Two ex-Trump aides charged in Russia probe, third pleads guilty
Paul Manafort, a former campaign manager for President Donald Trump, was charged on Monday with money laundering and another onetime aide pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI, in a sharp escalation of a federal probe into Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Manafort, 68, a longtime Republican operative, and associate Rick Gates were arraigned at a federal courthouse in Washington.
Both men pleaded not guilty to a series of charges in a 12-count indictment, ranging from money laundering to acting as unregistered agents of Ukraine’s former pro-Russian government.
Neither Trump nor his campaign were mentioned in the indictment against the pair. Many of the charges, some of which go back more than a decade, have to do with Manafort’s work for Ukraine rather than the Trump campaign.
But in a separate development directly related to Trump’s 2016 election campaign, it emerged on Monday that former campaign adviser George Papadopoulos pleaded guilty earlier this month to making false statements to Federal Bureau of Investigation agents.
Investigations by Special Counsel Robert Mueller and several congressional panels into alleged Russian efforts to tilt the election in Trump’s favor and potential collusion by Trump aides have cast a shadow over the Republican president’s first nine months in office.
Manafort ran the Trump campaign from June to August of 2016 before resigning amid reports he might have received millions in illegal payments from a pro-Russian political party in Ukraine.
Related news releases
- 18.07.2018Trump tries to calm political storm over Putin summit, says he misspoke
- 18.07.2018Three teens shot, one critically, in U.S. state of North Carolina
- 17.07.2018Communist-run Cuba starts rolling out internet on mobile phones
- 17.07.2018US judge halts deportations of immigrant families
- 17.07.2018Flying 'lava bomb' injures 13 off coast of Hawaii's big island
- 17.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 17.07.2018Russian Student Arrested in Washington DC, Charged as Foreign Agent
- 16.07.2018Trump says U.S. must find ways to cooperate with Russia
- 16.07.2018Iran sues US for re-imposing sanctions
- 15.07.2018Trump says intends to run for president in 2020
- 15.07.201825 injured after bus overturns on Los Angeles freeway
- 14.07.2018UN General Assembly Reaches global deal on migration
- 14.07.2018UN Security Council imposes arms embargo on South Sudan
- 13.07.2018US indicts 12 Russian spies for 2016 election hacking
- 13.07.2018Department of State: The US strongly supports the Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.07.2018Donald Trump: May presses case for US trade deal at dinner
- 12.07.2018Trump says ready to help some NATO states buy U.S. arms
- 12.07.2018US mulls sanctions on Russia, China for importing Iranian oil
- 11.07.2018US State Department accuses Iran of using Embassies for terror plots
- 11.07.2018US announces additional tariffs on $200 bln in Chinese goods
- 10.07.2018Trump pardons ranchers whose case ignited standoff
- 10.07.2018US secretary of state meets with Abu Dhabi crown prince
- 10.07.2018Trump-Putin meeting to focus on Syria, Ukraine – Pompeo
- 10.07.2018Up to 70 people dead after Quebec heat wave
- 10.07.2018Trump decides on Supreme Court pick, announcement to come
- 10.07.2018Trump scolds NATO members days ahead of summit
- 08.07.2018Anti-gun protesters partly block major Chicago freeway
- 07.07.2018Mexico's next president aims to end foreign fuel imports in three years
- 06.07.2018At least 24 dead in fireworks accident in Mexico
- 06.07.2018Under fire for ethics scandals, EPA chief Pruitt resigns
- 05.07.2018Shooting in Los Angeles, 3 killed
- 05.07.2018Trump names former Fox News president to Communications Team - White House
- 05.07.2018Extreme heat wave in Canada claims at least 19 lives
- 05.07.2018Bolivian President Morales has emergency surgery for tumor
- 05.07.2018U.S. softens North Korea approach as Pompeo prepares for more nuclear talks
- 05.07.2018Trump to OPEC: 'Reduce pricing now!'
- 04.07.2018US: Pompeo, Lavrov discuss Trump-Putin summit in July
- 04.07.2018Two critically injured in elementary school shooting in Kansas
- 03.07.2018Pompeo to make third visit to North Korea
- 03.07.2018US wants to reduce Iran's oil revenue to zero
- 31.10.2017US expands sanctions on Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps
- 31.10.2017Colombia to bomb FARC dissident groups
- 01.11.2017Truck attack in Manhattan kills 8; mayor calls it act of terror - UPDATED - 2
- 30.10.2017Paul Manafort indicted with 12 counts by Russian investigation for money laundering scheme
- 29.10.2017Trump says will release nearly all JFK assassination files
- 28.10.2017US soldier killed in helicopter ‘crash’ in Afghanistan