Trump limits number of troops Pentagon may send to Afghanistan
The Trump administration has set a limit to the number of troops the US Department of Defense is allowed to send to Afghanistan, media reported on Thursday, APA reports quoting Sputnik.
Citing officials familiar with a memo from National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster, the Wall Street Journal reported that President Donald Trump would only allow sending up to 3,900 troops to Afghanistan.
The Defense Department is in the process of outlining a new strategy on Afghanistan.
Mattis previously said the United States should look at what kind of capabilities it can bring to aid Afghanistan’s security forces, including better air and intelligence support as well as diplomatic and economic pressure on surrounding nations.
On June 19, US Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John McCain said the United States has no strategy to end the stalemate in Afghanistan. McCain added that Mattis told the committee the United States was not winning the war in Afghanistan.
Related news releases
- 27.04.2018Mexico says NAFTA deal 'reasonably close' talks 'not easy'
- 27.04.2018Pentagon chief calls on Russia to help UN envoy build stability in Middle East
- 26.04.2018At least 10 hurt in blast at Wisconsin refinery
- 26.04.2018US to expand Syria operation: Defense Secretary Mattis
- 26.04.2018Senate Confirms C.I.A. Chief Mike Pompeo to Be Secretary of State
- 26.04.2018US not seeking to reopen Iran nuclear deal, envoy says
- 26.04.2018U.S. probing Huawei for possible Iran sanctions violations
- 25.04.2018Senate confirms new director of National Security Agency
- 25.04.2018US urges all sides in Armenia to engage constructively on transition of power
- 25.04.2018Trump and France's Macron seek new measures on Iran as deadline looms
- 25.04.2018US: 2 officers, 1 civilian shot in Texas
- 25.04.2018Venezuelan refugees in Colombia exceed one million
- 24.04.2018US defense official comments on relations with Russia
- 24.04.2018Terrorism is likely motive behind Toronto van attack: U.S. source
- 24.04.2018Driver kills 10, injures 15 plowing van into Toronto sidewalk crowd
- 24.04.2018France's Macron visits Trump as Iran nuclear deal hangs in balance
- 24.04.2018At least nine dead in Nicaragua protests, U.S. curbs embassy services
- 24.04.2018U.S. allies press Trump to keep Iran nuclear deal alive
- 24.04.2018Mattis says he is optimistic North Korea talk will be 'fruitful'
- 22.04.2018One killed, six injured in overnight shooting in San Francisco
- 21.04.2018At least three dead, including police officer, in Nicaragua protests
- 21.04.2018Trump, France's Macron to discuss Iran nuclear deal next week
- 21.04.2018State Dept reveals content of US under secretary meeting with Russian ambassador
- 21.04.2018Russia calls for greater UN presence in Syria
- 20.04.2018US president slams cartel OPEC over high oil prices
- 20.04.2018Time reveals 100 Most Influential People for 2018
- 20.04.2018Man linked to 9/11 attacks on U.S. captured in Syria
- 20.04.2018No intent to change Syria's strategic balance: Pentagon
- 20.04.2018Trudeau says recognizes NAFTA timeline, will stick up for Canada
- 20.04.2018Russian diplomat calls on US to show readiness for constructive dialogue
- 20.04.2018US State Dept warns Turkey of possible sanctions over S-400 purchase
- 19.04.2018Steven Seagal has no plans to visit Armenia and Nagorno Karabakh
- 19.04.2018Trump: US taking care of Cuba following election of new president
- 19.04.2018Trump: Battle between US forces, Russian nationals in Syria month ago 'sad'
- 19.04.2018Trump, Japan's Abe agree to intensify trade talks
- 18.04.2018Castro nears retirement as Cuban president; successor proposed
- 18.04.2018Pompeo visits North Korea, forms 'good relationship with Kim', says Trump
- 18.04.2018Mike Pompeo, CIA chief, met with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un
- 18.04.2018US, allies to be unable to dislodge Assad
- 18.04.2018Former First Lady Barbara Bush dies at the age of 92
- 07.07.2017Washington expressed concern over the killing of civilians in Alkhanli village of Azerbaijan’s Fizuli region
- 08.07.2017At least one killed in blaze at El Salvador ministry
- 08.07.2017Trump: Meeting with Putin was ‘tremendous’
- 06.07.2017Date and time of first Putin-Trump meeting on sidelines of G20 Summit revealed
- 06.07.2017Tillerson says important for Trump, Putin to have good exchange
- 06.07.2017FARC splinter group releases UN worker in Colombia