Trump: "UNSC sanctions to make big financial impact on N. Korea"
The latest UN Security Council resolution on North Korea is the single largest sanctions package ever imposed on the country, and it will make a big financial impact on Pyongyang, US President Donald Trump said, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
"The United Nations Security Council just voted 15-0 to sanction North Korea. China and Russia voted with us. Very big financial impact!… United Nations Resolution is the single largest economic sanctions package ever on North Korea. Over one billion dollars in cost to N.K.," Trump said on Twitter on Saturday.
On Saturday, the UN Security Council (UNSC) unanimously adopted the resolution tightening the sanctions imposed on North Korea. The document implies prohibition of imports of coal, iron, iron ore, lead and seafood from the Asian nation by the UN member states.
Within the framework of the resolution, UN member-states will not be available to open joint ventures or cooperative entities with North Korean entities or individuals, as well as not be able to to increase the number of North Korean workers already engaged in the projects on the territories of the member states.
In July, North Korea conducted two tests of intercontinental ballistic missiles in violation of previous UN Security resolutions. The latest launch was carried out on July 28. According to the state-run Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), the test was successful with the missile having reached the altitude of 3,725 kilometers (2,314 miles) and traveled 998 kilometers for about 47 minutes before falling in the Sea of Japan.
Related news releases
- 21.07.2018Ecuador to withdraw asylum for Julian Assange
- 21.07.2018Ex-Colombian guerrillas sworn into Congress
- 21.07.2018Missouri boat accident kills 17, including nine from one family
- 21.07.2018U.S. urges strict U.N. sanctions until North Korea acts on denuclearization
- 20.07.2018Trump, Putin discussed Syria crisis, returning refugees: Pompeo
- 20.07.2018US: Mattis opposes bid to remove Turkey from F-35 program
- 20.07.2018Pompeo: Possible Trump-Putin meeting in Washington 'All to the Good'
- 20.07.2018Pompeo: Trump set up communications channel with Russia in Helsinki
- 20.07.2018At least 8 dead, 10 injured as tourist vessel capsizes in Missouri - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018At least 7 injured after Tornado hits Iowa factory
- 20.07.2018Trump slams EU over $5 billion fine on Google
- 20.07.2018US immigrant group rejects huge donation
- 20.07.2018Donald Trump invites Putin to the White House
- 19.07.2018Trump says China's currency dropping like a rock - UPDATED
- 19.07.2018Trump says EU officials want to negotiate trade deal in Washington visit
- 19.07.2018Trump says he holds Putin personally responsible for election meddling
- 18.07.2018Trump says Russia no longer targeting US
- 18.07.2018Trump asked eight times to meet Iran president at UN last year
- 18.07.2018Japan, EU sign free trade pact amid worries about Trump
- 18.07.2018Military aircraft crashed in Mexico
- 18.07.2018US Senate Democrats Demand Probe of Putin-Trump Summit
- 18.07.2018Trump says he, Putin discussed North Korea, curbing global nuclear weapons
- 18.07.2018Boeing CEO says Embraer deal offers thrifty suppliers more volume
- 18.07.2018Boy killed during protest in southern Venezuela: police
- 18.07.2018Trump tries to calm political storm over Putin summit, says he misspoke
- 18.07.2018Three teens shot, one critically, in U.S. state of North Carolina
- 17.07.2018Communist-run Cuba starts rolling out internet on mobile phones
- 17.07.2018US judge halts deportations of immigrant families
- 17.07.2018Flying 'lava bomb' injures 13 off coast of Hawaii's big island
- 17.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 17.07.2018Russian Student Arrested in Washington DC, Charged as Foreign Agent
- 16.07.2018Trump says U.S. must find ways to cooperate with Russia
- 16.07.2018Iran sues US for re-imposing sanctions
- 15.07.2018Trump says intends to run for president in 2020
- 15.07.201825 injured after bus overturns on Los Angeles freeway
- 14.07.2018UN General Assembly Reaches global deal on migration
- 14.07.2018UN Security Council imposes arms embargo on South Sudan
- 13.07.2018US indicts 12 Russian spies for 2016 election hacking
- 13.07.2018Department of State: The US strongly supports the Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.07.2018Donald Trump: May presses case for US trade deal at dinner
- 07.08.2017Oil slides as output rises at Libya's largest oil field
- 07.08.2017U.S. can talk to North Korea if it stops missile tests: Tillerson
- 08.08.2017Trump: North Korean threats 'will be met with fire & fury'
- 06.08.2017Washington to continue taking 'Prudent Defensive Measures' against Pyongyang
- 06.08.2017U.S. searching for 3 missing Marines after aircraft mishap off Australia
- 06.08.2017Seven dead, 15 injured as bus plunges off a cliff in El Salvador