U.S. closer to decision on sanctioning Venezuela oil: Tillerson
The United States is closer to deciding whether to impose sanctions on Venezuelan oil, U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said on Wednesday, at the end of a five-nation tour of Latin America where he discussed the move with regional leaders, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Tillerson said Canada, Mexico and the United States had agreed at a trilateral meeting last week to study what could be done to mitigate the impact of such a move. Tillerson said he had briefed President Donald Trump about the development.
“He said ‘I know you haven’t been in favor of that in the past,’ and I said ‘well, I think things have changed.’ So we’re going to take it to him and let him make the decision,” Tillerson said during a flight to Jamaica, his final stop on the tour.
“We are going to put together a very small, very focused working group to see what we can do to mitigate a decision like that if we do take it. Obviously it will be the president who decides,” said Tillerson, who was chief executive of Exxon Mobil Corp before joining the government.
In Buenos Aires last week, Tillerson said the United States was considering restricting imports of Venezuelan crude oil and exports of U.S. refined products to Venezuela to put pressure on socialist Maduro over his restrictions on political opposition.
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'
- 21.02.2018Trump phones Mexican president over copter crash
- 20.02.2018Pentagon prepares new ballistic missile defense review
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 16.02.2018John Kirby: "Tillerson breaks protocol by meeting Erdogan without translator"
- 16.02.2018Tillerson and Turkey's Erdogan had productive conversation: U.S. spokesman
- 16.02.2018US court says travel ban discriminates against Muslims
- 15.02.2018FBI was warned about Florida gunman
- 15.02.2018Avalanche kills three skiers in France
- 15.02.2018US and Russia dispute over Syria in UN Security Council
- 15.02.2018Any U.S. talks with North Korea would press denuclearization demand: Pence
- 15.02.2018Tillerson wants more cooperation with Turkey on Syria
- 15.02.2018Ex-student kills 17 in shooting spree at Florida high school- UPDATED
- 14.02.2018New US sanctions against Russia to come in near future - US Treasury Secretary
- 14.02.2018Shooting outside NSA campus leaves at least three injured
- 14.02.2018Tillerson stresses need to discuss issue of co-op to reduce threats against Turkey
- 14.02.2018Washington Has No Problem With Turkey's Plan to Rename US Embassy Street
- 14.02.2018State Department: US Ready to Hold Talks With North Korea
- 14.02.2018Several People Injured in Utah Shooting
- 13.02.2018Tillerson: "Turkey's operation in Afrin negatively affected the fight against ISIL"
- 13.02.2018Tillerson visits Egypt's Sisi at start of Mideast tour
- 13.02.2018Trump daughter-in-law hospitalized over suspect letter
- 13.02.2018White House dismisses idea of U.S.-Israel discussing settlement annexation
- 11.02.2018Canadian PM motorcade crashes, police officer and two others injured
- 11.02.2018Ohio police officers were killed while protecting others, chief says
- 10.02.2018FARC suspends political campaigning in Colombia
- 09.02.2018Trump signs deal to end brief government shutdown, increase U.S. spending
- 09.02.2018Qualcomm rejects Broadcom's revised buyout offer, proposes meeting
- 09.02.2018Washington Says Wants to Rebuild 'Complicated' Relations With Russia
- 09.02.2018UN declares new stage in fight against Islamic State
- 07.02.2018Tillerson praises Colombia aid to Venezuelans, anti-drug efforts
- 08.02.2018EU could impose blocking regulations if U.S. pulls out of Iran deal
- 08.02.2018Trump administration supports US senate version of funding legislation
- 08.02.2018Venezuela opposition weighs election run after talks end
- 08.02.2018White House senior aide to resign following abuse charges
- 08.02.2018Cuba grants visa to senior U.S. diplomat to lead Havana embassy
- 08.02.2018U.S. announces arrests in $530 million cyber identity fraud scheme