Turks in Germany mark anniversary of defeated coup
Turks in Germany on Saturday commemorated the first anniversary of the defeated coup in Turkey with a number of events across the country, APA reports quoting AA.
In Berlin, Turkish ambassador Ali Kemal Aydin, hosted an event at the embassy in memory of the victims of the July 15 coup attempt.
He said the Turkish people showed great courage on that night, and won an “epic” victory against the coup plotters.
“They showed the whole world how to defend democracy and freedoms,” he said.
Aydin regretted that German politicians did not show solidarity with the Turkish people against the attempted coup.
“For us it is unacceptable that those terrorists who were involved in this coup attempt or supported it can now find shelter here,” he said.
Turkey believes the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) and its U.S.-based leader, Fetullah Gulen, of orchestrating the defeated coup of July 15, 2016, that left 250 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.
Germany, which hosts a 3 million strong Turkish community, is among the countries where FETO has a large network outside Turket, with dozens of private schools, businesses and media organizations.
Since the coup attempt, nearly 4,000 FETO suspects fled Turkey for Germany and other countries, according to local media.
On Saturday, leading Turkish diaspora orgazitaions held various events in major cities of Cologne, Dusseldorf and Frankfurt to condemn the FETO and commemorate the the victims of the July 15 coup attempt.
In the southern German city of Nuremberg, several hundreds of Turks gathered at a salon meeting for the "Democracy and National Unity Day”.
Hamza Dag, deputy chairman of Turkey’s ruling Justice are Development Party’s (AK Party) was among the guests speakers at the meeting, along with relatives of victims who resisted to the coup attempt.
Related news releases
- 25.07.2017CNN: Tillerson Considers Resigning
- 25.07.2017U.S. judge halts deportation of more than 1,400 Iraqi nationals
- 25.07.2017US scientists find evidence of water inside moon
- 25.07.2017Colombian FARC to formally enter politics
- 24.07.2017Four shot dead, 11 hurt in drug-related Paraguay disco shooting
- 23.07.2017Trump says he has ‘Complete Power’ to pardon
- 23.07.2017Venezuelan opposition announces new anti-Maduro strike
- 23.07.2017UN Security Council to hold urgent meeting on Jerusalem
- 22.07.2017US congress proposes $250mln for allies to counter Russian influence
- 22.07.2017Trump warns Iran over detained Americans: White House
- 22.07.2017US Defense Secretary says Daesh chief likely alive
- 21.07.2017US to prohibit citizens from traveling to North Korea
- 21.07.2017Sean Spicer resigns as White House spokesman
- 21.07.2017Brazil to raise taxes, freeze spending to meet target
- 21.07.2017UN treaty on nuclear arms ban may hinder IAEA work - Russian Foreign Ministry
- 21.07.2017Millions heed anti-Maduro shutdown in Venezuela
- 20.07.2017Linkin Park lead singer Chester Bennington commits suicide in his 41
- 20.07.2017Trump's son, close associates to appear before Senate
- 20.07.2017Trump cancels military support for Syrian rebels
- 20.07.2017Senator McCain diagnosed with aggressive brain cancer
- 20.07.2017U.S., Canada, Mexico agree on fast-paced NAFTA talks
- 19.07.2017U.S. Supreme Court partly rejects Trump in latest travel ban fight
- 19.07.2017Number of terrorist attacks globally dropped in 2016: U.S. government
- 19.07.2017Mexico concerned with US desire to cut trade deficits
- 19.07.2017Trump, Putin met for nearly an hour in second G20 meeting
- 19.07.2017U.S. prepares sanctions against senior Venezuelan officials
- 19.07.2017US Senate to Hold Hearings on Individual Health Insurance Market
- 18.07.2017U.S. puts new sanctions on Iran over ballistic missile program
- 18.07.2017Strong earthquake strikes off Peru, no tsunami risk seen
- 18.07.2017Tillerson Recertifies Iran's compliance to nuclear agreement
- 18.07.2017US Navy tests laser weapons system in Persian Gulf
- 15.07.2017US cannot confirm Daesh leader Baghdadi’s death
- 15.07.2017Trump, Saudi king discuss resolution of Qatar row
- 14.07.2017Mexico gun attack on children's party in Tizayuca kills 11
- 14.07.2017Trump says he would invite Putin to White House, but not now
- 14.07.2017US: Qatar crisis may take long time to resolve despite subtle Progress
- 13.07.2017Yellen says 3 percent U.S. growth 'quite challenging' in coming years
- 13.07.2017Ex-US president Jimmy Carter hospitalized in Canada - Carter Center
- 13.07.2017Grassley to send Trump Jr. letter asking him to testify
- 13.07.2017Democrats introduce new bill on Russia and Iran sanctions
- 16.07.2017US Navy commissions new Arleigh Burke-class destroyer at Pearl Harbor base
- 18.07.2017Oil prices ease on signs of steady output from some producers
- 18.07.2017US to maintain dialogue with Israel on halting Iranian ambitions in Syria
- 16.07.2017Cat killer jailed for 16 years in San Jose, California
- 15.07.2017Russian-American lobbyist attended Trump Jr. controversial meeting
- 15.07.2017Oil up 1 percent, posts weekly gain of 5 percent