Turks in Germany mark anniversary of defeated coup
Turks in Germany on Saturday commemorated the first anniversary of the defeated coup in Turkey with a number of events across the country, APA reports quoting AA.
In Berlin, Turkish ambassador Ali Kemal Aydin, hosted an event at the embassy in memory of the victims of the July 15 coup attempt.
He said the Turkish people showed great courage on that night, and won an “epic” victory against the coup plotters.
“They showed the whole world how to defend democracy and freedoms,” he said.
Aydin regretted that German politicians did not show solidarity with the Turkish people against the attempted coup.
“For us it is unacceptable that those terrorists who were involved in this coup attempt or supported it can now find shelter here,” he said.
Turkey believes the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) and its U.S.-based leader, Fetullah Gulen, of orchestrating the defeated coup of July 15, 2016, that left 250 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.
Germany, which hosts a 3 million strong Turkish community, is among the countries where FETO has a large network outside Turket, with dozens of private schools, businesses and media organizations.
Since the coup attempt, nearly 4,000 FETO suspects fled Turkey for Germany and other countries, according to local media.
On Saturday, leading Turkish diaspora orgazitaions held various events in major cities of Cologne, Dusseldorf and Frankfurt to condemn the FETO and commemorate the the victims of the July 15 coup attempt.
In the southern German city of Nuremberg, several hundreds of Turks gathered at a salon meeting for the "Democracy and National Unity Day”.
Hamza Dag, deputy chairman of Turkey’s ruling Justice are Development Party’s (AK Party) was among the guests speakers at the meeting, along with relatives of victims who resisted to the coup attempt.
Related news releases
- 18.01.2018Trump denies U.S. embassy to be moved to Jerusalem within a year
- 18.01.2018Trump accuses Russia of helping North Korea evade sanctions; says U.S. needs more missile defense
- 18.01.2018At least 5 dead as winter storm wracks southern US
- 18.01.2018US will consider Turkey’s concerns about PKK: Tillerson
- 18.01.2018U.S. signals open-ended presence in Syria
- 17.01.2018Venezuela helicopter pilot Oscar Pérez killed in raid
- 17.01.2018U.S.-led meeting urges North Korea pressure despite North-South detente
- 17.01.2018Internal solution to Syria would be better: UN chief
- 17.01.2018US withholds $65M aid to Palestine: State Dept
- 17.01.2018Trump administration to appeal 'Dreamer' immigrant ruling
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 13.01.2018Reluctant Trump grants sanctions relief to Iran one last time
- 12.01.2018Trump uses vulgarity in describing Haiti, African nations
- 12.01.2018Zuckerberg announces new changes to Facebook
- 12.01.2018Trump says he has a "very good relationship" with Kim Jong Un
- 12.01.2018Key Fed official slams U.S. tax cuts for imperiling economy
- 12.01.2018US Treasury to impose new sanctions on Iran
- 11.01.2018Trump to attend Davos economic forum: White House
- 11.01.2018State Dep't: US to fight Iran's presence in Syria with aggressive sanctions
- 11.01.2018Trump says US could stay in Paris climate accord
- 11.01.2018Death toll rises to 17 in California mudslides
- 11.01.2018US: Pence to head delegation to South Korea Olympics
- 11.01.2018U.S. concerned by Iran crackdown, 'will not remain silent': White House
- 10.01.2018Trump says U.S. open to talks with North Korea: White House
- 10.01.2018Magnitude 7.6 earthquake strikes off Central America
- 10.01.2018Death toll reaches 13 killed in Southern California deluge - UPDATED - VİDEO - UPDATED
- 10.01.2018Trump signals he could endorse immigration deal
- 10.01.2018Jeff Bezos is the richest person in the world
- 09.01.2018At least 5 dead as rain, mud roil California in US
- 16.07.2017US Navy commissions new Arleigh Burke-class destroyer at Pearl Harbor base
- 18.07.2017Oil prices ease on signs of steady output from some producers
- 18.07.2017US to maintain dialogue with Israel on halting Iranian ambitions in Syria
- 16.07.2017Cat killer jailed for 16 years in San Jose, California
- 15.07.2017Russian-American lobbyist attended Trump Jr. controversial meeting
- 15.07.2017Oil up 1 percent, posts weekly gain of 5 percent