UN Security Council condemns North Korea missile test
The UN Security Council has strongly condemned a missile launch by North Korea on Sunday, amid rising tensions between the reclusive island state and the U.S, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Council members on Thursday "expressed their utmost concern" over the North's "highly destabilising behavior and flagrant and provocative defiance of the Security Council", a statement said.
The U.S. has recently ramped up rhetoric against North Korea, declaring the end of its "strategic patience" over its provocations.
"The United States of America will always seek peace but under President (Donald) Trump, the shield stands guard and the sword stands ready," Vice President Mike Pence on Wednesday told sailors aboard a U.S. carrier in Tokyo Bay, as part of his Asia tour.
Pence promised an "overwhelming and effective American response" to any use of conventional or nuclear weapons.
In an escalating war of rhetoric, North Korea on Thursday threatened a "super-mighty" pre-emptive strike against the U.S.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2017Several states on alert after dangerous nuclear material stolen in Mexico
- 25.04.2017U.S. Senate panel approves Trump's USTR nominee
- 25.04.2017Death toll in Venezuela's unrest rises to 26
- 25.04.2017Antarctic ice melting much faster than previously believed
- 25.04.2017Venezuela death toll rises as unrest enters fourth week
- 25.04.2017Chile rocked by 6.9-magnitude quake
- 25.04.2017Poll: Trump approval rating stands at 51 percent, despite surveys to contrary
- 25.04.2017Trump administration calls on North Korea to free jailed US citizen
- 25.04.2017Tillerson, UN to discuss possible new sanctions against N Korea - State Dept.
- 24.04.2017White House explains goal of new us 'largest ever' sanctions against Syria
- 24.04.2017Trump not labeled 1915 events 'genocide'
- 23.04.2017Mexican police shoot dead two drug cartel leaders
- 23.04.2017At Least 1 Killed, 2 Injured in San Jose Shooting
- 23.04.2017Acting head of prison in Guatemala shot dead
- 23.04.2017Mexico kills Gulf cartel boss in Reynosa shootout
- 23.04.2017Powerful floods in Ecuador kill dozens of people
- 22.04.2017Venezuelan opposition begins rally in country's capital
- 22.04.2017Trump certain china to help deal with North Korean threat
- 22.04.2017Pence says United States will honor refugee deal with Australia
- 22.04.2017U.S. defense secretary says Syria dispersed warplanes, retains chemical weapons
- 22.04.2017Trump, UNSC members to meet at White House
- 22.04.2017Man shot dead in Venezuelan capital amid anti-government protests
- 21.04.2017Soul singer Cuba Gooding Sr. dies
- 20.04.2017Venezuelan protests against government leave two students dead
- 20.04.201714 dead in Colombia landslides
- 19.04.2017Former U.S. President George H.W. Bush hospitalized in Houston
- 19.04.2017Trump directs National Security Council to review Iran nuclear deal
- 19.04.2017Three people killed in Fresno shooting spree
- 18.04.2017Kelly: Terror threat to US worse than before 9/11 attacks
- 18.04.2017Cleveland murder suspect Steve Stephens kills himself after pursuit
- 18.04.2017Pence says US will work with Japan, allies to resolve against North Korea
- 18.04.2017Pence warns North Korea of U.S. resolve shown in Syria, Afghan strikes
- 17.04.2017US, South Korea, Japan to convene trilateral talks on North Korean threat
- 16.04.2017Fugitive ex-governor of Mexican state of Veracruz detained
- 16.04.201713 people arrested in California at rally over Trump's undisclosed tax returns
- 16.04.20176.2-magnitude quake jolts N. Chile, no reports of damage
- 15.04.2017US vice president to begin Asia tour amid Korea tension
- 15.04.2017U.S. 'Mother of all bombs' owes origins to specialized anti-Nazi weapons
- 14.04.2017Nearly 1,700 people evacuated in Uruguay amid floods
- 14.04.20171 killed, 3 wounded in Atlanta metro shooting
- 21.04.2017Latin America nations condemn Venezuela violence
- 21.04.2017Police say 2 dead, 3 hurt in Vancouver Island rail crash
- 21.04.2017Trump holds secret talks with Colombia’s former leaders
- 20.04.2017US secretary of defense arrives in Israel for talks
- 20.04.2017Venezuelan opposition protests again against Maduro
- 20.04.2017Bill O'Reilly out at Fox News amid sexual misconduct allegations