Trump says he does not fault son for meeting Russian lawyer
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday he did not fault his son Donald Trump Jr. for meeting with a Russian lawyer during the 2016 presidential election campaign and that he was unaware of the meeting until a few days ago, APA reports quoting Reuters.
Asked if he knew that his son was meeting with lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya in June last year, the president told Reuters in a White House interview: “No, that I didn’t know until a couple of days ago when I heard about this.”
(Transcript highlights: reut.rs/2sRVuHc)
Trump Jr. eagerly agreed to meet the woman he was told was a Russian government lawyer who might have damaging information about Democratic rival Hillary Clinton as part of Moscow's official support for his father's campaign, according to emails the son released on Tuesday.
Seated at his Oval Office desk, Trump said he did not fault his son for holding the meeting, writing it off as a decision made in the heat of an upstart, non-traditional campaign.
"I think many people would have held that meeting," Trump said.
"It was a 20-minute meeting, I guess, from what I’m hearing," Trump said. "Many people, and many political pros, said everybody would do that."
The emails were the most concrete evidence that Trump campaign officials might have been willing to accept Russian help to win the Nov. 8 election, a subject that has cast a cloud over Trump's presidency and prompted investigations by the U.S. Justice Department and Congress.
Related news releases
- 25.07.2017CNN: Tillerson Considers Resigning
- 25.07.2017U.S. judge halts deportation of more than 1,400 Iraqi nationals
- 25.07.2017US scientists find evidence of water inside moon
- 25.07.2017Colombian FARC to formally enter politics
- 24.07.2017Four shot dead, 11 hurt in drug-related Paraguay disco shooting
- 23.07.2017Trump says he has ‘Complete Power’ to pardon
- 23.07.2017Venezuelan opposition announces new anti-Maduro strike
- 23.07.2017UN Security Council to hold urgent meeting on Jerusalem
- 22.07.2017US congress proposes $250mln for allies to counter Russian influence
- 22.07.2017Trump warns Iran over detained Americans: White House
- 22.07.2017US Defense Secretary says Daesh chief likely alive
- 21.07.2017US to prohibit citizens from traveling to North Korea
- 21.07.2017Sean Spicer resigns as White House spokesman
- 21.07.2017Brazil to raise taxes, freeze spending to meet target
- 21.07.2017UN treaty on nuclear arms ban may hinder IAEA work - Russian Foreign Ministry
- 21.07.2017Millions heed anti-Maduro shutdown in Venezuela
- 20.07.2017Linkin Park lead singer Chester Bennington commits suicide in his 41
- 20.07.2017Trump's son, close associates to appear before Senate
- 20.07.2017Trump cancels military support for Syrian rebels
- 20.07.2017Senator McCain diagnosed with aggressive brain cancer
- 20.07.2017U.S., Canada, Mexico agree on fast-paced NAFTA talks
- 19.07.2017U.S. Supreme Court partly rejects Trump in latest travel ban fight
- 19.07.2017Number of terrorist attacks globally dropped in 2016: U.S. government
- 19.07.2017Mexico concerned with US desire to cut trade deficits
- 19.07.2017Trump, Putin met for nearly an hour in second G20 meeting
- 19.07.2017U.S. prepares sanctions against senior Venezuelan officials
- 19.07.2017US Senate to Hold Hearings on Individual Health Insurance Market
- 18.07.2017U.S. puts new sanctions on Iran over ballistic missile program
- 18.07.2017Strong earthquake strikes off Peru, no tsunami risk seen
- 18.07.2017Tillerson Recertifies Iran's compliance to nuclear agreement
- 18.07.2017US Navy tests laser weapons system in Persian Gulf
- 18.07.2017US to maintain dialogue with Israel on halting Iranian ambitions in Syria
- 18.07.2017Oil prices ease on signs of steady output from some producers
- 16.07.2017US Navy commissions new Arleigh Burke-class destroyer at Pearl Harbor base
- 16.07.2017Turks in Germany mark anniversary of defeated coup
- 16.07.2017Cat killer jailed for 16 years in San Jose, California
- 15.07.2017Russian-American lobbyist attended Trump Jr. controversial meeting
- 15.07.2017Oil up 1 percent, posts weekly gain of 5 percent
- 15.07.2017US cannot confirm Daesh leader Baghdadi’s death
- 15.07.2017Trump, Saudi king discuss resolution of Qatar row
- 13.07.2017Democrats introduce new bill on Russia and Iran sanctions
- 13.07.2017Grassley to send Trump Jr. letter asking him to testify
- 13.07.2017Ex-US president Jimmy Carter hospitalized in Canada - Carter Center
- 13.07.2017Rising seas threaten hundreds of coastal US towns
- 13.07.2017Canada raises interest rate for first time in 7 years
- 13.07.2017Sanders: Lawmaker article of impeachment against Trump 'completely ridiculous'