UN approves resolution to verify Colombia cease-fire
The UN Security Council on Thursday unanimously approved a resolution to expand the organization´s security mission in Colombia that will help verify a bilateral cease-fire between the government and the Marxist ELN guerrillas, APA reports.
The UN will increase its number of observers to the Second Verification Mission in Colombia that will continue oversight of a peace agreement with the Revolutionary Armed Forced of Colombia (FARC) rebel group and a cease-fire with the ELN. No more than 70 observers can be added to the 120 existing,
“We have to make sure that the mission will have adequate funds to verify the cease-fire with the ELN without hindering its remaining tasks,” according to the Swedish representative to the Security Council Olof Skoog.
Security Council members congratulated Colombia for agreeing to peace talks with the ELN and affirmed the UN´s support for the ongoing peace processes with the former FARC guerrillas as well as the ELN.
“It’s important to have a work plan so the mission can achieve its goal. We hope that the mission will respect the Colombian government´s sovereignty and strengthen its communication with it”, said Wu Haitao, China’s envoy to the UN.
A number of countries on the Security Council recognize the bilateral cease-fire with the government and ELN is only a first step.
“We know that this is just the beginning and we understand the difficulties that the parts had to face just to get there,” said British envoy Matthew Ryccoft. “It’s vital to take this opportunity now for we don´t know if this could ever happen again,” he added.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018Mexican president's visit to White House postponed after testy Trump call
- 25.02.2018Maduro to Officially Register as Candidate for April's Election on Tuesday
- 25.02.2018Colombia extradites major drug suspect to US
- 25.02.2018UN chief welcomes Security Council resolution on Syria truce
- 25.02.2018U.N. Security Council demands truce as air strikes batter Syria's Ghouta
- 24.02.2018Trump tax cut fuels record profit for Buffett's Berkshire
- 24.02.2018Trump urges Mexico to block illegal immigrants from El Salvador
- 24.02.2018UNSC postpones vote on ceasefire proposal in Syria
- 24.02.2018NASA finds water could be widespread on moon
- 24.02.2018White House on lockdown after vehicle hits security barrier
- 24.02.2018Trump: If North Korea sanctions don't work, we go to 'Phase 2'
- 24.02.2018Trump campaign aide to plead guilty
- 24.02.2018U.S. ready to open Jerusalem embassy in May: State Department
- 23.02.2018U.S. expects to open Jerusalem embassy in May, officials say
- 23.02.2018U.S. imposes largest package of sanctions against North Korea
- 23.02.2018Trump administration to target North Korea with new sanctions on Friday
- 23.02.2018IAEA reaffirms Iran’s compliance with JCPOA in its new report
- 23.02.2018SpaceX launches internet satellite prototypes
- 23.02.2018Man dies after throwing explosive device at US Embassy in Montenegro
- 23.02.2018Oil prices climb after unexpected drawdown in U.S. crude stocks
- 23.02.2018Russian diplomats tried to export 400 kg of cocaine from Argentina
- 22.02.2018Charity boss resigns from Unicef
- 22.02.2018US: Melania Trump’s parents become US residents
- 22.02.2018U.S. SEC updates guidance on cyber attack disclosure for companies
- 21.02.2018US: students rally in Florida to stop school shootings
- 21.02.2018U.S.-led air strike in Somalia kills three al Shabaab militants: statement
- 21.02.2018US pledges closer cooperation with Turkey
- 21.02.2018Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'
- 21.02.2018Trump phones Mexican president over copter crash
- 20.02.2018Pentagon prepares new ballistic missile defense review
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 06.10.2017Mexico warns U.S. against 'protectionist war,' peso weakens
- 07.10.201722 dead in Central America from Tropical Storm Nate
- 07.10.2017Pentagon says fourth U.S. soldier killed in Niger ambush
- 06.10.2017Iran has not lived up to 'spirit' of nuclear deal: Trump
- 06.10.2017Two NASA astronauts finish 7-hour spacewalk
- 06.10.2017Trump expected to declare Iran noncompliant with nuclear deal