Under pressure from Trump, Tom Price resigns as health secretary over private plane uproar
U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Tom Price resigned under pressure from President Donald Trump on Friday in an uproar over Price’s use of private charter planes for government business, APA reports quoting Reuters.
His abrupt departure was announced an hour after Trump told reporters he was disappointed in Price’s use of expensive plane travel and did not like the optics of it.
“Secretary of Health and Human Services Thomas Price offered his resignation earlier today and the president accepted,” the White House said in a statement.
Trump named Don Wright to serve as acting secretary. Wright is currently the deputy assistant secretary for health and director of the office of disease prevention and health promotion.
Related news releases
- 18.12.2017Amtrak train derails on highway bridge in Washington state, several killed - UPDATED
- 17.12.2017Honduran helicopter crash kills six, including president's sister
- 16.12.2017Canadian police probe mysterious deaths of billionaire pharma couple
- 16.12.2017US may stop Boeing and Airbus jetliner sales to Iran
- 16.12.2017US woman used bitcoin to move cash to ISIS
- 16.12.2017Trump calls immigrants with lottery visas ‘worst of the worst’
- 16.12.2017Canadian pharmaceuticals billionaire and wife found dead In Toronto mansion
- 16.12.2017Trump to propose ending rule allowing spouses of H-1B holders to work in U.S.
- 16.12.2017UN ready to become intermediary in talks with North Korea — secretary-general
- 16.12.2017Fed's Quarles to recuse himself from Wells Fargo matters
- 16.12.2017NATO expresses concern over Russian missile system
- 15.12.2017Tillerson: "US not to accept any preconditions for talks with North Korea"
- 15.12.2017Trump says US hopes to have more help from Russia on North Korea
- 15.12.2017Syria talks end without any achievements: UN envoy
- 14.12.2017Stoltenberg: "Europe can have its own army, as long as it 'complements' NATO"
- 14.12.2017Plane with 25 people aboard crashes in Canada
- 14.12.2017Trump's eldest son testifies to Senate committee in Russia probe
- 14.12.2017Despite Tillerson overture, White House says not right time for North Korea talks
- 14.12.2017Canada says defense firms can now sell small arms to Ukraine
- 14.12.2017US ‘committed to its strategic partnership with Turkey’
- 14.12.2017Brazil's Temer back in hospital for prostate tests
- 13.12.2017FETO fugitive admits receiving money from FBI
- 13.12.2017400,000 children in DR Congo could die from hunger, says Unicef
- 13.12.2017The US Federal Reserve will raise the rate
- 13.12.2017UN warns of new Syria refugee flow into Europe
- 13.12.2017U.S. Secretary of State: U.S. ready to talk but North Korea must be ready to change course
- 13.12.2017Pentagon looking to triple size of Afghan air force by 2025
- 13.12.2017Venezuela to start criminal probe into ex-oil czar Ramirez
- 12.12.2017New York bombing suspect Akayed Ullah warned Trump on Facebook
- 12.12.2017Trump to send astronauts back to the moon - and eventually Mars
- 11.12.2017Mayor: Explosion at Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan was attempted terror attack
- 11.12.2017New York 'bomb' prematurely exploded at Manhattan subway platform - UPDATED
- 09.12.2017Trump senior aide Dina Powell to resign early next year: White House
- 08.12.2017Trump: I fulfilled my campaign promise
- 08.12.2017US Congress passes spending bill to avoid government shutdown
- 08.12.2017Ex-South Carolina cop sentenced to 20 years in US
- 08.12.2017Judge orders arrest of former Argentine president
- 08.12.201741 students suffer minor injuries after 3 school buses crash in Kentucky
- 07.12.20173 dead, 15 injured in New Mexico high school shooting
- 07.12.2017B-1B bomber joins U.S.-South Korea drills as tensions escalate
- 30.09.2017US does not recognize KRG's independence poll
- 30.09.2017Trump lashes out at San Juan mayor over Maria response
- 30.09.2017U.S. directly communicating with North Korea, seeks dialogue
- 30.09.2017US cuts diplomatic staff in Cuba, warns against travel
- 29.09.2017US Senate approves Jon Huntsman as ambassador to Russia
- 29.09.2017Myanmar violence looks like ethnic cleansing: US