Two NASA astronauts finish 7-hour spacewalk
Two NASA astronauts completed a nearly seven-hour spacewalk outside the International Space Station (ISS) Thursday to fix a robotic arm, APA reports quoting AA.
Randy Bresnik, commander of the 53rd expedition to ISS, and Flight Engineer Mark Vende Hei finished a 6-hour and 55-minute walk at 2100 GMT.
The pair worked on the station’s main robotic arm, called the Canadarm2. Specifically, they replaced one of two Latching End Effectors (LEE) devices on the arm.
Measuring 18 meters (59 feet) long, the Canadarm2 robot had been part of the ISS for 16 years and is instrumental in docking passing cargo crafts to the station. Beginning in August, the LEE that was repaired by the spacewalkers, began losing its ability to grip effectively.
Thursday’s spacewalk was the first of three, NASA has planned for the month of October, all of which will be led by Bresnik. Vende Hei will take part in a spacewalk on October 10 and Bresnik will be joined by NASA Flight Engineer Joe Acaba on October 18.
"The second and third spacewalks will be devoted to lubricating the newly installed end effector and replacing cameras on the left side of the station's truss and the right side of the station's US Destiny laboratory," NASA said in a statement.
Also on Thursday, Vice President Mike Pence led a meeting of the National Space Council – a group charged with dictating the U.S. space program. At the meeting, he said the White House is directing NASA to bring humans back to the Moon’s surface and the space agency will focus on developing a more permanent presence on the lunar landscape.
“We will return NASA astronauts to the Moon — not only to leave behind footprints and flags, but to build the foundation, we need to send Americans to Mars and beyond,” Pence said to a gathered crowd after the council’s meeting.
Related news releases
- 25.02.2018Mexican president's visit to White House postponed after testy Trump call
- 25.02.2018Maduro to Officially Register as Candidate for April's Election on Tuesday
- 25.02.2018Colombia extradites major drug suspect to US
- 25.02.2018UN chief welcomes Security Council resolution on Syria truce
- 25.02.2018U.N. Security Council demands truce as air strikes batter Syria's Ghouta
- 24.02.2018Trump tax cut fuels record profit for Buffett's Berkshire
- 24.02.2018Trump urges Mexico to block illegal immigrants from El Salvador
- 24.02.2018UNSC postpones vote on ceasefire proposal in Syria
- 24.02.2018NASA finds water could be widespread on moon
- 24.02.2018White House on lockdown after vehicle hits security barrier
- 24.02.2018Trump: If North Korea sanctions don't work, we go to 'Phase 2'
- 24.02.2018Trump campaign aide to plead guilty
- 24.02.2018U.S. ready to open Jerusalem embassy in May: State Department
- 23.02.2018U.S. expects to open Jerusalem embassy in May, officials say
- 23.02.2018U.S. imposes largest package of sanctions against North Korea
- 23.02.2018Trump administration to target North Korea with new sanctions on Friday
- 23.02.2018IAEA reaffirms Iran’s compliance with JCPOA in its new report
- 23.02.2018SpaceX launches internet satellite prototypes
- 23.02.2018Man dies after throwing explosive device at US Embassy in Montenegro
- 23.02.2018Oil prices climb after unexpected drawdown in U.S. crude stocks
- 23.02.2018Russian diplomats tried to export 400 kg of cocaine from Argentina
- 22.02.2018Charity boss resigns from Unicef
- 22.02.2018US: Melania Trump’s parents become US residents
- 22.02.2018U.S. SEC updates guidance on cyber attack disclosure for companies
- 21.02.2018US: students rally in Florida to stop school shootings
- 21.02.2018U.S.-led air strike in Somalia kills three al Shabaab militants: statement
- 21.02.2018US pledges closer cooperation with Turkey
- 21.02.2018Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'
- 21.02.2018Trump phones Mexican president over copter crash
- 20.02.2018Pentagon prepares new ballistic missile defense review
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 06.10.2017Iran has not lived up to 'spirit' of nuclear deal: Trump
- 06.10.2017UN approves resolution to verify Colombia cease-fire
- 06.10.2017Mexico warns U.S. against 'protectionist war,' peso weakens
- 06.10.2017Trump expected to declare Iran noncompliant with nuclear deal
- 05.10.2017Brazilian Olympics chief arrested in bribery probe
- 05.10.2017Las Vegas gunman's girlfriend says she had 'no idea he was planning violence'