Trump offers to mediate talks on Qatar crisis
U.S. President Donald Trump on Thursday said he would be willing to step in and mediate the worst dispute in decades among the U.S.-allied Gulf Arab states and Qatar, and said that he thinks a deal could come quickly, APA reports quoting Reuters.
“If I can help mediate between Qatar and, in particular, the UAE and Saudi Arabia, I would be willing to do so, and I think you would have a deal worked out very quickly,” Trump said at a joint news conference with Kuwaiti Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah.
Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Egypt and Bahrain cut diplomatic and trade links with Qatar on June 5, suspending air and shipping routes with the world’s biggest exporter of liquefied natural gas, which is home to the region’s biggest U.S. military base.
The nations say Doha supports regional foe Iran and Islamists, charges Qatar’s leaders deny. Kuwait has been trying to mediate the dispute.
“What is important is that we have stopped any military action,” Sheikh Sabah said.
While both sides in the dispute have ruled out the use of armed force, some ordinary Qataris have said they worry about the possibility of military action, given the ferocity of the criticism their country has received from media in the four Arab states.
Sheikh Sabah said he had received a letter from Qatar that expressed willingness to discuss a list of 13 demands from its neighbors.
“We know that not all of these 13 demands are acceptable,” Sheikh Sabah said, referring specifically to issues that affected Qatari sovereignty.
“A great part of them will be resolved,” he said.
Qatari officials have repeatedly said the demands are so draconian that they suspect the four countries never seriously intended to negotiate them, and were instead seeing to hobble Doha’s sovereignty. At the same time, they have said Qatar is interested in negotiating a fair and just solution to ‘any legitimate issues’ of concern to fellow Gulf Cooperation Council member states.
Related news releases
- 21.09.2017Trump to make 'important sanctions-related announcement' about North Korea, says White House
- 21.09.2017Erdogan, Trump to meet in NYC on Thursday
- 21.09.2017Mexico rescuers work into night to save trapped girl as quake toll tops 230
- 21.09.2017Palestinian Abbas says Middle East peace closer with Trump engaged
- 21.09.2017Hurricane Maria brings destruction, heavy floods to Puerto Rico
- 21.09.2017US: 1 shot at Illinois high school
- 20.09.2017Afghan president says Trump war plan has better chance than Obama's
- 20.09.2017Oil up 2 percent despite U.S. crude build
- 20.09.2017Death toll from Mexico earthquake hits 226- UPDATED-2
- 20.09.2017Russia calls on US to engage in dialogue with North Korea — Lavrov
- 20.09.2017Lavrov, Abbas discuss efforts to restore Palestinian unity
- 19.09.2017Mexico city International airport suspends operations after strong earthquake
- 19.09.20177.1 magnitude earthquake hits Mexico city
- 19.09.2017Trump says if threatened, U.S. will 'totally destroy' North Korea
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani President attends opening of General Debate of 72nd Session of UN General Assembly in New York
- 19.09.2017Hurricane Maria betters Dominica, heads to Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017Trump calls out ‘radical Islamic terrorism’ by name at UN
- 19.09.2017US to pay 'high cost' if it leaves Iran deal: Rouhani
- 19.09.2017Powerful Hurricane Maria targets Caribbean, Puerto Rico
- 19.09.2017US Senate overwhelmingly approves defense spending bill
- 19.09.2017Xi and Trump discuss sanctions pressure on North Korea: White House
- 18.09.2017France defends Iran nuclear deal, Trump to decide soon
- 18.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev attended Political Declaration for UN Reform High Level Event in New York
- 18.09.2017128 Nations Sign US Declaration on Reform of United Nations
- 18.09.2017UN stunted by 'bureaucracy and mismanagement': Trump
- 17.09.2017US denies U-turn on climate deal
- 17.09.2017UN Security Council to hold ministerial meeting on non-proliferation next week
- 17.09.2017Jets strike U.S.-backed forces in eastern Syria
- 17.09.2017St Louis police killing: 30 arrests after acquittal protests
- 16.09.2017Venezuela's Maduro upbeat on talks, opposition fear 'show'
- 16.09.2017Police arrest man at Dover port, search house in London bomb manhunt
- 16.09.2017US Hurricanes Expose Vulnerabilities of Bank Infrastructure
- 16.09.2017World’s oldest person dies
- 16.09.2017UN Security Council condemns DPRK over missile launch, stresses political solution
- 16.09.2017State Department describes plans for cuts, offers few specifics: sources
- 16.09.2017North Korea's nuke program won't end until 'equilibrium of real force' achieved
- 16.09.2017NASA ends Cassini’s mission orbiting Saturn
- 16.09.2017After new missile test, U.S. says North Korea threatens whole world
- 16.09.2017Brazil president faces racketeering, obstruction of justice charges
- 15.09.2017Trump signs resolution condemning white supremacists
- 08.09.2017Jose Upgraded to Category 3 Hurricane
- 08.09.2017Military action against DPRK not inevitable: Trump
- 08.09.2017Miami terminal shut down after police-involved shooting
- 08.09.2017US Senate passes Harvey aid package, extends debt limit
- 08.09.2017Trump: 'Nothing is inevitable' on N Korea
- 08.09.2017Hurricane Irma kills 5 as it sweeps through island of Saint Martin