UN Security Council condemns North Korea missile test
The UN Security Council has strongly condemned a missile launch by North Korea on Sunday, amid rising tensions between the reclusive island state and the U.S, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Council members on Thursday "expressed their utmost concern" over the North's "highly destabilising behavior and flagrant and provocative defiance of the Security Council", a statement said.
The U.S. has recently ramped up rhetoric against North Korea, declaring the end of its "strategic patience" over its provocations.
"The United States of America will always seek peace but under President (Donald) Trump, the shield stands guard and the sword stands ready," Vice President Mike Pence on Wednesday told sailors aboard a U.S. carrier in Tokyo Bay, as part of his Asia tour.
Pence promised an "overwhelming and effective American response" to any use of conventional or nuclear weapons.
In an escalating war of rhetoric, North Korea on Thursday threatened a "super-mighty" pre-emptive strike against the U.S.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017Oil up 2 percent despite U.S. crude build
- 20.09.2017Death toll from Mexico earthquake hits 226- UPDATED-2
- 20.09.2017Russia calls on US to engage in dialogue with North Korea — Lavrov
- 20.09.2017Lavrov, Abbas discuss efforts to restore Palestinian unity
- 19.09.2017Mexico city International airport suspends operations after strong earthquake
- 19.09.20177.1 magnitude earthquake hits Mexico city
- 19.09.2017Trump says if threatened, U.S. will 'totally destroy' North Korea
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of General Debate of 72nd Session of UN General Assembly in New York
- 19.09.2017Hurricane Maria betters Dominica, heads to Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017Trump calls out ‘radical Islamic terrorism’ by name at UN
- 19.09.2017US to pay 'high cost' if it leaves Iran deal: Rouhani
- 19.09.2017Powerful Hurricane Maria targets Caribbean, Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves defense spending bill
- 19.09.2017Xi and Trump discuss sanctions pressure on North Korea: White House
- 18.09.2017France defends Iran nuclear deal, Trump to decide soon
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Political Declaration for UN Reform High Level Event in New York
- 18.09.2017128 Nations Sign US Declaration on Reform of United Nations
- 18.09.2017UN stunted by 'bureaucracy and mismanagement': Trump
- 17.09.2017US denies U-turn on climate deal
- 17.09.2017UN Security Council to hold ministerial meeting on non-proliferation next week
- 17.09.2017Jets strike U.S.-backed forces in eastern Syria
- 17.09.2017St Louis police killing: 30 arrests after acquittal protests
- 16.09.2017Venezuela's Maduro upbeat on talks, opposition fear 'show'
- 16.09.2017Police arrest man at Dover port, search house in London bomb manhunt
- 16.09.2017US Hurricanes Expose Vulnerabilities of Bank Infrastructure
- 16.09.2017World’s oldest person dies
- 16.09.2017UN Security Council condemns DPRK over missile launch, stresses political solution
- 16.09.2017State Department describes plans for cuts, offers few specifics: sources
- 16.09.2017North Korea's nuke program won't end until 'equilibrium of real force' achieved
- 16.09.2017NASA ends Cassini’s mission orbiting Saturn
- 16.09.2017After new missile test, U.S. says North Korea threatens whole world
- 16.09.2017Brazil president faces racketeering, obstruction of justice charges
- 15.09.2017Trump signs resolution condemning white supremacists
- 15.09.2017UN chief condemns North Korea’s latest missile test
- 15.09.2017Trump says internet must be ‘cut off’ to stop further terror attacks
- 15.09.2017UN Security Council to meet amid North Korea’s missile launch
- 15.09.20171 soldier killed, 7 wounded at U.S. military base
- 15.09.2017Hurricane Max downgraded to tropical storm, moves inland over Mexico
- 15.09.2017Trump repeats equivocal Charlottesville rhetoric after meeting with black senator
- 15.09.2017American fighting for ISIL captured in Syria
- 21.04.2017Latin America nations condemn Venezuela violence
- 21.04.2017Police say 2 dead, 3 hurt in Vancouver Island rail crash
- 21.04.2017Trump holds secret talks with Colombia’s former leaders
- 20.04.2017US secretary of defense arrives in Israel for talks
- 20.04.2017Venezuelan opposition protests again against Maduro
- 20.04.2017Bill O'Reilly out at Fox News amid sexual misconduct allegations