Trump: "UNSC sanctions to make big financial impact on N. Korea"
The latest UN Security Council resolution on North Korea is the single largest sanctions package ever imposed on the country, and it will make a big financial impact on Pyongyang, US President Donald Trump said, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
"The United Nations Security Council just voted 15-0 to sanction North Korea. China and Russia voted with us. Very big financial impact!… United Nations Resolution is the single largest economic sanctions package ever on North Korea. Over one billion dollars in cost to N.K.," Trump said on Twitter on Saturday.
On Saturday, the UN Security Council (UNSC) unanimously adopted the resolution tightening the sanctions imposed on North Korea. The document implies prohibition of imports of coal, iron, iron ore, lead and seafood from the Asian nation by the UN member states.
Within the framework of the resolution, UN member-states will not be available to open joint ventures or cooperative entities with North Korean entities or individuals, as well as not be able to to increase the number of North Korean workers already engaged in the projects on the territories of the member states.
In July, North Korea conducted two tests of intercontinental ballistic missiles in violation of previous UN Security resolutions. The latest launch was carried out on July 28. According to the state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), the test was successful with the missile having reached the altitude of 3,725 kilometers (2,314 miles) and traveled 998 kilometers for about 47 minutes before falling in the Sea of Japan.
Related news releases
- 23.08.2017UN agencies offer emergency assistance to Iraqis fleeing Tal Afar
- 23.08.2017Maduro: Venezuela-US relations at ‘worst moment’
- 23.08.2017US talked to Russia, China about role in Afghan peace process - Tillerson
- 22.08.2017China urges U.S. to fix 'mistake' of sanctioning firms over North Korea
- 22.08.2017US backs Iraq’s territorial integrity: Defense minister
- 22.08.2017Unknown security threat causes lockdown at White House
- 22.08.2017Protesters storm Charlottesville city council meeting
- 22.08.2017U.S., North Korea clash at U.N. forum over nuclear weapons
- 22.08.2017US adds 4 Russian nationals in sanctions list
- 22.08.2017Trump: No timetable for Afghan troop withdrawal
- 21.08.2017Secret Service budget takes blow protecting Trump
- 20.08.2017Second officer dies in Florida police shooting
- 20.08.2017Veteran NAFTA negotiators likely to deflect political pressures
- 20.08.2017Counterprotest derails 'free speech' rally in US city
- 19.08.2017Boston march against right-wing rally draws thousands
- 19.08.2017Earthquake of 6.4 magnitude strikes west of Tonga
- 19.08.2017US has no intention to stay in Syria: State Dept
- 19.08.2017Romania negotiating to buy U.S. rocket systems worth $1.25 billion: Pentagon
- 19.08.2017U.S. State Department email restored after global outage
- 19.08.2017Oil jumps 3 percent as dollar falls, U.S. rig count drops
- 18.08.2017Rare US solar eclipse to help unlock sun's secrets
- 18.08.2017Trump fires adviser Bannon
- 18.08.2017UN Security Council condemns Barcelona terrorist attack
- 17.08.2017White House chief of staff briefs Trump on Barcelona incident
- 17.08.2017At least 13 dead in terror attack in Barcelona - UPDATED - VIDEO
- 17.08.2017Clashes at Venezuelan Prison Kill 37 Inmates, Wound 4
- 17.08.2017At least six killed in suspected gang attack at Guatemala hospital
- 17.08.2017Mike Pence urges four South American nations to cut contacts with North Korea
- 17.08.2017US Black Hawk missing in Hawaii, search underway for crew
- 17.08.2017Trump ends business councils after mass resignations
- 16.08.2017Explosion occurs at plaza Venezuela metro station in Caracas
- 16.08.2017Trump: Both sides to blame in Charlottesville violence
- 16.08.2017Colombia’s FARC to become political party with new name, same acronym
- 16.08.2017U.S. confident of 'peaceable' Venezuelan solution
- 16.08.2017US senator McCain urges Trump to promote free trade as NAFTA talks begin
- 15.08.2017U.S. sanctions hit Russian hopes of a 'Trump bump' for investment
- 15.08.2017Oil prices steady after overnight tumble on dollar strength
- 15.08.2017Venezuela's Maduro seeks to capitalize on Trump's military threat
- 15.08.2017Pence says 'failed state' in Venezuela threatens United States
- 15.08.2017Trump condemns KKK, neo-Nazis, white supremacists
- 07.08.2017Oil slides as output rises at Libya's largest oil field
- 07.08.2017U.S. can talk to North Korea if it stops missile tests: Tillerson
- 08.08.2017Trump: North Korean threats 'will be met with fire & fury'
- 06.08.2017Washington to continue taking 'Prudent Defensive Measures' against Pyongyang
- 06.08.2017U.S. searching for 3 missing Marines after aircraft mishap off Australia
- 06.08.2017Seven dead, 15 injured as bus plunges off a cliff in El Salvador