Trump vows to Terminate Green Card lottery after NY attack
US President Donald Trump has vowed to terminate the Diversity Immigration Lottery program after the terrorist attack in New York that claimed the lives of eight people, including foreigners, APA reports quoting sputniknews.
"We want to get rid of chain migration, and we've wanted to do that for a long time and I've been wanting to do that for a long time and we'll be asking Congress to start working on it immediately. We need to get rid of this lottery program as soon as possible, [Sayfullo Saipov] came in through the diversity program as you know," Trump said.
Trump has described perpetrator of the "horrifying" Manhattan attack as an "animal," adding that he would consider sending the suspected attacker, whose identity was confirmed as Uzbek national Sayfullo Saipov, 29 to Guantanamo.
On Tuesday, a man later identified as as Sayfullo Saipov, who reportedly came to the United States in 2010, drove a truck through a bike path in Manhattan and was shot by police and taken to hospital. The attack claiming the lives of eight is the deadliest act of terror in New York since the 9/11 attacks in 2001.
As eyewitnesses claim, he was allegedly shouting "Allahu Akbar" ("God is Great" in Arabic) after he stepped out of the car. A number of reports citing senior police officials suggested that there was also a handwritten note pledging allegiance to Daesh in the truck, however, the information is yet to be confirmed.
According to NYPD, police found notes in the vehicle of the suspected attacker in Arabic that allegedly said that Daesh "will endure forever."
Green Card Lottery Program
The annual Diversity Visa Lottery also known as the Green Card Lottery is a US government program that makes 55,000 Permanent Resident cards available very year to persons from "underrepresented countries."
The congressionally-mandated Program makes Green Cards available to the winners, authorizing them and their families to live, study and work in the US as permanent residents.
Earlier in the day, Trump lambasted the program, saying that the Uzbek national, Sayfullo Saipov, 29 has allegedly been living in the United States since 2010 through this program, which have been less represented in employment and family-based preference categories in the US and who meet two basic eligibility requirements.
Related news releases
- 18.03.20181 person dead in shooting at Southern California mall, authorities say
- 18.03.2018Florida officials knew about bridge crack
- 17.03.2018Trump, South Korea's Moon discuss engagement with North
- 16.03.2018US: At least 6 dead in Florida bridge collapse
- 16.03.2018At least four dead in pedestrian bridge collapse at university in Miami - UPDATED
- 16.03.2018Nike brand president resigns; company probes workplace complaints
- 16.03.2018Colombia resumes peace talks with ELN rebels
- 16.03.2018Facebook Lite to launch in developed countries, including US
- 16.03.2018Broadcom tops revenue, profit on demand from smartphone makers
- 16.03.2018Several reported dead after pedestrian bridge collapses in Miami
- 15.03.2018Mueller subpoenas Trump organization, demands Russia-related docs
- 15.03.2018Explosion hits chemical plant in Texas, building ablaze - UPDATED
- 15.03.2018Former Trump campaign manager Manafort files to dismiss charges
- 15.03.2018U.S. Ambassador Haley tells U.N. Russia responsible for chemical attack
- 15.03.2018Trump taps commentator Kudlow for top economic adviser
- 15.03.2018US students rally nationwide against gun violence
- 15.03.2018Russian UN Envoy: 'Unacceptable' for UK to accuse Moscow of nerve agent attack
- 15.03.2018At least six die in Bolivia prison uprising
- 14.03.2018Three arrested, charged in US mosque bombing
- 13.03.2018White House fires top Tillerson aide after comments on Boss' firing
- 13.03.2018US defense secretary backs Afghan overtures to Taliban
- 13.03.2018Trump: Tillerson and I "disagreed on things" like the Iran deal
- 13.03.2018Trump sacks Rex Tillerson as state secretary
- 13.03.2018White House expects North Korea summit to happen despite Pyongyang's silence
- 13.03.2018US: House Republicans find no Trump-Russia collusion
- 13.03.2018U.S. may lift travel ban on 'important partner' Chad, Tillerson says
- 13.03.2018U.N. blames Honduras security forces for killing electoral protesters
- 12.03.2018U.S. warns if Security Council doesn't act on Syria, it will
- 12.03.2018Tillerson says several steps needed for U.S. talks with North Korea
- 11.03.2018Trump says North Korea talks could fail or bring 'greatest deal'
- 10.03.2018US Secretary of State Tillerson Ill, Cancels Africa Tour Events
- 10.03.2018Trump to rally for endangered Republican in Pennsylvania
- 10.03.20183 hostages and gunman dead at California veterans' home
- 10.03.2018U.S. seeks 'concrete actions' from North Korea before talks
- 10.03.2018UN welcomes planned Trump-Kim meeting
- 08.03.2018Alabama student dies in accidental school shooting: officials
- 08.03.2018U.N. urges Syria to ensure truce for Ghouta aid convoy on Thursday
- 07.03.2018UN secretary-general: Gender inequality and discrimination against women harms us all
- 07.03.2018U.S. President's top economic adviser stepping down
- 07.03.2018State Dept sanctions DPRK for using agent VX to kill Kim Jong Un’s half-brother
- 02.11.2017U.S. votes against U.N. resolution calling for end to Cuba embargo
- 02.11.2017New York Truck Attack Suspect 'Enemy Combatant' - White House
- 02.11.2017President Trump heads to Manila for Asian Summit
- 01.11.2017New York attack suspect acted for IS according to note left in truck
- 01.11.2017Petition for Trump's impeachment reaches 1 million signatures
- 01.11.2017Trump calls New York truck attacker 'very sick,' a 'deranged person'