US Army advisers explore operation sites in Iraq
U.S. military advisers alongside Iraqi army commanders explored sites of an upcoming counter-terror operation in northern Iraq, an army official said, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Captain Jabbar Hassan told Anadolu Agency that security officials explored western Sharqat district in Saladin province ahead of an operation to liberate it from the Daesh terror group.
U.S. armored vehicles explored the sites while the advisers monitored the war strategy, he added.
Iraqi forces are preparing to recapture Kirkuk province's Hawija district and Sharqat district from Daesh militants simultaneously.
Last week, Iraqi forces began advancing towards the two districts that have been under Daesh control since 2014.
Both the Peshmerga and Asayish forces of the Iraqi Kurdish Region control the central, northern and eastern areas of Kirkuk province after the Iraqi Army fled from the city in mid-2014.
Late last month, Iraqi forces backed by a U.S.-led coalition captured the Tal Afar district in Nineveh province following a 10-day campaign.
A predominantly Turkmen district, Tal Afar was overrun by the terrorist group -- along with large territories in northern and western Iraq -- in mid-2014.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018US: Melania Trump’s parents become US residents
- 22.02.2018U.S. SEC updates guidance on cyber attack disclosure for companies
- 21.02.2018US: students rally in Florida to stop school shootings
- 21.02.2018U.S.-led air strike in Somalia kills three al Shabaab militants: statement
- 21.02.2018US pledges closer cooperation with Turkey
- 21.02.2018Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'
- 21.02.2018Trump phones Mexican president over copter crash
- 20.02.2018Pentagon prepares new ballistic missile defense review
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 16.02.2018John Kirby: "Tillerson breaks protocol by meeting Erdogan without translator"
- 16.02.2018Tillerson and Turkey's Erdogan had productive conversation: U.S. spokesman
- 16.02.2018US court says travel ban discriminates against Muslims
- 15.02.2018FBI was warned about Florida gunman
- 15.02.2018Avalanche kills three skiers in France
- 15.02.2018US and Russia dispute over Syria in UN Security Council
- 15.02.2018Any U.S. talks with North Korea would press denuclearization demand: Pence
- 15.02.2018Tillerson wants more cooperation with Turkey on Syria
- 15.02.2018Ex-student kills 17 in shooting spree at Florida high school- UPDATED
- 14.02.2018New US sanctions against Russia to come in near future - US Treasury Secretary
- 14.02.2018Shooting outside NSA campus leaves at least three injured
- 14.02.2018Tillerson stresses need to discuss issue of co-op to reduce threats against Turkey
- 14.02.2018Washington Has No Problem With Turkey's Plan to Rename US Embassy Street
- 14.02.2018State Department: US Ready to Hold Talks With North Korea
- 14.02.2018Several People Injured in Utah Shooting
- 13.02.2018Tillerson: "Turkey's operation in Afrin negatively affected the fight against ISIL"
- 13.02.2018Tillerson visits Egypt's Sisi at start of Mideast tour
- 13.02.2018Trump daughter-in-law hospitalized over suspect letter
- 13.02.2018White House dismisses idea of U.S.-Israel discussing settlement annexation
- 11.02.2018Canadian PM motorcade crashes, police officer and two others injured
- 11.02.2018Ohio police officers were killed while protecting others, chief says
- 10.02.2018FARC suspends political campaigning in Colombia
- 07.09.2017Protesters clash with police as US adds launchers to South Korean THAAD Site
- 08.09.2017Hurricane Irma kills 5 as it sweeps through island of Saint Martin
- 08.09.2017Trump: 'Nothing is inevitable' on N Korea
- 07.09.2017US aircraft evacuates over 20 İSİL commanders from Deir ez-Zor
- 07.09.2017Trump Jr. to testify privately to Senate committee on Thursday: aides
- 07.09.2017U.S. asks U.N. to impose oil embargo on North Korea, cut textile exports