Trump to hail 'new American moment'
A bullish US President Donald Trump will proclaim a "new American moment" as he delivers his maiden State of the Union speech on Tuesday night, APA reports quoting BBC.
In his primetime address to Congress, he will tell lawmakers: "There has never been a better time to start living the American dream."
The Republican leader will say he is "extending an open hand" to Democrats to set aside political division.
The American economy is booming but Mr Trump's approval rating is languishing.
In an upbeat message a world away from the apocalyptic tone he struck in his "American carnage" inaugural address of just a year ago, Mr Trump will say his administration is "building a safe, strong, and proud America".
He will also implore the nation to come together as "one team, one people, and one American family", according to excerpts released by the White House.
But he will also say "there is much more work to be done" to defeat the militants.
Warning against complacency, Mr Trump will vow: "We will continue our fight until ISIS is defeated."
Massachusetts congressman Joseph Kennedy III, a great-nephew of President John K Kennedy, will deliver the Democrats' response to Mr Trump's speech.
He will attempt to seize Mr Trump's political mantle by purporting to speak for "Americans who feel forgotten and forsaken".
Bewailing a "fractured country" and depicting Mr Trump's presidency as "chaos", Mr Kennedy will say: "Many have spent the past year anxious, angry, afraid."
"Bullies may land a punch," he will say. "They might leave a mark. But they have never, not once, in the history of our United States, managed to match the strength and spirit of a people united in defence of their future."
Related news releases
- 27.05.2018US Mississippi, Florida declare emergency over subtropical storm Alberto
- 27.05.2018Trump reaffirms commitment to meet Kim Jong-un in Singapore
- 26.05.2018Venezuela has freed U.S. missionary Josh Holt, Trump says
- 26.05.2018U.S. warns Syria of 'firm' measures for ceasefire violations
- 26.05.2018Thousands protest Argentina's negotiations with IMF
- 26.05.2018U.S., South Korean top diplomats commit to keep working on North: U.S. spokeswoman
- 26.05.2018Cuba plane crash death toll rises to 112
- 25.05.2018Trump suggests North Korea summit could still happen
- 25.05.2018U.N. urges Saudi-led coalition to speed Yemen imports, avoid starvation
- 25.05.2018US to impose new sanctions against North Korea next week
- 24.05.2018UN chief hails efforts to keep Iran nuclear deal alive
- 24.05.2018US imposes new sanctions targeting Iranian airlines, four Turkish companies
- 24.05.2018Trump calls off meeting with North Korea's Kim
- 24.05.2018State Department orders two Venezuelan diplomats to leave US in 48 hours
- 24.05.2018Trump blocking critics on Twitter violates Constitution: U.S. judge
- 24.05.2018US: Pompeo says China incident matches Cuba 'attacks'
- 24.05.2018Trump says will know next week if North Korea summit to go ahead
- 24.05.2018Pompeo: U.S. will walk away from North Korea summit rather than take bad deal
- 24.05.2018U.N. Security Council approves North Korea travel to Singapore: diplomats
- 23.05.2018One killed, a dozen injured in fireworks storage blast in Spain
- 23.05.2018US Treasury vows to cancel sanctions against Russia's GAZ Group
- 23.05.2018White House continues with preparations for Trump-Kim summit
- 23.05.2018White House: US Intel Community to brief Republicans on Russiagate
- 22.05.2018Venezuela expels US diplomat over 'conspiring' against government
- 22.05.2018OPEC may decide to ease oil supply curbs in June
- 22.05.2018Facebook's Zuckerberg to apologise to EU lawmakers over data leak
- 22.05.2018Trump says summit with Kim may be delayed
- 22.05.2018Cuba plane crash death toll rises to 111
- 21.05.2018U.S. toughens stance on Iran, lists sweeping demands
- 20.05.201822 injured after flash fire at plant near Pasadena
- 20.05.2018110 Confirmed Dead in Cuba Boeing 737 Plane Crash
- 19.05.2018Crashed Cuban plane's passengers included five foreigners plus crew: state media
- 19.05.2018U.S. sanctions No. 2 official in Venezuela's Socialist party
- 19.05.2018More than 100 killed in passenger plane crash in Cuba - UPDATED-1
- 18.05.2018In speech, Pompeo to call for 'broad support' against Iran
- 18.05.2018Senate approves Gina Haspel as next CIA director
- 18.05.2018PayPal in talks to buy Sweden's iZettle in $2.2 billion deal: WSJ
- 18.05.2018'Loner' student shoots and kills 10 at Texas school - UPDATED
- 18.05.2018US says ready to defend as Russia deploys in Mediterranean
- 17.05.2018China becomes spoiled on trade, trade deal unlikely to happen - Trump - UPDATED
- 31.01.2018Trump plans to keep Guantanamo Bay open
- 31.01.2018North Korea May 'Very Soon' Threaten US Homeland - Trump
- 31.01.2018Train carrying Republican lawmakers hits truck; minor injuries
- 30.01.2018US Treasury Secretary says 'Kremlin report' will trigger new sanctions
- 30.01.2018‘Kremlin report’ imposing sanctions on Russian officials and oligarchs submitted to US Congress
- 30.01.2018Not aware of civilian casualties in Afrin: Pentagon