Trump says Russia probe will be fair, but timeline unclear
President Donald Trump said on Thursday he believes he will be fairly treated in a special counsel investigation into Russian meddling in the U.S. presidential election, but said he did not know how long the probe would last, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The federal investigation has hung over Trump’s White House since he took office almost a year ago, and some Trump allies have in recent weeks accused the team of Justice Department Special Counsel Robert Mueller of being biased against the Republican president.
But in an interview with the New York Times, Trump appeared to shrug off concerns about the investigation, which was prompted by U.S. intelligence agencies’ conclusion that Russia tried to help Trump defeat Democrat Hillary Clinton by hacking and releasing embarrassing emails and disseminating propaganda.
“There’s been no collusion. But I think he’s going to be fair,” Trump said in what the Times described as a 30-minute impromptu interview at his golf club in West Palm Beach, Florida.
Mueller has charged four Trump associates in his investigation. Russia has denied interfering in the U.S. election.
U.S. Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein said this month that he was not aware of any impropriety by Mueller’s team.
Related news releases
- 21.01.2018Military chopper crash in California leaves two dead
- 21.01.2018Federal reserve to deregulate US banking sector via tailored approach
- 21.01.2018Trump's dealmaker image tarnished by U.S. government shutdown
- 20.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov, US’ Tillerson discuss stability in north Syria
- 20.01.2018U.S. government shuts down as lawmakers still searching for a deal
- 20.01.2018Pentagon: Turkey’s Afrin operation will not affect ties
- 20.01.2018Supreme Court to decide legality of Trump travel ban
- 20.01.2018US could soon be world’s largest oil producer
- 20.01.2018Russia: US creating 'bodies of authority' in Syria
- 20.01.2018US: Afrin operation does not serve Turkey's interests
- 20.01.2018Large amounts of foreign currency border crossing prevented
- 19.01.2018Car plows into crowd in Rio de Janeiro, 15 injured
- 19.01.2018Ex-CIA Director Stansfield Turner dead at 94; served under Carter
- 19.01.2018US House appoves short-term spending bill, avoid shutdown
- 19.01.2018US army tests secure Wi-Fi to increase troop ‘mobility and flexibility’
- 19.01.2018US calls on Turkey not to take action in Syria’s Afrin
- 18.01.2018UN issues list of 5 alternative names for Macedonia
- 18.01.2018Train crashes in Mexico City suburb, killing at least five
- 18.01.2018Trump denies U.S. embassy to be moved to Jerusalem within a year
- 18.01.2018Trump accuses Russia of helping North Korea evade sanctions; says U.S. needs more missile defense
- 18.01.2018At least 5 dead as winter storm wracks southern US
- 18.01.2018US will consider Turkey’s concerns about PKK: Tillerson
- 18.01.2018U.S. signals open-ended presence in Syria
- 17.01.2018Venezuela helicopter pilot Oscar Pérez killed in raid
- 17.01.2018U.S.-led meeting urges North Korea pressure despite North-South detente
- 17.01.2018Internal solution to Syria would be better: UN chief
- 17.01.2018US withholds $65M aid to Palestine: State Dept
- 17.01.2018Trump administration to appeal 'Dreamer' immigrant ruling
- 16.01.2018At least seven killed in military helicopter crash in Colombia - Army
- 16.01.2018US president hails Qatar anti-terror role
- 15.01.2018Russia’s Lavrov slams US statements on Iran nuclear deal
- 14.01.201813 dead, 39 hurt in multi-vehicle crash in Brazil
- 14.01.2018False missile alert sparks Hawaii panic
- 14.01.2018Trump, Lighthizer discuss China, NAFTA trade talks: White House
- 13.01.2018General Motors reveals self-driving car without steering wheel - VİDEO
- 13.01.2018Florida monkeys to be evicted after study finds they carry lethal Herpes B virus
- 13.01.2018Death toll from California mudslides climbs to 18
- 13.01.2018Food riots in Venezuela leave four dead, 16 wounded
- 13.01.2018Trump should apologize for any vulgar language, says Haiti's ambassador to U.S.
- 13.01.2018U.S. sanctions head of Iran's judiciary, others, over human rights abuses
- 31.12.2017Ten people die after car crash in southwest Mexico
- 02.01.20189 dead as biting cold grips US
- 03.01.2018US calls for emergency UN session on Iran protests
- 30.12.2017Thousands of Peruvians march against Fujimori pardon
- 29.12.2017US: Child caused massive apartment fire killing 12
- 29.12.2017Apple apologises for slowing older iPhones down