UN slams civilian losses in US-led Raqqah airstrikes
At least 300 civilians have been killed, and 160,000 displaced amid the intensified airstrikes by the U.S.-led anti-Daesh coalition against Syria's northern city of Raqqah, a UN commission said Wednesday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"We note in particular that the intensification of airstrikes, which have paved the ground for an SDF - Syrian Democratic Forces - advance in Raqqah, has resulted not only in staggering loss of civilian life, but has also led to 160,000 civilians fleeing their homes and becoming internally displaced," chairman of the UN's Independent International Commission of Inquiry on Syria, Paulo Sergio Pinheiro said.
Speaking at the 35th Session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva, Pinheiro said that more than 600,000 people remained trapped in besieged areas across Syria.
"The prolonged and deliberate denial of humanitarian aid continues to cause severe shortages of food and basic necessities," he said.
The chairman also added that the de-escalation zones agreed by guarantors Russia, Iran and Turkey during the fourth round of the Astana talks on May 4 had resulted in a "discernible reduction in levels of violence in the zones around Idlib and western Aleppo".
Following the Council's session on Syria, Commissioner Karen Koning AbuZayd told reporters that the Raqqah airstrikes had left about 300 civilians dead, with 200 of them having been killed in the village of al-Mansoura.
Last Friday, the U.S.-backed SDF, which contains numerous elements linked to the terrorist PKK/PYD group, called on Daesh militants in Raqqah to surrender by the end of June.
Since then, air and artillery attacks on the city -- by the U.S.-led coalition and the SDF respectively -- have intensified, resulting in scores of civilian casualties.
Related news releases
- 25.06.2017Donald Trump congratulates Muslims on Eid al-Fitr holiday marking end of Ramadan
- 25.06.2017Colombian police arrest 8 suspects in connection with Bogota shopping mall blast
- 25.06.2017One dead, one injured in California shooting
- 25.06.2017Clashes between rival criminal gangs in Mexico leaves seven people dead
- 25.06.2017US issues arrest warrants for five former VW Managers in Emissions fraud scandal
- 24.06.2017Plane crashes into empty Florida daycare building; 1 killed
- 24.06.20175.7-magnitude quake hits off Coracora, Peru
- 24.06.2017Four Venezuelan parliament workers hurt in Caracas clashes
- 23.06.2017Trump nominates Robert Wood Johnson as ambassador to UK
- 23.06.2017Canadian leader says Muslims must fight terrorism
- 22.06.2017Trump has no recordings of talks with FBI ex-director Comey
- 22.06.2017Trump says 'we have a great relationship with China' after critical tweet
- 21.06.2017US crude falls to lowest level in 10 months
- 21.06.2017US F-16 catches fire during takeoff in Texas
- 21.06.2017U.S. Attorney General Sessions hires private attorney
- 21.06.2017UN praises Turkey's hospitality towards refugees
- 21.06.2017Canada: Anti-terror law beefs up cyber threat powers
- 21.06.2017U.S. shoots down drone close to Iraqi-Syrian border
- 21.06.2017U.S. imposes new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- 21.06.2017New Mexico Lab Shutdown Endangers US Nuclear Arsenal
- 20.06.2017U.S. State Department 'mystified' by Gulf states on Qatar
- 20.06.2017Argentina police seize cache of hidden Nazi artifacts
- 20.06.2017Four Mexican federal police killed in ambush in Guerrero
- 20.06.2017Otto Warmbier, US student released from North Korea has died
- 19.06.2017Cuba calls Trump speech on island 'grotesque spectacle'
- 18.06.2017Several sailors' bodies found on stricken Navy destroyer
- 18.06.2017Explosion in Bogota shopping center kills at least three, wounds nine
- 18.06.2017U.S. welcomes Syria cease-fire, urges opposition to halt attacks
- 17.06.2017U.N. chief set to name new Libya envoy after rare contentious search
- 17.06.2017Seven U.S. soldiers wounded in insider attack at Afghan base
- 17.06.2017Trump commends Trudeau for boosting Canada’s military spending
- 16.06.2017Trump orders clampdown on Cuba travel and trade, curbing Obama detente
- 16.06.2017UN unable to confirm death of Daesh leader Baghdadi
- 16.06.2017US sending almost 4,000 extra forces to Afghanistan
- 16.06.2017U.S. Vice President hires counsel to deal with Russia probe inquiries
- 16.06.2017Senate passes new sanctions on Iran, Russia
- 16.06.2017White House committed to anti-Russian sanctions - spokesperson
- 15.06.2017Turkish president's security officers charged with assault in Washington
- 14.06.2017At least two killed in San Francisco UPS facility shooting - UPDATED
- 14.06.2017US lawmakers file anti-Trump lawsuit for alleged abuse of constitution
- 15.06.2017US agreed to sell F-15 jets to Qatar
- 15.06.2017Trump visits lawmaker recovering from shooting at baseball practice in Virginia
- 15.06.20179 people injured after SUV jumps curb in Midtown Manhattan
- 15.06.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves Russia sanctions
- 14.06.2017US congressman Steve Scalise in critical condition after shooting attack
- 14.06.2017US-led coalition using banned arms in Syria, Iraq: HRW