UN welcomes planned Trump-Kim meeting
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres "is encouraged" by a planned meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, a spokesman said Friday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
The secretary general "commends the leadership and vision of all concerned and reiterates his support for all efforts towards peaceful denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula in accordance with relevant Security Council resolutions," Stephane Dujarric said in a statement.
Trump agreed to meet Kim after the North Korean leader "expressed his eagerness to meet President Trump as soon as possible", South Korean National Security Adviser Chung Eui-Yiong told reporters at the White House on Thursday.
The meeting is planned for some time by May, but no time or place has been yet been agreed.
Trump and Kim have a year-long history of acrimonious rhetoric, with Trump notably threatening the North Korean leader, whom he has called "little rocket man", with "fire and fury", and Kim retorting "a frightened dog barks louder" after Trump addressed the UN.
In addition to seeking talks, Kim told the South Koreans he has pledged to halt Pyongyang's ballistic missile and nuclear tests and will not oppose joint U.S.-South Korean military drills, said Chung, who was in Washington to brief Trump and senior U.S. officials on Seoul's recent talks with the North.
If the meeting does take place it would mark the first sit-down between a serving U.S. president and a Korean leader.
The countries lack formal diplomatic ties, and nearly three decades of sporadic talks have failed to de-nuclearize the Korean peninsula.
Related news releases
- 18.03.20181 person dead in shooting at Southern California mall, authorities say
- 18.03.2018Florida officials knew about bridge crack
- 17.03.2018Trump, South Korea's Moon discuss engagement with North
- 16.03.2018US: At least 6 dead in Florida bridge collapse
- 16.03.2018At least four dead in pedestrian bridge collapse at university in Miami - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Nike brand president resigns; company probes workplace complaints
- 16.03.2018Colombia resumes peace talks with ELN rebels
- 16.03.2018Facebook Lite to launch in developed countries, including US
- 16.03.2018Broadcom tops revenue, profit on demand from smartphone makers
- 16.03.2018Several reported dead after pedestrian bridge collapses in Miami
- 15.03.2018Mueller subpoenas Trump organization, demands Russia-related docs
- 15.03.2018Explosion hits chemical plant in Texas, building ablaze - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Former Trump campaign manager Manafort files to dismiss charges
- 15.03.2018U.S. Ambassador Haley tells U.N. Russia responsible for chemical attack
- 15.03.2018Trump taps commentator Kudlow for top economic adviser
- 15.03.2018US students rally nationwide against gun violence
- 15.03.2018Russian UN Envoy: 'Unacceptable' for UK to accuse Moscow of nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018At least six die in Bolivia prison uprising
- 14.03.2018Three arrested, charged in US mosque bombing
- 13.03.2018White House fires top Tillerson aide after comments on Boss' firing
- 13.03.2018US defense secretary backs Afghan overtures to Taliban
- 13.03.2018Trump: Tillerson and I "disagreed on things" like the Iran deal
- 13.03.2018Trump sacks Rex Tillerson as state secretary
- 13.03.2018White House expects North Korea summit to happen despite Pyongyang's silence
- 13.03.2018US: House Republicans find no Trump-Russia collusion
- 13.03.2018U.S. may lift travel ban on 'important partner' Chad, Tillerson says
- 13.03.2018U.N. blames Honduras security forces for killing electoral protesters
- 12.03.2018U.S. warns if Security Council doesn't act on Syria, it will
- 12.03.2018Tillerson says several steps needed for U.S. talks with North Korea
- 11.03.2018Trump says North Korea talks could fail or bring 'greatest deal'
- 10.03.2018US Secretary of State Tillerson Ill, Cancels Africa Tour Events
- 07.03.2018U.S. President's top economic adviser stepping down
- 07.03.2018State Dept sanctions DPRK for using agent VX to kill Kim Jong Un’s half-brother
- 07.03.2018International nuclear fusion project seeks reversal of Trump budget cuts
- 07.03.2018Trump, Swedish PM clash over looming metals tariffs
- 07.03.2018Trump sees 'possible progress' in North Korea denuclearization
- 06.03.2018US will withdraw from Iran nuclear deal unless it is fixed soon – Pence
- 06.03.2018Florida state Senate votes against arming most classroom teachers
- 06.03.2018Security clearance downgrade did not affect Kushner's Mideast role: White House
- 06.03.2018Former Trump aide Nunberg says he will not cooperate with Russia probe
- 10.03.2018U.S. seeks 'concrete actions' from North Korea before talks
- 10.03.20183 hostages and gunman dead at California veterans' home
- 10.03.2018Trump to rally for endangered Republican in Pennsylvania
- 08.03.2018Alabama student dies in accidental school shooting: officials
- 08.03.2018U.N. urges Syria to ensure truce for Ghouta aid convoy on Thursday
- 07.03.2018UN secretary-general: Gender inequality and discrimination against women harms us all