Turks in Germany mark anniversary of defeated coup
Turks in Germany on Saturday commemorated the first anniversary of the defeated coup in Turkey with a number of events across the country, APA reports quoting AA.
In Berlin, Turkish ambassador Ali Kemal Aydin, hosted an event at the embassy in memory of the victims of the July 15 coup attempt.
He said the Turkish people showed great courage on that night, and won an “epic” victory against the coup plotters.
“They showed the whole world how to defend democracy and freedoms,” he said.
Aydin regretted that German politicians did not show solidarity with the Turkish people against the attempted coup.
“For us it is unacceptable that those terrorists who were involved in this coup attempt or supported it can now find shelter here,” he said.
Turkey believes the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) and its U.S.-based leader, Fetullah Gulen, of orchestrating the defeated coup of July 15, 2016, that left 250 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.
Germany, which hosts a 3 million strong Turkish community, is among the countries where FETO has a large network outside Turket, with dozens of private schools, businesses and media organizations.
Since the coup attempt, nearly 4,000 FETO suspects fled Turkey for Germany and other countries, according to local media.
On Saturday, leading Turkish diaspora orgazitaions held various events in major cities of Cologne, Dusseldorf and Frankfurt to condemn the FETO and commemorate the the victims of the July 15 coup attempt.
In the southern German city of Nuremberg, several hundreds of Turks gathered at a salon meeting for the "Democracy and National Unity Day”.
Hamza Dag, deputy chairman of Turkey’s ruling Justice are Development Party’s (AK Party) was among the guests speakers at the meeting, along with relatives of victims who resisted to the coup attempt.
Related news releases
- 22.09.2017Mexico earthquake: Death toll rises as search for survivors goes on
- 22.09.2017Erdogan, Trump hold talks in New York
- 22.09.2017Storm Maria brings fear, pain and shock to Puerto Ricans
- 21.09.2017US imposes new sanctions on North Korea
- 21.09.2017Trump to make 'important sanctions-related announcement' about North Korea, says White House
- 21.09.2017Erdogan, Trump to meet in NYC on Thursday
- 21.09.2017Mexico rescuers work into night to save trapped girl as quake toll tops 230
- 21.09.2017Palestinian Abbas says Middle East peace closer with Trump engaged
- 21.09.2017Hurricane Maria brings destruction, heavy floods to Puerto Rico
- 21.09.2017US: 1 shot at Illinois high school
- 20.09.2017Afghan president says Trump war plan has better chance than Obama's
- 20.09.2017Oil up 2 percent despite U.S. crude build
- 20.09.2017Death toll from Mexico earthquake hits 226- UPDATED-2
- 20.09.2017Russia calls on US to engage in dialogue with North Korea — Lavrov
- 20.09.2017Lavrov, Abbas discuss efforts to restore Palestinian unity
- 19.09.2017Mexico city International airport suspends operations after strong earthquake
- 19.09.20177.1 magnitude earthquake hits Mexico city
- 19.09.2017Trump says if threatened, U.S. will 'totally destroy' North Korea
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of General Debate of 72nd Session of UN General Assembly in New York
- 19.09.2017Hurricane Maria betters Dominica, heads to Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017Trump calls out ‘radical Islamic terrorism’ by name at UN
- 19.09.2017US to pay 'high cost' if it leaves Iran deal: Rouhani
- 19.09.2017Powerful Hurricane Maria targets Caribbean, Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves defense spending bill
- 19.09.2017Xi and Trump discuss sanctions pressure on North Korea: White House
- 18.09.2017France defends Iran nuclear deal, Trump to decide soon
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Political Declaration for UN Reform High Level Event in New York
- 18.09.2017128 Nations Sign US Declaration on Reform of United Nations
- 18.09.2017UN stunted by 'bureaucracy and mismanagement': Trump
- 17.09.2017US denies U-turn on climate deal
- 17.09.2017UN Security Council to hold ministerial meeting on non-proliferation next week
- 17.09.2017Jets strike U.S.-backed forces in eastern Syria
- 17.09.2017St Louis police killing: 30 arrests after acquittal protests
- 16.09.2017Venezuela's Maduro upbeat on talks, opposition fear 'show'
- 16.09.2017Police arrest man at Dover port, search house in London bomb manhunt
- 16.09.2017US Hurricanes Expose Vulnerabilities of Bank Infrastructure
- 16.09.2017World’s oldest person dies
- 16.09.2017UN Security Council condemns DPRK over missile launch, stresses political solution
- 16.09.2017State Department describes plans for cuts, offers few specifics: sources
- 16.09.2017North Korea's nuke program won't end until 'equilibrium of real force' achieved
- 16.07.2017US Navy commissions new Arleigh Burke-class destroyer at Pearl Harbor base
- 18.07.2017Oil prices ease on signs of steady output from some producers
- 18.07.2017US to maintain dialogue with Israel on halting Iranian ambitions in Syria
- 16.07.2017Cat killer jailed for 16 years in San Jose, California
- 15.07.2017Russian-American lobbyist attended Trump Jr. controversial meeting
- 15.07.2017Oil up 1 percent, posts weekly gain of 5 percent