UN slams civilian losses in US-led Raqqah airstrikes
At least 300 civilians have been killed, and 160,000 displaced amid the intensified airstrikes by the U.S.-led anti-Daesh coalition against Syria's northern city of Raqqah, a UN commission said Wednesday, APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
"We note in particular that the intensification of airstrikes, which have paved the ground for an SDF - Syrian Democratic Forces - advance in Raqqah, has resulted not only in staggering loss of civilian life, but has also led to 160,000 civilians fleeing their homes and becoming internally displaced," chairman of the UN's Independent International Commission of Inquiry on Syria, Paulo Sergio Pinheiro said.
Speaking at the 35th Session of the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva, Pinheiro said that more than 600,000 people remained trapped in besieged areas across Syria.
"The prolonged and deliberate denial of humanitarian aid continues to cause severe shortages of food and basic necessities," he said.
The chairman also added that the de-escalation zones agreed by guarantors Russia, Iran and Turkey during the fourth round of the Astana talks on May 4 had resulted in a "discernible reduction in levels of violence in the zones around Idlib and western Aleppo".
Following the Council's session on Syria, Commissioner Karen Koning AbuZayd told reporters that the Raqqah airstrikes had left about 300 civilians dead, with 200 of them having been killed in the village of al-Mansoura.
Last Friday, the U.S.-backed SDF, which contains numerous elements linked to the terrorist PKK/PYD group, called on Daesh militants in Raqqah to surrender by the end of June.
Since then, air and artillery attacks on the city -- by the U.S.-led coalition and the SDF respectively -- have intensified, resulting in scores of civilian casualties.
Related news releases
- 22.05.2018Trump says summit with Kim may be delayed
- 22.05.2018Cuba plane crash death toll rises to 111
- 21.05.2018U.S. toughens stance on Iran, lists sweeping demands
- 20.05.201822 injured after flash fire at plant near Pasadena
- 20.05.2018110 Confirmed Dead in Cuba Boeing 737 Plane Crash
- 19.05.2018Crashed Cuban plane's passengers included five foreigners plus crew: state media
- 19.05.2018U.S. sanctions No. 2 official in Venezuela's Socialist party
- 19.05.2018More than 100 killed in passenger plane crash in Cuba - UPDATED-1
- 18.05.2018In speech, Pompeo to call for 'broad support' against Iran
- 18.05.2018Senate approves Gina Haspel as next CIA director
- 18.05.2018PayPal in talks to buy Sweden's iZettle in $2.2 billion deal: WSJ
- 18.05.2018'Loner' student shoots and kills 10 at Texas school - UPDATED
- 18.05.2018US says ready to defend as Russia deploys in Mediterranean
- 17.05.2018China becomes spoiled on trade, trade deal unlikely to happen - Trump - UPDATED
- 17.05.2018Scope of drills unchanged amid preparations to Summit with Kim - Pentagon
- 17.05.2018Canada's Trudeau says feeling positive about NAFTA talks
- 17.05.2018Explosive eruption occurs at Hawaii's Kilauea volcano
- 17.05.2018Key senators: 'no doubt' Russia sought to interfere in U.S. election
- 17.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Arkansas
- 17.05.2018U.S. sanctions Hezbollah leader Nasrallah, deputy Qassem
- 17.05.2018UN 'collapsed' in face of Gaza killings: Turkish leader
- 16.05.2018Trump says 'We'll see' on North Korea summit, to insist on denuclearization
- 16.05.2018Trump tweets: China has 'much to give' in trade negotiations
- 16.05.2018Ash cloud from Hawaii volcano sparks aviation red alert
- 16.05.2018Mexico central bank to create cyber security unit after hack
- 15.05.2018US sanctions head of Iran's central bank
- 15.05.2018Facebook suspends 200 apps over mishandled user data
- 15.05.2018North, South Korea to hold high-level inter-Korea talks on May 16
- 15.05.2018US First Lady Undergoes Kidney Surgery at Military Hospital
- 15.05.2018U.S. blames Hamas for deadly Gaza violence
- 13.05.2018Trump welcomes North Korea's decision to dismantle nuclear test site
- 12.05.2018US condemns Iranian 'destabilizing influence' in region
- 11.05.2018Trump seeks 'very meaningful' summit in Singapore with North Korea
- 11.05.2018White House Reveals Reasons Singapore Chosen for Kim-Trump Summit
- 11.05.2018SpaceX postpones first commercial launch of updated Falcon 9 rocket
- 10.05.2018US Imposes New Sanctions on Iran
- 10.05.2018Trump-Kim Jong-un summit set for Singapore on 12 June
- 10.05.2018US to address shortcomings in Iran deal: Mattis
- 10.05.2018Americans freed by North Korea before Trump-Kim summit head home
- 10.05.2018Trump says U.S.-North Korea summit will not be at demilitarized zone
- 01.10.2010Protesting police, soldiers seize Ecuador airport
- 01.10.2010Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter leaves hospital
- 01.10.2010US envoy plans more talks with Abbas, Netanyahu
- 30.09.2010Obama faces pressure over Iran policy
- 30.09.2010Jimmy Carter to remain hospitalized another night
- 30.09.2010Drill passes halfway point in Chile mine rescue bid