US Army advisers explore operation sites in Iraq
U.S. military advisers alongside Iraqi army commanders explored sites of an upcoming counter-terror operation in northern Iraq, an army official said, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
Captain Jabbar Hassan told Anadolu Agency that security officials explored western Sharqat district in Saladin province ahead of an operation to liberate it from the Daesh terror group.
U.S. armored vehicles explored the sites while the advisers monitored the war strategy, he added.
Iraqi forces are preparing to recapture Kirkuk province's Hawija district and Sharqat district from Daesh militants simultaneously.
Last week, Iraqi forces began advancing towards the two districts that have been under Daesh control since 2014.
Both the Peshmerga and Asayish forces of the Iraqi Kurdish Region control the central, northern and eastern areas of Kirkuk province after the Iraqi Army fled from the city in mid-2014.
Late last month, Iraqi forces backed by a U.S.-led coalition captured the Tal Afar district in Nineveh province following a 10-day campaign.
A predominantly Turkmen district, Tal Afar was overrun by the terrorist group -- along with large territories in northern and western Iraq -- in mid-2014.
Related news releases
- 23.11.2017UN says ongoing Daesh threat needs to be annihilated
- 23.11.2017Anomalous methane-rich comet 45p could be key to understanding origins of life
- 23.11.2017Trump to meet congressional leaders next week on legislative issues -White House
- 23.11.2017Ex-Olympics doctor faces 25 to 40 years in prison
- 23.11.2017U.S. welcomes Hariri's return to Lebanon: State Department official
- 23.11.2017U.S. crude pares gains, but lingers near 2-year high
- 23.11.2017U.S. calls Myanmar moves against Rohingya 'ethnic cleansing'
- 22.11.2017Attorney general says bodyguard accidentally kills Mexican Televisa exec
- 22.11.2017US calls Turkish gov’t accusations of plot in Zarrab case ‘ridiculous’
- 22.11.2017US sanctions Chinese, North Korean entities
- 22.11.2017Colombia protests Venezuelan military crossing border
- 21.11.2017UK welcomes Mugabe's resignation
- 21.11.2017Trump and Putin spoke by phone
- 21.11.2017US, Afghan forces launch anti-poppy operation
- 21.11.2017Missing Argentine submarine had reported electrical malfunction
- 20.11.2017US re-designates N Korea state sponsor of terrorism
- 19.11.2017Trump calls 'crooked' Hillary Clinton 'worst and biggest loser of all time'
- 18.11.20179 injured in large fire atop 6-story apartment building in New York
- 18.11.2017Argentine submarine goes missing for two days, major search op underway
- 18.11.2017Canada, Mexico try more flexibility as key NAFTA round opens
- 17.11.2017US official: If Turkey buys Russian systems, they can’t plug into NATO tech
- 17.11.2017Turkish businessman Reza Zarrab escapes knife attack in U.S. prison
- 17.11.2017Canadian senator dies on parliamentary trip in Colombia
- 17.11.2017South Dakota Keystone pipeline shut down after oil spill
- 17.11.2017UN Security Council rejects Russian draft on Syria chemical probe
- 17.11.2017The impeachment of President Donald Trump has officially begun
- 17.11.2017Fed's Williams calls for global rethink of monetary policy
- 17.11.2017US House passes tax reform bill, sends measure to Senate
- 16.11.2017Trump urges U.N. council to renew Syria chemical arms inquiry
- 16.11.2017More worries in Congress over cuts at U.S. State Department
- 16.11.2017US Democrats enter new articles to impeach Trump
- 15.11.2017Planned talks between Venezuelan opposition, government will not take place
- 15.11.2017U.S. security officials arrive in Israel to discuss Syria agreement
- 15.11.2017US FDA approves first 'digital pill'
- 15.11.2017Death toll as a result of a gunman in California fired at school reached - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017De Mistura: Putin, Trump create qualitatively new situation in Syrian settlement
- 14.11.2017At least 3 dead in California school shooting, shooter killed by police
- 14.11.2017Trump vows free and open Indo-Pacific region
- 14.11.2017US Army lifts ban on recruits with mental health history
- 12.11.2017Six people killed in bus-hearse crash in Mexico
- 07.09.2017Protesters clash with police as US adds launchers to South Korean THAAD Site
- 08.09.2017Hurricane Irma kills 5 as it sweeps through island of Saint Martin
- 08.09.2017Trump: 'Nothing is inevitable' on N Korea
- 07.09.2017US aircraft evacuates over 20 İSİL commanders from Deir ez-Zor
- 07.09.2017Trump Jr. to testify privately to Senate committee on Thursday: aides
- 07.09.2017U.S. asks U.N. to impose oil embargo on North Korea, cut textile exports