UN unable to confirm death of Daesh leader Baghdadi
The UN cannot confirm through independent sources that Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the Daesh leader was killed in a Russian airstrike, UN Secretary-General spokesman Stephane Dujarric said in a briefing on Friday, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
"We have no independent confirmation from our end," Dujarric said. "We are not involved first hand in any of the military or security operations. I don't have any information besides what we've read in the media."
Earlier in the day, the Russian Defense Ministry said that it was verifying information that IS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi could have been killed in a Russian Aerospace Forces strike, carried out on May 28.
The ministry released a photo demonstrating the results of the Russia's Aerospace Forces' airstrike conducted on May 28 against Daesh headquarters.
A photo dated May 13 shows four buildings of Daesh headquarters. However, the photo dated May 28 shows that the buildings hit by the Russian airstrike have been completely destroyed.
Related news releases
- 22.05.2018Trump says summit with Kim may be delayed
- 22.05.2018Cuba plane crash death toll rises to 111
- 21.05.2018U.S. toughens stance on Iran, lists sweeping demands
- 20.05.201822 injured after flash fire at plant near Pasadena
- 20.05.2018110 Confirmed Dead in Cuba Boeing 737 Plane Crash
- 19.05.2018Crashed Cuban plane's passengers included five foreigners plus crew: state media
- 19.05.2018U.S. sanctions No. 2 official in Venezuela's Socialist party
- 19.05.2018More than 100 killed in passenger plane crash in Cuba - UPDATED-1
- 18.05.2018In speech, Pompeo to call for 'broad support' against Iran
- 18.05.2018Senate approves Gina Haspel as next CIA director
- 18.05.2018PayPal in talks to buy Sweden's iZettle in $2.2 billion deal: WSJ
- 18.05.2018'Loner' student shoots and kills 10 at Texas school - UPDATED
- 18.05.2018US says ready to defend as Russia deploys in Mediterranean
- 17.05.2018China becomes spoiled on trade, trade deal unlikely to happen - Trump - UPDATED
- 17.05.2018Scope of drills unchanged amid preparations to Summit with Kim - Pentagon
- 17.05.2018Canada's Trudeau says feeling positive about NAFTA talks
- 17.05.2018Explosive eruption occurs at Hawaii's Kilauea volcano
- 17.05.2018Key senators: 'no doubt' Russia sought to interfere in U.S. election
- 17.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Arkansas
- 17.05.2018U.S. sanctions Hezbollah leader Nasrallah, deputy Qassem
- 17.05.2018UN 'collapsed' in face of Gaza killings: Turkish leader
- 16.05.2018Trump says 'We'll see' on North Korea summit, to insist on denuclearization
- 16.05.2018Trump tweets: China has 'much to give' in trade negotiations
- 16.05.2018Ash cloud from Hawaii volcano sparks aviation red alert
- 16.05.2018Mexico central bank to create cyber security unit after hack
- 15.05.2018US sanctions head of Iran's central bank
- 15.05.2018Facebook suspends 200 apps over mishandled user data
- 15.05.2018North, South Korea to hold high-level inter-Korea talks on May 16
- 15.05.2018US First Lady Undergoes Kidney Surgery at Military Hospital
- 15.05.2018U.S. blames Hamas for deadly Gaza violence
- 13.05.2018Trump welcomes North Korea's decision to dismantle nuclear test site
- 12.05.2018US condemns Iranian 'destabilizing influence' in region
- 11.05.2018Trump seeks 'very meaningful' summit in Singapore with North Korea
- 11.05.2018White House Reveals Reasons Singapore Chosen for Kim-Trump Summit
- 11.05.2018SpaceX postpones first commercial launch of updated Falcon 9 rocket
- 10.05.2018US Imposes New Sanctions on Iran
- 10.05.2018Trump-Kim Jong-un summit set for Singapore on 12 June
- 10.05.2018US to address shortcomings in Iran deal: Mattis
- 10.05.2018Americans freed by North Korea before Trump-Kim summit head home
- 10.05.2018Trump says U.S.-North Korea summit will not be at demilitarized zone
- 11.01.2017Trump calls Russia reports 'fake news - a total political witch hunt'
- 11.01.2017Obama's farewell speech: "Defend democracy! Democracy is threatened whenever we take it for granted"
- 11.01.2017Obama says his administration to ensure smoothest possible transition of power
- 11.01.2017Jury sentences Charleston Shooter to death
- 10.01.2017Kerry warns of 'authoritarian populism,' takes jab at Trump tweets
- 10.01.2017Venezuela Congress says Maduro 'abandoned post'; Congress called 'disobedient'