Trump: Facebook was on Clinton's side during election, not mine
President Trump said in a tweet on Saturday that Facebook was on the side of former Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton in the 2016 general election campaign, APA reports quoting The Hill.
"Crooked Hillary Clinton spent hundreds of millions of dollars more on Presidential Election than I did. Facebook was on her side, not mine!" Trump tweeted.
The president's tweet comes after it was revealed that Russian-based hackers used social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter to attempt to influence the 2016 presidential election.
The platforms have become the subject of federal and congressional probes into alleged ties between the Trump campaign and Russia.
Brad Parscale, the former digital director for Trump's campaign, told "60 Minutes" that Facebook played a key role in Trump's election to the presidency.
"I understood early that Facebook was how Donald Trump was going to win. Twitter is how he talked to the people, Facebook was going to be how he won," he said.
Facebook's Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg traveled to Washington, D.C. earlier this month and met with lawmakers as a means of repairing the platform's reputation, which has suffered after it was revealed that Russian actors purchased $100,000 in political ads on its platform.
A Facebook spokesperson said on Thursday the company's general counsel will testify before the House and Senate Intelligence committees during hearings examining how Russians may have used social media companies to interfere in the 2016 election.
Related news releases
- 23.11.2017UN says ongoing Daesh threat needs to be annihilated
- 23.11.2017Anomalous methane-rich comet 45p could be key to understanding origins of life
- 23.11.2017Trump to meet congressional leaders next week on legislative issues -White House
- 23.11.2017Ex-Olympics doctor faces 25 to 40 years in prison
- 23.11.2017U.S. welcomes Hariri's return to Lebanon: State Department official
- 23.11.2017U.S. crude pares gains, but lingers near 2-year high
- 23.11.2017U.S. calls Myanmar moves against Rohingya 'ethnic cleansing'
- 22.11.2017Attorney general says bodyguard accidentally kills Mexican Televisa exec
- 22.11.2017US calls Turkish gov’t accusations of plot in Zarrab case ‘ridiculous’
- 22.11.2017US sanctions Chinese, North Korean entities
- 22.11.2017Colombia protests Venezuelan military crossing border
- 21.11.2017UK welcomes Mugabe's resignation
- 21.11.2017Trump and Putin spoke by phone
- 21.11.2017US, Afghan forces launch anti-poppy operation
- 21.11.2017Missing Argentine submarine had reported electrical malfunction
- 20.11.2017US re-designates N Korea state sponsor of terrorism
- 19.11.2017Trump calls 'crooked' Hillary Clinton 'worst and biggest loser of all time'
- 18.11.20179 injured in large fire atop 6-story apartment building in New York
- 18.11.2017Argentine submarine goes missing for two days, major search op underway
- 18.11.2017Canada, Mexico try more flexibility as key NAFTA round opens
- 17.11.2017US official: If Turkey buys Russian systems, they can’t plug into NATO tech
- 17.11.2017Turkish businessman Reza Zarrab escapes knife attack in U.S. prison
- 17.11.2017Canadian senator dies on parliamentary trip in Colombia
- 17.11.2017South Dakota Keystone pipeline shut down after oil spill
- 17.11.2017UN Security Council rejects Russian draft on Syria chemical probe
- 17.11.2017The impeachment of President Donald Trump has officially begun
- 17.11.2017Fed's Williams calls for global rethink of monetary policy
- 17.11.2017US House passes tax reform bill, sends measure to Senate
- 16.11.2017Trump urges U.N. council to renew Syria chemical arms inquiry
- 16.11.2017More worries in Congress over cuts at U.S. State Department
- 16.11.2017US Democrats enter new articles to impeach Trump
- 15.11.2017Planned talks between Venezuelan opposition, government will not take place
- 15.11.2017U.S. security officials arrive in Israel to discuss Syria agreement
- 15.11.2017US FDA approves first 'digital pill'
- 15.11.2017Death toll as a result of a gunman in California fired at school reached - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017De Mistura: Putin, Trump create qualitatively new situation in Syrian settlement
- 14.11.2017At least 3 dead in California school shooting, shooter killed by police
- 14.11.2017Trump vows free and open Indo-Pacific region
- 14.11.2017US Army lifts ban on recruits with mental health history
- 12.11.2017Six people killed in bus-hearse crash in Mexico
- 22.10.2017Saakashvili announced disappearance of his three associates in Kyiv
- 22.10.2017Four critically wounded in Philadelphia shooting
- 24.10.2017Spanish tourist shot, killed by police in Rio de Janeiro slum
- 21.10.2017Trump plans to release classified JFK documents
- 21.10.2017US: Raqqa’s liberation marks 'beginning of a new phase'
- 20.10.2017Trump orders administration to deter conflict with Russia