UN Security Council condemns North Korea launches
The UN Security Council on Tuesday "strongly condemned" ballistic missile launches by North Korea, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
In a longer-than-usual statement, the Council said its members "deplore" the North's ballistic missile activities which "increase tension in the region and beyond as well as the risk of a regional arms race".
It urged members to sanction North Korea as per UN resolutions, and encouraged them to report the actions they have taken to that effect.
Defying the international community, the reclusive island nation test-fired four missiles on March 5, three of which landed in waters belonging to Japan's exclusive economic zone.
The measure prompted the U.S. -- a close ally of South Korea and Japan -- to begin the deployment of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD).
The controversial anti-missile system, intended to destroy short and medium-range missiles as they approach their target, has been a source of tension between China and the U.S.
North Korea's launches mark the second missile challenge from the country since U.S. President Donald Trump was sworn in. The North tested an intermediate-range ballistic missile on Feb. 12.
In phone calls on Monday with leaders of Japan and South Korea, Trump reiterated the U.S.' "ironclad commitment", according to the White House.
North Korea faced severe sanctions from the UN Security Council for a series of launches last year, in addition to two nuclear tests.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018Trump denies U.S. embassy to be moved to Jerusalem within a year
- 18.01.2018Trump accuses Russia of helping North Korea evade sanctions; says U.S. needs more missile defense
- 18.01.2018At least 5 dead as winter storm wracks southern US
- 18.01.2018US will consider Turkey’s concerns about PKK: Tillerson
- 18.01.2018U.S. signals open-ended presence in Syria
- 17.01.2018Venezuela helicopter pilot Oscar Pérez killed in raid
- 17.01.2018U.S.-led meeting urges North Korea pressure despite North-South detente
- 17.01.2018Internal solution to Syria would be better: UN chief
- 17.01.2018US withholds $65M aid to Palestine: State Dept
- 17.01.2018Trump administration to appeal 'Dreamer' immigrant ruling
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 13.01.2018Reluctant Trump grants sanctions relief to Iran one last time
- 12.01.2018Trump uses vulgarity in describing Haiti, African nations
- 12.01.2018Zuckerberg announces new changes to Facebook
- 12.01.2018Trump says he has a "very good relationship" with Kim Jong Un
- 12.01.2018Key Fed official slams U.S. tax cuts for imperiling economy
- 12.01.2018US Treasury to impose new sanctions on Iran
- 11.01.2018Trump to attend Davos economic forum: White House
- 11.01.2018State Dep't: US to fight Iran's presence in Syria with aggressive sanctions
- 11.01.2018Trump says US could stay in Paris climate accord
- 11.01.2018Death toll rises to 17 in California mudslides
- 11.01.2018US: Pence to head delegation to South Korea Olympics
- 11.01.2018U.S. concerned by Iran crackdown, 'will not remain silent': White House
- 10.01.2018Trump says U.S. open to talks with North Korea: White House
- 10.01.2018Magnitude 7.6 earthquake strikes off Central America
- 10.01.2018Death toll reaches 13 killed in Southern California deluge - UPDATED - VİDEO - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Trump signals he could endorse immigration deal
- 10.01.2018Jeff Bezos is the richest person in the world
- 09.01.2018At least 5 dead as rain, mud roil California in US
- 09.03.2017WikiLeaks will share CIA hacking tools with tech companies: Assange
- 10.03.2017Senate committee approves Trump intelligence nominee Coats
- 10.03.2017US brigade combat team test new shadow drones in Germany
- 08.03.2017OPEC begins dialogue with US shale oil
- 08.03.2017Train collides with charter bus in Mississippi, at least 3 killed
- 07.03.2017Trump says he is working on plan to bring down drug prices