Two ex-Trump aides charged in Russia probe, third pleads guilty
Paul Manafort, a former campaign manager for President Donald Trump, was charged on Monday with money laundering and another onetime aide pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI, in a sharp escalation of a federal probe into Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Manafort, 68, a longtime Republican operative, and associate Rick Gates were arraigned at a federal courthouse in Washington.
Both men pleaded not guilty to a series of charges in a 12-count indictment, ranging from money laundering to acting as unregistered agents of Ukraine’s former pro-Russian government.
Neither Trump nor his campaign were mentioned in the indictment against the pair. Many of the charges, some of which go back more than a decade, have to do with Manafort’s work for Ukraine rather than the Trump campaign.
But in a separate development directly related to Trump’s 2016 election campaign, it emerged on Monday that former campaign adviser George Papadopoulos pleaded guilty earlier this month to making false statements to Federal Bureau of Investigation agents.
Investigations by Special Counsel Robert Mueller and several congressional panels into alleged Russian efforts to tilt the election in Trump’s favor and potential collusion by Trump aides have cast a shadow over the Republican president’s first nine months in office.
Manafort ran the Trump campaign from June to August of 2016 before resigning amid reports he might have received millions in illegal payments from a pro-Russian political party in Ukraine.
Related news releases
- 21.11.2017US, Afghan forces launch anti-poppy operation
- 21.11.2017Missing Argentine submarine had reported electrical malfunction
- 20.11.2017US re-designates N Korea state sponsor of terrorism
- 19.11.2017Trump calls 'crooked' Hillary Clinton 'worst and biggest loser of all time'
- 18.11.20179 injured in large fire atop 6-story apartment building in New York
- 18.11.2017Argentine submarine goes missing for two days, major search op underway
- 18.11.2017Canada, Mexico try more flexibility as key NAFTA round opens
- 17.11.2017US official: If Turkey buys Russian systems, they can’t plug into NATO tech
- 17.11.2017Turkish businessman Reza Zarrab escapes knife attack in U.S. prison
- 17.11.2017Canadian senator dies on parliamentary trip in Colombia
- 17.11.2017South Dakota Keystone pipeline shut down after oil spill
- 17.11.2017UN Security Council rejects Russian draft on Syria chemical probe
- 17.11.2017The impeachment of President Donald Trump has officially begun
- 17.11.2017Fed's Williams calls for global rethink of monetary policy
- 17.11.2017US House passes tax reform bill, sends measure to Senate
- 16.11.2017Trump urges U.N. council to renew Syria chemical arms inquiry
- 16.11.2017More worries in Congress over cuts at U.S. State Department
- 16.11.2017US Democrats enter new articles to impeach Trump
- 15.11.2017Planned talks between Venezuelan opposition, government will not take place
- 15.11.2017U.S. security officials arrive in Israel to discuss Syria agreement
- 15.11.2017US FDA approves first 'digital pill'
- 15.11.2017Death toll as a result of a gunman in California fired at school reached - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017De Mistura: Putin, Trump create qualitatively new situation in Syrian settlement
- 14.11.2017At least 3 dead in California school shooting, shooter killed by police
- 14.11.2017Trump vows free and open Indo-Pacific region
- 14.11.2017US Army lifts ban on recruits with mental health history
- 12.11.2017Six people killed in bus-hearse crash in Mexico
- 12.11.2017Geneva talks should be the only platform for Syrian settlement - State Department
- 12.11.2017Mass graves discovered near Hawija in Iraq
- 12.11.2017Venezuela sets high-profile location for Monday debt talks
- 11.11.2017APEC ministers publish joint statement after wrangling over language
- 11.11.2017Oil prices slide after U.S. drillers add rigs
- 10.11.2017Colombia 'committed' to deal with FARC
- 10.11.2017Turkish premier urges US to extradite FETO leader
- 10.11.2017State Dept. denies report top envoys being depleted
- 09.11.2017US imposes sanctions on Venezuela: Senior gov't officials on the list
- 09.11.2017Turkish premier, US vice president meet at White House
- 09.11.2017US lawmakers renew gun control bid after Texas shooting
- 09.11.2017U.N. warns if no Yemen aid access, world will see largest famine in decades
- 09.11.2017Trump to talk trade and North Korea with Chinese leader Xi
- 31.10.2017US expands sanctions on Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps
- 31.10.2017Colombia to bomb FARC dissident groups
- 01.11.2017Truck attack in Manhattan kills 8; mayor calls it act of terror - UPDATED - 2
- 30.10.2017Paul Manafort indicted with 12 counts by Russian investigation for money laundering scheme
- 29.10.2017Trump says will release nearly all JFK assassination files
- 28.10.2017US soldier killed in helicopter ‘crash’ in Afghanistan