Trump to announce decision on Iran nuclear deal on Tuesday
U.S. President Donald Trump said he would announce a decision on the future of the Iran nuclear deal on Tuesday as European countries piled pressure on Washington to remain in the 2015 agreement, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Trump has threatened to withdraw from the deal, which provided Iran with relief from economic sanctions in exchange for limiting its uranium enrichment capacity, unless European signatories to the accord fix what he has called its shortcomings.
“I will be announcing my decision on the Iran Deal tomorrow from the White House at 2:00pm,” Trump said in a Twitter post on Monday.
Trump has until May 12 to decide whether to reintroduce U.S. sanctions on Iran, which would deal a heavy blow to the agreement.
Under the agreement with the United States, France, Germany, Britain, Russia and China, Iran strictly limited uranium enrichment capacity to try to show that it was not trying to develop atomic bombs. In exchange, Iran received relief from economic sanctions.
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani hinted on Monday that Iran could remain in the nuclear accord even if the United States dropped out, but said that Tehran would fiercely resist U.S. pressure to limit its influence in the Middle East.
Britain, France and Germany remain committed to the accord and, in an effort to address U.S. complaints, want to open talks on Iran’s ballistic missile program, its nuclear activities beyond 2025 - when pivotal provisions of the deal expire - and its role in the wars in Syria and Yemen.
British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, in Washington for talks this week, said the deal had weaknesses but these could be remedied.
“At this moment Britain is working alongside the Trump administration and our French and German allies to ensure that they are,” he said in a commentary in the New York Times.
Related news releases
- 21.05.2018U.S. toughens stance on Iran, lists sweeping demands
- 20.05.201822 injured after flash fire at plant near Pasadena
- 20.05.2018110 Confirmed Dead in Cuba Boeing 737 Plane Crash
- 19.05.2018Crashed Cuban plane's passengers included five foreigners plus crew: state media
- 19.05.2018U.S. sanctions No. 2 official in Venezuela's Socialist party
- 19.05.2018More than 100 killed in passenger plane crash in Cuba - UPDATED-1
- 18.05.2018In speech, Pompeo to call for 'broad support' against Iran
- 18.05.2018Senate approves Gina Haspel as next CIA director
- 18.05.2018PayPal in talks to buy Sweden's iZettle in $2.2 billion deal: WSJ
- 18.05.2018'Loner' student shoots and kills 10 at Texas school - UPDATED
- 18.05.2018US says ready to defend as Russia deploys in Mediterranean
- 17.05.2018China becomes spoiled on trade, trade deal unlikely to happen - Trump - UPDATED
- 17.05.2018Scope of drills unchanged amid preparations to Summit with Kim - Pentagon
- 17.05.2018Canada's Trudeau says feeling positive about NAFTA talks
- 17.05.2018Explosive eruption occurs at Hawaii's Kilauea volcano
- 17.05.2018Key senators: 'no doubt' Russia sought to interfere in U.S. election
- 17.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Arkansas
- 17.05.2018U.S. sanctions Hezbollah leader Nasrallah, deputy Qassem
- 17.05.2018UN 'collapsed' in face of Gaza killings: Turkish leader
- 16.05.2018Trump says 'We'll see' on North Korea summit, to insist on denuclearization
- 16.05.2018Trump tweets: China has 'much to give' in trade negotiations
- 16.05.2018Ash cloud from Hawaii volcano sparks aviation red alert
- 16.05.2018Mexico central bank to create cyber security unit after hack
- 15.05.2018US sanctions head of Iran's central bank
- 15.05.2018Facebook suspends 200 apps over mishandled user data
- 15.05.2018North, South Korea to hold high-level inter-Korea talks on May 16
- 15.05.2018US First Lady Undergoes Kidney Surgery at Military Hospital
- 15.05.2018U.S. blames Hamas for deadly Gaza violence
- 13.05.2018Trump welcomes North Korea's decision to dismantle nuclear test site
- 12.05.2018US condemns Iranian 'destabilizing influence' in region
- 11.05.2018Trump seeks 'very meaningful' summit in Singapore with North Korea
- 11.05.2018White House Reveals Reasons Singapore Chosen for Kim-Trump Summit
- 11.05.2018SpaceX postpones first commercial launch of updated Falcon 9 rocket
- 10.05.2018US Imposes New Sanctions on Iran
- 10.05.2018Trump-Kim Jong-un summit set for Singapore on 12 June
- 10.05.2018US to address shortcomings in Iran deal: Mattis
- 10.05.2018Americans freed by North Korea before Trump-Kim summit head home
- 10.05.2018Trump says U.S.-North Korea summit will not be at demilitarized zone
- 10.05.2018Trump warns Iran over resuming nuclear program
- 09.05.2018UN chief ‘deeply concerned’ by US decision to exit Iran nuclear deal
- 08.05.2018Thousands flee floods on Canada’s east coast
- 08.05.2018Trump 'congratulates' Putin on inauguration
- 08.05.2018Trump told Macron, US to withdraw from Iran nuclear deal
- 07.05.2018Trump slams Kerry over Iran deal 'shadow diplomacy'
- 07.05.2018Trump will not attend U.S. Embassy opening in Jerusalem: White House
- 06.05.2018UK says foreign minister Johnson to meet U.S. VP Pence, discuss Iran, North Korea