UN Security Council condemns North Korea launches
The UN Security Council on Tuesday "strongly condemned" ballistic missile launches by North Korea, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
In a longer-than-usual statement, the Council said its members "deplore" the North's ballistic missile activities which "increase tension in the region and beyond as well as the risk of a regional arms race".
It urged members to sanction North Korea as per UN resolutions, and encouraged them to report the actions they have taken to that effect.
Defying the international community, the reclusive island nation test-fired four missiles on March 5, three of which landed in waters belonging to Japan's exclusive economic zone.
The measure prompted the U.S. -- a close ally of South Korea and Japan -- to begin the deployment of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD).
The controversial anti-missile system, intended to destroy short and medium-range missiles as they approach their target, has been a source of tension between China and the U.S.
North Korea's launches mark the second missile challenge from the country since U.S. President Donald Trump was sworn in. The North tested an intermediate-range ballistic missile on Feb. 12.
In phone calls on Monday with leaders of Japan and South Korea, Trump reiterated the U.S.' "ironclad commitment", according to the White House.
North Korea faced severe sanctions from the UN Security Council for a series of launches last year, in addition to two nuclear tests.
Related news releases
- 29.04.2017Tillerson eyes cutting 2,300 jobs at State Department
- 29.04.2017Brazil protesters, police clash in first general strike in decades
- 29.04.2017Trump signs order to expand offshore oil, gas drilling
- 28.04.2017US allows transactions with Belarusian companies blocked by 2006 order
- 28.04.2017U.S. says time to act on North Korea, China says not up to Beijing alone
- 28.04.2017US suspects Daesh emir killed in Afghanistan raid that targeted terrorist HQ
- 28.04.2017Tillerson: North Korea may inflict strike on US
- 28.04.2017Rex Tillerson: "US doesn't seek regime change in North Korea"
- 28.04.2017Trump warns ‘major conflict with North Korea’ may be on horizon
- 27.04.2017EU parliament adopts resolution decrying crackdown on protesters in Venezuela
- 27.04.2017Trump says U.S. will renegotiate trade pact with Canada, Mexico
- 27.04.2017NATO chief meets with EU defense ministers on security talks
- 27.04.2017US Sea Hawk helicopter crashes into Pacific Ocean off Guam coast
- 27.04.2017Venezuela death toll hits 29, protesters battle security forces
- 27.04.2017Trump grants Pentagon chief power to decide troop limits in anti-Daesh fight
- 27.04.2017Trump agrees to keep US in NAFTA
- 27.04.2017U.S., European military chiefs call for better data-sharing against terrorism
- 27.04.2017Commander says U.S. may need stronger defense against North Korea missiles
- 26.04.2017Silence of the Lambs director Jonathan Demme dies at 73
- 26.04.2017Pentagon orders 140,000 aircraft cargo nets for United Arab Emirates
- 26.04.2017Pilot killed in small plane crash in U.S state of Texas
- 26.04.2017Several states on alert after dangerous nuclear material stolen in Mexico
- 25.04.2017U.S. Senate panel approves Trump's USTR nominee
- 25.04.2017Death toll in Venezuela's unrest rises to 26
- 25.04.2017Antarctic ice melting much faster than previously believed
- 25.04.2017Venezuela death toll rises as unrest enters fourth week
- 25.04.2017Chile rocked by 6.9-magnitude quake
- 25.04.2017Poll: Trump approval rating stands at 51 percent, despite surveys to contrary
- 25.04.2017Trump administration calls on North Korea to free jailed US citizen
- 25.04.2017Tillerson, UN to discuss possible new sanctions against N Korea - State Dept.
- 24.04.2017White House explains goal of new us 'largest ever' sanctions against Syria
- 24.04.2017Trump not labeled 1915 events 'genocide'
- 23.04.2017Mexican police shoot dead two drug cartel leaders
- 23.04.2017At Least 1 Killed, 2 Injured in San Jose Shooting
- 23.04.2017Acting head of prison in Guatemala shot dead
- 23.04.2017Mexico kills Gulf cartel boss in Reynosa shootout
- 23.04.2017Powerful floods in Ecuador kill dozens of people
- 22.04.2017Venezuelan opposition begins rally in country's capital
- 22.04.2017Trump certain china to help deal with North Korean threat
- 22.04.2017Pence says United States will honor refugee deal with Australia
- 09.03.2017WikiLeaks will share CIA hacking tools with tech companies: Assange
- 10.03.2017Senate committee approves Trump intelligence nominee Coats
- 10.03.2017US brigade combat team test new shadow drones in Germany
- 08.03.2017OPEC begins dialogue with US shale oil
- 08.03.2017Train collides with charter bus in Mississippi, at least 3 killed
- 07.03.2017Trump says he is working on plan to bring down drug prices