Trump: Military option possible in Venezuela
President Donald Trump said late Friday there are many alternatives regarding Venezuela and he would not rule out a “military option", APA reports quoting Anadolu Agency.
Trump spoke at his golf course in New Jersey after meeting with his UN Ambassador Nikki Haley and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
"This is our neighbor, you know, we’re all over the world, and we have troops all over the world in places that are very, very far away. Venezuela is not very, far away and the people are suffering and they’re dying,” Trump said.
Trump did not say, however, whether the military option would be a U.S.-led coalition nor did he answer a question about whether he wanted regime change there or in North Korea.
Following an unofficial referendum in Venezuela last month in which voters cast ballots on a Constituent Assembly that has the power to rewrite the Constitution and dissolve institution, Trump, a day later called President Nicolas Maduro “a bad leader who dreams of becoming a dictator’’ and threatened economic sanctions that were implemented shortly thereafter.
Venezuela has faced ongoing political and economic crises as low crude oil prices forced the government to cut back or eliminate its socialist programs.
The situation has fueled public anger and massive protests since April, that have left at least 120 people dead.
The opposition has run a vigorous campaign to remove Maduro from office with early elections.
In turn, Maduro has blamed the right-wing opposition, the U.S. and its regional allies for the country’s current condition.
Related news releases
- 21.10.2017US: Raqqa’s liberation marks 'beginning of a new phase'
- 20.10.2017Trump orders administration to deter conflict with Russia
- 20.10.2017City schools to begin controversial supplement in Brazil
- 19.10.2017Brazil Parliament Committee recommends dismissing charges against Temer
- 19.10.2017US: Visa talks with Turkey are productive
- 19.10.2017Ford to recall 1.34 million trucks in North America for door latch fix
- 19.10.2017Tillerson to visit Pakistan as well as India: senior U.S. official
- 18.10.2017US: 3 dead, 2 injured in Maryland shooting
- 18.10.2017Tillerson expresses support for Iraq’s unity
- 18.10.2017Hillary Clinton says U.S. threats of war with North Korea 'dangerous, short-sighted'
- 18.10.2017More than 90 percent of Raqqa liberated: Pentagon
- 18.10.2017Venezuela's Maduro defends disputed vote, opposition divided
- 18.10.2017US senators reach tentative health care deal
- 18.10.2017George Saunders wins the Man Booker prize for his novel Lincoln in the Bardo
- 17.10.2017US to 'not take sides' in Iraqi-Kurdish dispute: Trump
- 17.10.2017US forces kill dozens of Daesh fighters in Yemen
- 15.10.2017Powerful Hurricane Ophelia heads toward Ireland
- 15.10.2017Approach to Iran exposes growing irritation between U.S. and allies
- 14.10.2017Magnitude 5.4 quake rumbles southern Mexico, no reports of damage
- 14.10.2017Mattis says U.S. working to ensure situation around Kirkuk does not escalate
- 13.10.2017Donald Trump makes a statement on new Iranian strategy
- 13.10.2017US adds Iranian Revolutionary Guard corps to sanctions list
- 13.10.2017Trump strikes blow against Iran nuclear deal in major U.S. policy shift
- 13.10.2017Tillerson: Trump to stay in Iran nuclear deal, but decertify Tehran's compliance
- 13.10.2017US hopes to dialogue with Turkey over visa spat
- 13.10.2017Trump to announce US strategy on Iran on Friday: White House
- 13.10.2017Niger ambush that killed eight the work of new ISIL offshoot: Pentagon
- 13.10.2017US ready to return flags to Russia - State Department official
- 13.10.2017Officers killed, schools on lockdown after North Carolina prison break
- 12.10.2017Russian MoD delegation traveling to UN Headquarters denied US entry visas
- 12.10.2017UN secretary general ‘deeply regrets’ US pulling out of UNESCO
- 12.10.2017Trump signs executive order changing affordable Care Act Healthcare Insurance rules
- 12.10.2017U.S. withdraws from UNESCO
- 12.10.2017At least 23 dead, hundreds missing as winds fan California wildfires
- 12.10.2017US officials ‘respectfully' took down Russian flags - State Department
- 12.10.2017Mattis says U.S. will work to stay aligned with Turkey despite diplomatic tensions
- 12.10.2017US energy agency revises up oil price forecast
- 12.10.2017US: Fed officials split on interest rate increase
- 12.10.2017Trump says could envision trade deal with Canada without Mexico
- 12.10.2017US ‘committed’ to restarting Mideast talks: Jordan king
- 12.08.2017Trump: North Korea will regret any acts against US
- 12.08.2017Venezuela defense chief calls Trump threat of intervention 'crazy'
- 12.08.2017Magnitude 5.6 quake kills 1, hurts 2 in Peru
- 12.08.2017Trump will send envoys to Middle East to discuss peace: official
- 12.08.2017US not interested in talking about back channels with North Korea
- 11.08.2017US state secretary calls for delay of Kurd region poll