Trump plans to keep Guantanamo Bay open
U.S. President Donald Trump is preparing to reverse an Obama-era order to shut down the infamous military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, according to a report by Politico, a political news website in Washington D.C, APA reports quoting CNN.
Trump is expected to sign an executive order to rescind the 2009 directive given by then-President Barack Obama intended to shut the camp, either during his State of the Union speech on Tuesday night or in the days surrounding it, the report said.
But Trump's order will be largely symbolic in nature, as Obama was never able to make good on his own directive by failing to transfer the Guantanamo Bay's prisoners and close the camp during last years of his presidency.
However, Obama did move nearly 200 Guantanamo inmates to the custody of other countries from the island. Only 41 detainees now remain in the facility, set up in 2002 as part of the U.S. war on terror.
Last year, Trump said he would consider sending terror suspects who allegedly committed their crimes on U.S. soil to the military prison.
But the Trump administration has no intention to expand the detention camp's population, according to the report.
- 21.02.2018Trump pushes for ban on gun 'bump stocks'
- 21.02.2018Trump phones Mexican president over copter crash
- 20.02.2018Pentagon prepares new ballistic missile defense review
- 19.02.2018Tillerson says new sanctions can be imposed on Russia
- 18.02.2018US to work with Turkey on liberated areas in Syria
- 18.02.2018Brazil to form public security ministry to battle rising crime
- 18.02.2018US charges 13 Russian nationals, 3 organizations with alleged meddling in 2016 election
- 17.02.2018Mexico helicopter crash kills 13 on ground in wake of earthquake
- 17.02.2018Helicopter with interior minister, governor crashes into van in Mexico, kills two
- 17.02.2018Flu killed 22 American children last week
- 17.02.2018Mexico hit by major earthquake of magnitude 7.5
- 17.02.2018FBI failed to investigate Florida shooter tip
- 16.02.2018US grand jury indicts 13 Russians for election meddling
- 16.02.2018John Kirby: "Tillerson breaks protocol by meeting Erdogan without translator"
- 16.02.2018Tillerson and Turkey's Erdogan had productive conversation: U.S. spokesman
- 16.02.2018US court says travel ban discriminates against Muslims
- 15.02.2018FBI was warned about Florida gunman
- 15.02.2018Avalanche kills three skiers in France
- 15.02.2018US and Russia dispute over Syria in UN Security Council
- 15.02.2018Any U.S. talks with North Korea would press denuclearization demand: Pence
- 15.02.2018Tillerson wants more cooperation with Turkey on Syria
- 15.02.2018Ex-student kills 17 in shooting spree at Florida high school- UPDATED
- 14.02.2018New US sanctions against Russia to come in near future - US Treasury Secretary
- 14.02.2018Shooting outside NSA campus leaves at least three injured
- 14.02.2018Tillerson stresses need to discuss issue of co-op to reduce threats against Turkey
- 14.02.2018Washington Has No Problem With Turkey's Plan to Rename US Embassy Street
- 14.02.2018State Department: US Ready to Hold Talks With North Korea
- 14.02.2018Several People Injured in Utah Shooting
- 13.02.2018Tillerson: "Turkey's operation in Afrin negatively affected the fight against ISIL"
- 13.02.2018Tillerson visits Egypt's Sisi at start of Mideast tour
- 13.02.2018Trump daughter-in-law hospitalized over suspect letter
- 13.02.2018White House dismisses idea of U.S.-Israel discussing settlement annexation
- 11.02.2018Canadian PM motorcade crashes, police officer and two others injured
- 11.02.2018Ohio police officers were killed while protecting others, chief says
- 10.02.2018FARC suspends political campaigning in Colombia
- 09.02.2018Trump signs deal to end brief government shutdown, increase U.S. spending
- 09.02.2018Qualcomm rejects Broadcom's revised buyout offer, proposes meeting
- 09.02.2018Washington Says Wants to Rebuild 'Complicated' Relations With Russia
- 09.02.2018UN declares new stage in fight against Islamic State
- 08.02.2018Venezuela opposition weighs election run after talks end
- 31.01.2018North Korea May 'Very Soon' Threaten US Homeland - Trump
- 31.01.2018Train carrying Republican lawmakers hits truck; minor injuries
- 31.01.2018US sanctions Hamas chief; lists him on terror list
- 31.01.2018Trump to hail 'new American moment'
- 30.01.2018US Treasury Secretary says 'Kremlin report' will trigger new sanctions
- 30.01.2018‘Kremlin report’ imposing sanctions on Russian officials and oligarchs submitted to US Congress