The U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) took control of Manbij from Daesh in August with the support of coalition air cover, and on-the-ground trainers and advisers.
The SDF is led by the YPG, a group the U.S. has consistently relied on as its principal partner in the anti-Daesh fight in northern Syria.
Turkey has designated the YPG as the Syrian offshoot of the PKK, also labeled by Turkey as a terrorist group. The U.S. and EU have similarly labeled the PKK, but has refrained from following suit on the YPG, vexing Ankara.
Turkey has insisted YPG elements leave Manbij and withdraw east of the Euphrates River.
Russian Lt. Gen. Sergey Rudskoy said earlier Friday the Syrian army would reach Manbij, and the YPG will leave the northern Syrian city to the Bashar al-Assad regime.
Rudskoy also said the Syrian government would administer state affairs in Manbij and the surrounding areas starting Friday.
The Pentagon said it has not been notified of such an agreement.
Related news releases
- 28.05.2017Canada opposition picks young social conservative to take on Trudeau
- 28.05.2017US: Two killed trying to stop Islamophobic abuse
- 27.05.2017Trump isolated at G7 talks over climate
- 27.05.2017Comey acted on Russian intelligence he knew was fake
- 27.05.2017Prime Minister of Canada issues statement on Ramadan
- 27.05.2017Former Jimmy Carter adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski dies at 90
- 27.05.2017Tillerson declines to host Ramadan event at State Department
- 27.05.2017As North Korea claims missile progress, Pentagon plans ICBM interceptor test
- 26.05.2017White House: Trump has no plans to ease anti-Russia sanctions, may impose more
- 26.05.2017Harvard dropout Facebook CEO gets degree after 13 years
- 26.05.2017Wall Street closes at record; crude falls 5 percent
- 25.05.2017US Fed to ‘soon’ raise interest rates
- 25.05.2017Wall Street closes higher after Fed minutes
- 25.05.2017US Senator to introduce new Russia sanctions Thursday – Spokesman
- 25.05.2017Thousands protest against Temer, reforms in Brasilia
- 25.05.2017Trump praises Duterte for anti-drug campaign in call transcript
- 24.05.2017Trump tells Netanyahu, Abbas to compromise to make peace - Tillerson
- 24.05.2017Venezuela to push ahead with assembly in July despite unrest
- 23.05.2017White House: Trump, Netanyahu pledge to work together to combat terrorism
- 23.05.2017UK police name Manchester attacker as 22-year-old Salman Abedi
- 23.05.2017Wall Street closes higher with rise in oil prices
- 21.05.2017At least 46 wounded in Saturday anti-government protests in Venezuela
- 21.05.2017Congressman threatened with lynching after calling for Trump’s impeachment
- 21.05.20178 injured in plane-truck collision at LA airport
- 21.05.2017U.S. calls on Iran to halt support for 'destabilizing forces'
- 21.05.2017Brazil president lambastes bribe testimony by JBS executives
- 20.05.2017Tillerson unaware of White House 'person of interest' in Russia probe
- 20.05.2017US hopes re-elected Iranian President Rouhani to stop missile program
- 20.05.2017Approval of President Trump drops to lowest since inauguration
- 20.05.2017‘Trust’ Us: Tillerson urges North Korea to back off nuke program
- 20.05.2017U.N. sees 'incremental progress' after Syria talks
- 20.05.2017White House adviser is person of interest in Russia probe: report
- 19.05.2017Mattis: Militia hit by US strike in Syria Iran-directed offensive force
- 19.05.2017US imposes sanctions on Venezuela Supreme Court
- 19.05.2017US sends second aircraft carrier to Korea after DPRK’s missile test
- 19.05.2017Democrats predict a Trump sellout on NAFTA
- 19.05.2017Fox News founder dies at 77
- 19.05.2017U.S. executives tell Congress they want permanent tax reform
- 19.05.2017Trump: "I never asked Comey to close Flynn probe"
- 18.05.2017Trump calls special counsel Russia probe 'greatest witch hunt' in U.S. history
- 04.03.2017Mexico opposed to US tariffs: economy minister
- 04.03.2017Trump accuses Obama of wire tapping his phones prior to election
- 04.03.2017Trump accuses Obama of "wire-tapping" him before election, citing no evidence
- 03.03.2017US carries out over 30 strikes in Yemen within two days
- 03.03.2017Merkel to Travel to Washington to Meet Trump on March 14
- 03.03.2017Fire breaks out in Trump international hotel