Trump to hail 'new American moment'
A bullish US President Donald Trump will proclaim a "new American moment" as he delivers his maiden State of the Union speech on Tuesday night, APA reports quoting BBC.
In his primetime address to Congress, he will tell lawmakers: "There has never been a better time to start living the American dream."
The Republican leader will say he is "extending an open hand" to Democrats to set aside political division.
The American economy is booming but Mr Trump's approval rating is languishing.
In an upbeat message a world away from the apocalyptic tone he struck in his "American carnage" inaugural address of just a year ago, Mr Trump will say his administration is "building a safe, strong, and proud America".
He will also implore the nation to come together as "one team, one people, and one American family", according to excerpts released by the White House.
But he will also say "there is much more work to be done" to defeat the militants.
Warning against complacency, Mr Trump will vow: "We will continue our fight until ISIS is defeated."
Massachusetts congressman Joseph Kennedy III, a great-nephew of President John K Kennedy, will deliver the Democrats' response to Mr Trump's speech.
He will attempt to seize Mr Trump's political mantle by purporting to speak for "Americans who feel forgotten and forsaken".
Bewailing a "fractured country" and depicting Mr Trump's presidency as "chaos", Mr Kennedy will say: "Many have spent the past year anxious, angry, afraid."
"Bullies may land a punch," he will say. "They might leave a mark. But they have never, not once, in the history of our United States, managed to match the strength and spirit of a people united in defence of their future."
Related news releases
- 21.02.2018Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'
- 21.02.2018Trump phones Mexican president over copter crash
- 20.02.2018Pentagon prepares new ballistic missile defense review
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 16.02.2018John Kirby: "Tillerson breaks protocol by meeting Erdogan without translator"
- 16.02.2018Tillerson and Turkey's Erdogan had productive conversation: U.S. spokesman
- 16.02.2018US court says travel ban discriminates against Muslims
- 15.02.2018FBI was warned about Florida gunman
- 15.02.2018Avalanche kills three skiers in France
- 15.02.2018US and Russia dispute over Syria in UN Security Council
- 15.02.2018Any U.S. talks with North Korea would press denuclearization demand: Pence
- 15.02.2018Tillerson wants more cooperation with Turkey on Syria
- 15.02.2018Ex-student kills 17 in shooting spree at Florida high school- UPDATED
- 14.02.2018New US sanctions against Russia to come in near future - US Treasury Secretary
- 14.02.2018Shooting outside NSA campus leaves at least three injured
- 14.02.2018Tillerson stresses need to discuss issue of co-op to reduce threats against Turkey
- 14.02.2018Washington Has No Problem With Turkey's Plan to Rename US Embassy Street
- 14.02.2018State Department: US Ready to Hold Talks With North Korea
- 14.02.2018Several People Injured in Utah Shooting
- 13.02.2018Tillerson: "Turkey's operation in Afrin negatively affected the fight against ISIL"
- 13.02.2018Tillerson visits Egypt's Sisi at start of Mideast tour
- 13.02.2018Trump daughter-in-law hospitalized over suspect letter
- 13.02.2018White House dismisses idea of U.S.-Israel discussing settlement annexation
- 11.02.2018Canadian PM motorcade crashes, police officer and two others injured
- 11.02.2018Ohio police officers were killed while protecting others, chief says
- 10.02.2018FARC suspends political campaigning in Colombia
- 09.02.2018Trump signs deal to end brief government shutdown, increase U.S. spending
- 09.02.2018Qualcomm rejects Broadcom's revised buyout offer, proposes meeting
- 09.02.2018Washington Says Wants to Rebuild 'Complicated' Relations With Russia
- 09.02.2018UN declares new stage in fight against Islamic State
- 08.02.2018Venezuela opposition weighs election run after talks end
- 31.01.2018Trump plans to keep Guantanamo Bay open
- 31.01.2018North Korea May 'Very Soon' Threaten US Homeland - Trump
- 31.01.2018Train carrying Republican lawmakers hits truck; minor injuries
- 30.01.2018US Treasury Secretary says 'Kremlin report' will trigger new sanctions
- 30.01.2018‘Kremlin report’ imposing sanctions on Russian officials and oligarchs submitted to US Congress
- 30.01.2018Not aware of civilian casualties in Afrin: Pentagon