Trump pardons former vice president's chief of staff
I. Lewis Libby Jr., also known as Scooter Libby, "has been treated unfairly", Trump said in a White House statement announcing his decision.
"Hopefully, this full pardon will help rectify a very sad portion of his life," he added, referring to Libby, who was Cheney's chief of staff.
Libby was convicted of lying to the FBI during an investigation into leaks that outed an undercover CIA operative. Specifically, Libby lied to investigators about the disclosure to reporters of Valerie Plame's status as a covert CIA agent after her husband, Joseph Wilson, publicly criticized the Bush administration's stated rationale for invading Iraq in a 2003 New York Times op-ed.
Libby was found guilty of four of the five charges he faced in 2007.
Former President George W. Bush had earlier commuted Libby's 30-month sentence, but stopped short of issuing a full pardon, which absolves the convictions.
Speaking to American news network MSNBC before the announcement, Plame said "it's very clear this is a message" Trump is sending "that you can commit crimes against national security and you will be pardoned."
Related news releases
- 20.07.2018Pompeo: Trump set up communications channel with Russia in Helsinki
- 20.07.2018At least 8 dead, 10 injured as tourist vessel capsizes in Missouri - UPDATED
- 20.07.2018At least 7 injured after Tornado hits Iowa factory
- 20.07.2018Trump slams EU over $5 billion fine on Google
- 20.07.2018US immigrant group rejects huge donation
- 20.07.2018Donald Trump invites Putin to the White House
- 19.07.2018Trump says China's currency dropping like a rock - UPDATED
- 19.07.2018Trump says EU officials want to negotiate trade deal in Washington visit
- 19.07.2018Trump says he holds Putin personally responsible for election meddling
- 18.07.2018Trump says Russia no longer targeting US
- 18.07.2018Trump asked eight times to meet Iran president at UN last year
- 18.07.2018Japan, EU sign free trade pact amid worries about Trump
- 18.07.2018Military aircraft crashed in Mexico
- 18.07.2018US Senate Democrats Demand Probe of Putin-Trump Summit
- 18.07.2018Trump says he, Putin discussed North Korea, curbing global nuclear weapons
- 18.07.2018Boeing CEO says Embraer deal offers thrifty suppliers more volume
- 18.07.2018Boy killed during protest in southern Venezuela: police
- 18.07.2018Trump tries to calm political storm over Putin summit, says he misspoke
- 18.07.2018Three teens shot, one critically, in U.S. state of North Carolina
- 17.07.2018Communist-run Cuba starts rolling out internet on mobile phones
- 17.07.2018US judge halts deportations of immigrant families
- 17.07.2018Flying 'lava bomb' injures 13 off coast of Hawaii's big island
- 17.07.2018U.S. State Department in talks with Turkey to sell Patriot system
- 17.07.2018Russian Student Arrested in Washington DC, Charged as Foreign Agent
- 16.07.2018Trump says U.S. must find ways to cooperate with Russia
- 16.07.2018Iran sues US for re-imposing sanctions
- 15.07.2018Trump says intends to run for president in 2020
- 15.07.201825 injured after bus overturns on Los Angeles freeway
- 14.07.2018UN General Assembly Reaches global deal on migration
- 14.07.2018UN Security Council imposes arms embargo on South Sudan
- 13.07.2018US indicts 12 Russian spies for 2016 election hacking
- 13.07.2018Department of State: The US strongly supports the Southern Gas Corridor project
- 13.07.2018Donald Trump: May presses case for US trade deal at dinner
- 12.07.2018Trump says ready to help some NATO states buy U.S. arms
- 12.07.2018US mulls sanctions on Russia, China for importing Iranian oil
- 11.07.2018US State Department accuses Iran of using Embassies for terror plots
- 11.07.2018US announces additional tariffs on $200 bln in Chinese goods
- 10.07.2018Trump pardons ranchers whose case ignited standoff
- 10.07.2018US secretary of state meets with Abu Dhabi crown prince
- 10.07.2018Trump-Putin meeting to focus on Syria, Ukraine – Pompeo
- 14.04.2018U.S says Syria government was behind chemical weapon attack
- 14.04.2018Ecuadorean journalists held by Colombian rebels confirmed dead
- 14.04.2018Trump says U.S. will only rejoin Pacific trade pact if terms are improved
- 13.04.2018Russia U.N. envoy says United States, France and Britain want to oust Syrian government
- 13.04.2018UN Secretary General: 'Cold War is back with vengeance'
- 13.04.2018UN Security Council to meet friday on Syria crisis