Trump: US ideally seeks peaceful solution to Ukraine conflict
The United States ideally aims to find a peaceful solution to the conflict in the Ukraine, US President Donald Trump said during a joint press conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Friday, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Trump and Merkel held a first meeting in the White House earlier in the day, discussing trade and security. It was Merkel’s first visit to the US in two years.
"I also appreciate Chancellor Merkel’s leadership along with the French President to resolve the conflict in Ukraine, where we ideally seek a peaceful solution," Trump stated.
In October 2016, Merkel met with the leaders of Russia, Ukraine and France to talk about implementing the stalled Minsk agreement to reinstate peace in eastern Ukraine.
Trump also praised Merkel for her efforts to resolve the ongoing conflict in Ukraine's as well as her leadership in providing support for NATO and the alliance’s operations in Afghanistan. Speaking of NATO, he also added that he reaffirmed his commitment to the bloc in a meeting, and underscored the need for out all allies to pay "their fair share for the cost of defense."
In 2015, the sides to the conflict reached another ceasefire agreement in Minsk following negotiations brokered by the leaders of Russia, Ukraine, France and Germany.
However, the agreements have repeatedly been violated, with the conflict escalating near the southeastern Ukrainian towns of Avdiivka and neighboring Yasynuvata in late January.
Related news releases
- 20.10.2017Trump orders administration to deter conflict with Russia
- 20.10.2017City schools to begin controversial supplement in Brazil
- 19.10.2017Brazil Parliament Committee recommends dismissing charges against Temer
- 19.10.2017US: Visa talks with Turkey are productive
- 19.10.2017Ford to recall 1.34 million trucks in North America for door latch fix
- 19.10.2017Tillerson to visit Pakistan as well as India: senior U.S. official
- 18.10.2017US: 3 dead, 2 injured in Maryland shooting
- 18.10.2017Tillerson expresses support for Iraq’s unity
- 18.10.2017Hillary Clinton says U.S. threats of war with North Korea 'dangerous, short-sighted'
- 18.10.2017More than 90 percent of Raqqa liberated: Pentagon
- 18.10.2017Venezuela's Maduro defends disputed vote, opposition divided
- 18.10.2017US senators reach tentative health care deal
- 18.10.2017George Saunders wins the Man Booker prize for his novel Lincoln in the Bardo
- 17.10.2017US to 'not take sides' in Iraqi-Kurdish dispute: Trump
- 17.10.2017US forces kill dozens of Daesh fighters in Yemen
- 15.10.2017Powerful Hurricane Ophelia heads toward Ireland
- 15.10.2017Approach to Iran exposes growing irritation between U.S. and allies
- 14.10.2017Magnitude 5.4 quake rumbles southern Mexico, no reports of damage
- 14.10.2017Mattis says U.S. working to ensure situation around Kirkuk does not escalate
- 13.10.2017Donald Trump makes a statement on new Iranian strategy
- 13.10.2017US adds Iranian Revolutionary Guard corps to sanctions list
- 13.10.2017Trump strikes blow against Iran nuclear deal in major U.S. policy shift
- 13.10.2017Tillerson: Trump to stay in Iran nuclear deal, but decertify Tehran's compliance
- 13.10.2017US hopes to dialogue with Turkey over visa spat
- 13.10.2017Trump to announce US strategy on Iran on Friday: White House
- 13.10.2017Niger ambush that killed eight the work of new ISIL offshoot: Pentagon
- 13.10.2017US ready to return flags to Russia - State Department official
- 13.10.2017Officers killed, schools on lockdown after North Carolina prison break
- 12.10.2017Russian MoD delegation traveling to UN Headquarters denied US entry visas
- 12.10.2017UN secretary general ‘deeply regrets’ US pulling out of UNESCO
- 12.10.2017Trump signs executive order changing affordable Care Act Healthcare Insurance rules
- 12.10.2017U.S. withdraws from UNESCO
- 12.10.2017At least 23 dead, hundreds missing as winds fan California wildfires
- 12.10.2017US officials ‘respectfully' took down Russian flags - State Department
- 12.10.2017Mattis says U.S. will work to stay aligned with Turkey despite diplomatic tensions
- 12.10.2017US energy agency revises up oil price forecast
- 12.10.2017US: Fed officials split on interest rate increase
- 12.10.2017Trump says could envision trade deal with Canada without Mexico
- 12.10.2017US ‘committed’ to restarting Mideast talks: Jordan king
- 12.10.2017Trump denies seeking nearly tenfold increase in U.S. nuclear arsenal
- 19.03.2017Man detained after hopping bike-rack barrier near White House
- 19.03.2017Venezuela prison mass grave yields 15 corpses, three headless
- 19.03.2017Legendary Rock'n'Roll icon Chuck Berry dies at 90
- 18.03.2017In first Trump-Merkel meeting, awkward body language and a quip
- 17.03.2017Tillerson delivers stark warning to North Korea of possible military response
- 17.03.2017US considers Syria-Israel fire exchange to be bilateral matter - Pentagon