UN Security Council condemns North Korea launches
The UN Security Council on Tuesday "strongly condemned" ballistic missile launches by North Korea, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
In a longer-than-usual statement, the Council said its members "deplore" the North's ballistic missile activities which "increase tension in the region and beyond as well as the risk of a regional arms race".
It urged members to sanction North Korea as per UN resolutions, and encouraged them to report the actions they have taken to that effect.
Defying the international community, the reclusive island nation test-fired four missiles on March 5, three of which landed in waters belonging to Japan's exclusive economic zone.
The measure prompted the U.S. -- a close ally of South Korea and Japan -- to begin the deployment of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD).
The controversial anti-missile system, intended to destroy short and medium-range missiles as they approach their target, has been a source of tension between China and the U.S.
North Korea's launches mark the second missile challenge from the country since U.S. President Donald Trump was sworn in. The North tested an intermediate-range ballistic missile on Feb. 12.
In phone calls on Monday with leaders of Japan and South Korea, Trump reiterated the U.S.' "ironclad commitment", according to the White House.
North Korea faced severe sanctions from the UN Security Council for a series of launches last year, in addition to two nuclear tests.
Related news releases
- 27.06.2017U.S. says it will work with travel industry to implement travel ban
- 27.06.2017Trump says Obama 'colluded' on Russia, without giving evidence
- 26.06.2017In victory for Trump, Supreme Court revives Trump travel ban
- 26.06.2017Supreme Court partially reinstates Donald Trump's travel ban
- 25.06.2017Donald Trump congratulates Muslims on Eid al-Fitr holiday marking end of Ramadan
- 25.06.2017Colombian police arrest 8 suspects in connection with Bogota shopping mall blast
- 25.06.2017One dead, one injured in California shooting
- 25.06.2017Clashes between rival criminal gangs in Mexico leaves seven people dead
- 25.06.2017US issues arrest warrants for five former VW Managers in Emissions fraud scandal
- 24.06.2017Plane crashes into empty Florida daycare building; 1 killed
- 24.06.20175.7-magnitude quake hits off Coracora, Peru
- 24.06.2017Four Venezuelan parliament workers hurt in Caracas clashes
- 23.06.2017Trump nominates Robert Wood Johnson as ambassador to UK
- 23.06.2017Canadian leader says Muslims must fight terrorism
- 22.06.2017Trump has no recordings of talks with FBI ex-director Comey
- 22.06.2017Trump says 'we have a great relationship with China' after critical tweet
- 21.06.2017US crude falls to lowest level in 10 months
- 21.06.2017US F-16 catches fire during takeoff in Texas
- 21.06.2017U.S. Attorney General Sessions hires private attorney
- 21.06.2017UN praises Turkey's hospitality towards refugees
- 21.06.2017Canada: Anti-terror law beefs up cyber threat powers
- 21.06.2017U.S. shoots down drone close to Iraqi-Syrian border
- 21.06.2017U.S. imposes new sanctions on Russia over Ukraine
- 21.06.2017New Mexico Lab Shutdown Endangers US Nuclear Arsenal
- 20.06.2017U.S. State Department 'mystified' by Gulf states on Qatar
- 20.06.2017Argentina police seize cache of hidden Nazi artifacts
- 20.06.2017Four Mexican federal police killed in ambush in Guerrero
- 20.06.2017Otto Warmbier, US student released from North Korea has died
- 19.06.2017Cuba calls Trump speech on island 'grotesque spectacle'
- 18.06.2017Several sailors' bodies found on stricken Navy destroyer
- 18.06.2017Explosion in Bogota shopping center kills at least three, wounds nine
- 18.06.2017U.S. welcomes Syria cease-fire, urges opposition to halt attacks
- 17.06.2017U.N. chief set to name new Libya envoy after rare contentious search
- 17.06.2017Seven U.S. soldiers wounded in insider attack at Afghan base
- 17.06.2017Trump commends Trudeau for boosting Canada’s military spending
- 16.06.2017Trump orders clampdown on Cuba travel and trade, curbing Obama detente
- 16.06.2017UN unable to confirm death of Daesh leader Baghdadi
- 16.06.2017US sending almost 4,000 extra forces to Afghanistan
- 16.06.2017U.S. Vice President hires counsel to deal with Russia probe inquiries
- 16.06.2017Senate passes new sanctions on Iran, Russia
- 09.03.2017WikiLeaks will share CIA hacking tools with tech companies: Assange
- 10.03.2017Senate committee approves Trump intelligence nominee Coats
- 10.03.2017US brigade combat team test new shadow drones in Germany
- 08.03.2017OPEC begins dialogue with US shale oil
- 08.03.2017Train collides with charter bus in Mississippi, at least 3 killed
- 07.03.2017Trump says he is working on plan to bring down drug prices