Trump withdraws US from Iran nuclear deal
The president has announced his decision on whether or not the US would continue to abide by the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, an international agreement on Iran's nuclear program reached in 2015 by Iran, the five permanent members of the Security Council, Germany and the EU, APA reports citing reuters.
“I am announcing today that the United States will withdraw from the Iran nuclear deal,” Trump said.
Trump called the Iran deal a "disastrous" embarassment for the US.
"If I allowed this deal to stand, there would be a nuclear arms race in the Middle East," Trump said.
The president added that "powerful" US sanctions against Iran would now go into full effect.
Trump said the US and its allies would work to counter Iran's missile program, its nuclear program, and its meddling across the Middle East.
Earlier, US media reported that Trump was preparing to reinstate all US sanctions against the Middle Eastern country and impose additional economic restrictions, effectively annulling the US's commitment to the JCPOA. These reports were contradicted by a statement by French President Emmanuel Macron's office that Trump had not given him any indication about his plans regarding the nuclear deal.
Related news releases
- 21.05.2018U.S. toughens stance on Iran, lists sweeping demands
- 20.05.201822 injured after flash fire at plant near Pasadena
- 20.05.2018110 Confirmed Dead in Cuba Boeing 737 Plane Crash
- 19.05.2018Crashed Cuban plane's passengers included five foreigners plus crew: state media
- 19.05.2018U.S. sanctions No. 2 official in Venezuela's Socialist party
- 19.05.2018More than 100 killed in passenger plane crash in Cuba - UPDATED-1
- 18.05.2018In speech, Pompeo to call for 'broad support' against Iran
- 18.05.2018Senate approves Gina Haspel as next CIA director
- 18.05.2018PayPal in talks to buy Sweden's iZettle in $2.2 billion deal: WSJ
- 18.05.2018'Loner' student shoots and kills 10 at Texas school - UPDATED
- 18.05.2018US says ready to defend as Russia deploys in Mediterranean
- 17.05.2018China becomes spoiled on trade, trade deal unlikely to happen - Trump - UPDATED
- 17.05.2018Scope of drills unchanged amid preparations to Summit with Kim - Pentagon
- 17.05.2018Canada's Trudeau says feeling positive about NAFTA talks
- 17.05.2018Explosive eruption occurs at Hawaii's Kilauea volcano
- 17.05.2018Key senators: 'no doubt' Russia sought to interfere in U.S. election
- 17.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Arkansas
- 17.05.2018U.S. sanctions Hezbollah leader Nasrallah, deputy Qassem
- 17.05.2018UN 'collapsed' in face of Gaza killings: Turkish leader
- 16.05.2018Trump says 'We'll see' on North Korea summit, to insist on denuclearization
- 16.05.2018Trump tweets: China has 'much to give' in trade negotiations
- 16.05.2018Ash cloud from Hawaii volcano sparks aviation red alert
- 16.05.2018Mexico central bank to create cyber security unit after hack
- 15.05.2018US sanctions head of Iran's central bank
- 15.05.2018Facebook suspends 200 apps over mishandled user data
- 15.05.2018North, South Korea to hold high-level inter-Korea talks on May 16
- 15.05.2018US First Lady Undergoes Kidney Surgery at Military Hospital
- 15.05.2018U.S. blames Hamas for deadly Gaza violence
- 13.05.2018Trump welcomes North Korea's decision to dismantle nuclear test site
- 12.05.2018US condemns Iranian 'destabilizing influence' in region
- 11.05.2018Trump seeks 'very meaningful' summit in Singapore with North Korea
- 11.05.2018White House Reveals Reasons Singapore Chosen for Kim-Trump Summit
- 11.05.2018SpaceX postpones first commercial launch of updated Falcon 9 rocket
- 10.05.2018US Imposes New Sanctions on Iran
- 10.05.2018Trump-Kim Jong-un summit set for Singapore on 12 June
- 10.05.2018US to address shortcomings in Iran deal: Mattis
- 10.05.2018Americans freed by North Korea before Trump-Kim summit head home
- 10.05.2018Trump says U.S.-North Korea summit will not be at demilitarized zone
- 10.05.2018Trump warns Iran over resuming nuclear program
- 09.05.2018UN chief ‘deeply concerned’ by US decision to exit Iran nuclear deal
- 08.05.2018France, Germany, UK regret US decision to withdraw from Iran deal
- 08.05.2018Dollar index trims gains as Trump says will pull U.S. from Iran nuclear deal
- 09.05.2018US Treasury to reimpose sanctions on Iranian energy, shipbuilding sectors
- 08.05.2018Trump administration tells Congress US withdrawing from Iran deal - Aides
- 08.05.2018Trump, Xi agreed to keep sanctions against N Korea, until it stops nuclear tests
- 08.05.2018Trump told Macron, US to withdraw from Iran nuclear deal