UN unable to confirm death of Daesh leader Baghdadi
The UN cannot confirm through independent sources that Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the Daesh leader was killed in a Russian airstrike, UN Secretary-General spokesman Stephane Dujarric said in a briefing on Friday, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
"We have no independent confirmation from our end," Dujarric said. "We are not involved first hand in any of the military or security operations. I don't have any information besides what we've read in the media."
Earlier in the day, the Russian Defense Ministry said that it was verifying information that IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi could have been killed in a Russian Aerospace Forces strike, carried out on May 28.
The ministry released a photo demonstrating the results of the Russia's Aerospace Forces' airstrike conducted on May 28 against Daesh headquarters.
A photo dated May 13 shows four buildings of Daesh headquarters. However, the photo dated May 28 shows that the buildings hit by the Russian airstrike have been completely destroyed.
Related news releases
- 16.08.2017Explosion occurs at plaza Venezuela metro station in Caracas
- 16.08.2017Trump: Both sides to blame in Charlottesville violence
- 16.08.2017Colombia’s FARC to become political party with new name, same acronym
- 16.08.2017U.S. confident of 'peaceable' Venezuelan solution
- 16.08.2017US senator McCain urges Trump to promote free trade as NAFTA talks begin
- 15.08.2017U.S. sanctions hit Russian hopes of a 'Trump bump' for investment
- 15.08.2017Oil prices steady after overnight tumble on dollar strength
- 15.08.2017Venezuela's Maduro seeks to capitalize on Trump's military threat
- 15.08.2017Pence says 'failed state' in Venezuela threatens United States
- 15.08.2017Trump condemns KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists
- 14.08.2017Trump returns to Washington with target on China
- 14.08.2017Mike Pence: Peaceful solution to Venezuela crisis is possible
- 13.08.20172 killed in helicopter crash in U.S. state of Virginia
- 13.08.2017Emergency declared in the US as clashes erupt at hate rally
- 12.08.2017At least 1 killed, over 30 injured in Charlottesville Far-Right violence
- 12.08.2017Magnitude 5.6 quake kills 1, hurts 2 in Peru
- 12.08.2017Venezuela defense chief calls Trump threat of intervention 'crazy'
- 12.08.2017Trump: North Korea will regret any acts against US
- 12.08.2017Trump: Military option possible in Venezuela
- 12.08.2017Trump will send envoys to Middle East to discuss peace: official
- 12.08.2017US not interested in talking about back channels with North Korea
- 11.08.2017US state secretary calls for delay of Kurd region poll
- 11.08.2017Trump tweets 'military solutions for North Korea are locked and loaded'
- 11.08.2017Trump thanks Putin for expelling U.S. diplomats, infuriating State Department
- 11.08.2017US could shut Russian consulate over diplomatic ouster
- 11.08.2017Venezuela's Maduro says ready for talks with Trump
- 11.08.2017Trump declares national emergency on opioid abuse
- 11.08.2017Trump escalates warning to North Korea
- 10.08.2017U.S. destroyer challenges China's claims in South China Sea
- 10.08.2017US strongly reacts to Putin's visit to Abkhazia
- 10.08.2017Guam governor says 'no panic' on US pacific island over North Korea's threat
- 10.08.2017Cuban diplomats expelled from US over mystery illness
- 10.08.2017Oil inches higher after data points to declining U.S. inventories
- 09.08.2017Pentagon chief issues stark warning to North Korea
- 09.08.2017US sanctions 22 Mexican individuals, 43 entities tied to drug gang
- 09.08.2017Trump boasts of U.S. nuclear power in warning to North Korea
- 09.08.2017Trump campaign turns over thousands of documents in Russia probe
- 09.08.2017US regulators to probe Qualcomm’s complaints of Apple
- 09.08.2017Venezuela using excessive force, arrests to crush protests: U.N.
- 08.08.2017Trump: North Korean threats 'will be met with fire & fury'
- 16.06.2017Trump orders clampdown on Cuba travel and trade, curbing Obama detente
- 17.06.2017Trump commends Trudeau for boosting Canada’s military spending
- 17.06.2017Seven U.S. soldiers wounded in insider attack at Afghan base
- 16.06.2017US sending almost 4,000 extra forces to Afghanistan
- 16.06.2017U.S. Vice President hires counsel to deal with Russia probe inquiries
- 16.06.2017Senate passes new sanctions on Iran, Russia