Trump: US ideally seeks peaceful solution to Ukraine conflict
The United States ideally aims to find a peaceful solution to the conflict in the Ukraine, US President Donald Trump said during a joint press conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Friday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Trump and Merkel held a first meeting in the White House earlier in the day, discussing trade and security. It was Merkel’s first visit to the US in two years.
"I also appreciate Chancellor Merkel’s leadership along with the French President to resolve the conflict in Ukraine, where we ideally seek a peaceful solution," Trump stated.
In October 2016, Merkel met with the leaders of Russia, Ukraine and France to talk about implementing the stalled Minsk agreement to reinstate peace in eastern Ukraine.
Trump also praised Merkel for her efforts to resolve the ongoing conflict in Ukraine's as well as her leadership in providing support for NATO and the alliance’s operations in Afghanistan. Speaking of NATO, he also added that he reaffirmed his commitment to the bloc in a meeting, and underscored the need for out all allies to pay "their fair share for the cost of defense."
In 2015, the sides to the conflict reached another ceasefire agreement in Minsk following negotiations brokered by the leaders of Russia, Ukraine, France and Germany.
However, the agreements have repeatedly been violated, with the conflict escalating near the southeastern Ukrainian towns of Avdiivka and neighboring Yasynuvata in late January.
Related news releases
- 31.03.2017Canada mosque closes door on notorious past
- 31.03.2017Israeli cabinet approves first West Bank settlement in 20 years
- 30.03.2017NATO welcomes Tillerson's Ankara visit
- 30.03.2017Texas church bus crash: 13 killed, 2 injured in collision with pickup truck
- 30.03.2017Hawaii judge indefinitely extends order blocking Trump's revised travel ban
- 30.03.2017US soldier dies in northern Syria
- 30.03.2017State Department employee charged in making contacts with Chinese agents
- 29.03.2017US Congress votes to scrap Internet privacy protections
- 29.03.2017Plane catches fire on landing in Peru, passengers safe - VİDEO
- 29.03.2017First US goal at NATO summit to convince allies to boost defense spending
- 29.03.2017Trump signs order sweeping away Obama-era climate policies
- 28.03.2017Head of US intelligence inquiry refuses to step aside
- 28.03.2017UN chief calls for continued support to Jordan to aid Syrian refugees
- 28.03.2017White House under lock down after package found
- 28.03.2017Texas Attorney General leads 13-state coalition backing Trump travel ban
- 28.03.2017Tillerson to meet Erdogan during visit to Turkey this week - US State Department
- 27.03.2017White House establishing office of innovation to streamline US Government
- 27.03.2017UN Secretary General's spokesman denies de Mistura resignation rumors
- 26.03.2017Powerful explosion injures 15 people in the UK
- 26.03.2017UN urges Russia, Turkey, Iran to uphold Syria ceasefire
- 26.03.2017Trump tastes failure as U.S. House healthcare bill collapses
- 26.03.2017Uber suspends self-driving car program after Arizona crash
- 25.03.2017US sanctions 8 Russian companies over non-proliferation law
- 25.03.2017U.S. sanctions 30 firms, individuals for aiding Iran, North Korea arms programs
- 25.03.2017GOP House leader addresses media after health care replacement bill pulled
- 24.03.2017Italian Eni finds promising oil reserves off Mexican coast
- 24.03.2017Venezuela to withdraw troops after Colombia border crossing
- 24.03.2017UN Security Council calls for immediate efforts to honor permanent truce in South Sudan
- 24.03.2017State Department to approve Keystone pipeline permit on Friday
- 23.03.2017US Senate Confirms Trump Nominee David Friedman to Be US Ambassador to Israel
- 23.03.2017Belgian police arrest man after car attack attempt
- 23.03.2017Empty cartridges 4 people killed in series of shootings in US
- 23.03.2017US Secretary of State: 'I did not want this job'
- 19.03.2017Trump wants to build 30-foot-high wall at Mexican border
- 17.03.2017Iran sentences daughter of late president to jail for second time
- 17.03.2017McDonald's deletes Trump tweet, says Twitter account compromised
- 16.03.2017U.S. Secretary of State to visit Turkey on March 30
- 16.03.2017Treasury's Mnuchin says Trump doesn't want trade wars
- 16.03.2017Trump – only US president who has 8-year plan: government consultant
- 16.03.2017Hawaii judge halts Trump's new travel ban before it can go into effect
- 19.03.2017Man detained after hopping bike-rack barrier near White House
- 19.03.2017Venezuela prison mass grave yields 15 corpses, three headless
- 19.03.2017Legendary Rock'n'Roll icon Chuck Berry dies at 90
- 18.03.2017In first Trump-Merkel meeting, awkward body language and a quip
- 17.03.2017Tillerson delivers stark warning to North Korea of possible military response
- 17.03.2017US considers Syria-Israel fire exchange to be bilateral matter - Pentagon