UN Security Council condemns North Korea missile test
The UN Security Council has strongly condemned a missile launch by North Korea on Sunday, amid rising tensions between the reclusive island state and the U.S, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Council members on Thursday "expressed their utmost concern" over the North's "highly destabilising behavior and flagrant and provocative defiance of the Security Council", a statement said.
The U.S. has recently ramped up rhetoric against North Korea, declaring the end of its "strategic patience" over its provocations.
"The United States of America will always seek peace but under President (Donald) Trump, the shield stands guard and the sword stands ready," Vice President Mike Pence on Wednesday told sailors aboard a U.S. carrier in Tokyo Bay, as part of his Asia tour.
Pence promised an "overwhelming and effective American response" to any use of conventional or nuclear weapons.
In an escalating war of rhetoric, North Korea on Thursday threatened a "super-mighty" pre-emptive strike against the U.S.
Related news releases
- 28.05.2017Canada opposition picks young social conservative to take on Trudeau
- 28.05.2017US: Two killed trying to stop Islamophobic abuse
- 27.05.2017Trump isolated at G7 talks over climate
- 27.05.2017Comey acted on Russian intelligence he knew was fake
- 27.05.2017Prime Minister of Canada issues statement on Ramadan
- 27.05.2017Former Jimmy Carter adviser Zbigniew Brzezinski dies at 90
- 27.05.2017Tillerson declines to host Ramadan event at State Department
- 27.05.2017As North Korea claims missile progress, Pentagon plans ICBM interceptor test
- 26.05.2017White House: Trump has no plans to ease anti-Russia sanctions, may impose more
- 26.05.2017Harvard dropout Facebook CEO gets degree after 13 years
- 26.05.2017Wall Street closes at record; crude falls 5 percent
- 25.05.2017US Fed to ‘soon’ raise interest rates
- 25.05.2017Wall Street closes higher after Fed minutes
- 25.05.2017US Senator to introduce new Russia sanctions Thursday – Spokesman
- 25.05.2017Thousands protest against Temer, reforms in Brasilia
- 25.05.2017Trump praises Duterte for anti-drug campaign in call transcript
- 24.05.2017Trump tells Netanyahu, Abbas to compromise to make peace - Tillerson
- 24.05.2017Venezuela to push ahead with assembly in July despite unrest
- 23.05.2017White House: Trump, Netanyahu pledge to work together to combat terrorism
- 23.05.2017UK police name Manchester attacker as 22-year-old Salman Abedi
- 23.05.2017Wall Street closes higher with rise in oil prices
- 21.05.2017At least 46 wounded in Saturday anti-government protests in Venezuela
- 21.05.2017Congressman threatened with lynching after calling for Trump’s impeachment
- 21.05.20178 injured in plane-truck collision at LA airport
- 21.05.2017U.S. calls on Iran to halt support for 'destabilizing forces'
- 21.05.2017Brazil president lambastes bribe testimony by JBS executives
- 20.05.2017Tillerson unaware of White House 'person of interest' in Russia probe
- 20.05.2017US hopes re-elected Iranian President Rouhani to stop missile program
- 20.05.2017Approval of President Trump drops to lowest since inauguration
- 20.05.2017‘Trust’ Us: Tillerson urges North Korea to back off nuke program
- 20.05.2017U.N. sees 'incremental progress' after Syria talks
- 20.05.2017White House adviser is person of interest in Russia probe: report
- 19.05.2017Mattis: Militia hit by US strike in Syria Iran-directed offensive force
- 19.05.2017US imposes sanctions on Venezuela Supreme Court
- 19.05.2017US sends second aircraft carrier to Korea after DPRK’s missile test
- 19.05.2017Democrats predict a Trump sellout on NAFTA
- 19.05.2017Fox News founder dies at 77
- 19.05.2017U.S. executives tell Congress they want permanent tax reform
- 19.05.2017Trump: "I never asked Comey to close Flynn probe"
- 18.05.2017Trump calls special counsel Russia probe 'greatest witch hunt' in U.S. history
- 21.04.2017Latin America nations condemn Venezuela violence
- 21.04.2017Police say 2 dead, 3 hurt in Vancouver Island rail crash
- 21.04.2017Trump holds secret talks with Colombia’s former leaders
- 20.04.2017US secretary of defense arrives in Israel for talks
- 20.04.2017Venezuelan opposition protests again against Maduro
- 20.04.2017Bill O'Reilly out at Fox News amid sexual misconduct allegations