Trump calls on Qatar to stop "funding" terrorism
Taking what appeared to be a different position to Trump's hard line, U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson made clear on Friday he expected all parties to end the crisis, APA reports quoting Reuters.
"We call on the kingdom of Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt to ease the blockade against Qatar," he said in Washington.
Tillerson told reporters at the State Department that the crisis, which has cut transportation links and trade, had begun to hurt ordinary people in Qatar, impaired business dealings and harmed the U.S. battle against the Islamic State militant group.
Qatar is home to a vital U.S. military base. Shortly after Tillerson's remarks, the Pentagon said that while the Qatar blockade was not affecting current operations against Islamic State, it was "hindering" the ability to plan for long-term operations.
He demanded that Qatar, as well as the other nations, take steps to curtail support for terrorism. Saudi Arabia and other Gulf states accuse Doha of supporting extremist groups, but Tillerson suggested that all sides needed to do more.
"The emir of Qatar has made progress in halting financial support and expelling terrorist elements from his country, but he must do more and he must do it more quickly," Tillerson said. "Others must also continue to eliminate factions of support for violent organizations within their own borders."
In an apparent escalation of the crisis, staff at Al Jazeera, Qatar's influential satellite television news channel which often infuriates the rulers of the Arab world, said its computer systems had come under cyber attack.
Related news releases
- 22.05.2018Trump says summit with Kim may be delayed
- 22.05.2018Cuba plane crash death toll rises to 111
- 21.05.2018U.S. toughens stance on Iran, lists sweeping demands
- 20.05.201822 injured after flash fire at plant near Pasadena
- 20.05.2018110 Confirmed Dead in Cuba Boeing 737 Plane Crash
- 19.05.2018Crashed Cuban plane's passengers included five foreigners plus crew: state media
- 19.05.2018U.S. sanctions No. 2 official in Venezuela's Socialist party
- 19.05.2018More than 100 killed in passenger plane crash in Cuba - UPDATED-1
- 18.05.2018In speech, Pompeo to call for 'broad support' against Iran
- 18.05.2018Senate approves Gina Haspel as next CIA director
- 18.05.2018PayPal in talks to buy Sweden's iZettle in $2.2 billion deal: WSJ
- 18.05.2018'Loner' student shoots and kills 10 at Texas school - UPDATED
- 18.05.2018US says ready to defend as Russia deploys in Mediterranean
- 17.05.2018China becomes spoiled on trade, trade deal unlikely to happen - Trump - UPDATED
- 17.05.2018Scope of drills unchanged amid preparations to Summit with Kim - Pentagon
- 17.05.2018Canada's Trudeau says feeling positive about NAFTA talks
- 17.05.2018Explosive eruption occurs at Hawaii's Kilauea volcano
- 17.05.2018Key senators: 'no doubt' Russia sought to interfere in U.S. election
- 17.05.2018May 28 declared Azerbaijan National Day in capital of Arkansas
- 17.05.2018U.S. sanctions Hezbollah leader Nasrallah, deputy Qassem
- 17.05.2018UN 'collapsed' in face of Gaza killings: Turkish leader
- 16.05.2018Trump says 'We'll see' on North Korea summit, to insist on denuclearization
- 16.05.2018Trump tweets: China has 'much to give' in trade negotiations
- 16.05.2018Ash cloud from Hawaii volcano sparks aviation red alert
- 16.05.2018Mexico central bank to create cyber security unit after hack
- 15.05.2018US sanctions head of Iran's central bank
- 15.05.2018Facebook suspends 200 apps over mishandled user data
- 15.05.2018North, South Korea to hold high-level inter-Korea talks on May 16
- 15.05.2018US First Lady Undergoes Kidney Surgery at Military Hospital
- 15.05.2018U.S. blames Hamas for deadly Gaza violence
- 13.05.2018Trump welcomes North Korea's decision to dismantle nuclear test site
- 12.05.2018US condemns Iranian 'destabilizing influence' in region
- 11.05.2018Trump seeks 'very meaningful' summit in Singapore with North Korea
- 11.05.2018White House Reveals Reasons Singapore Chosen for Kim-Trump Summit
- 11.05.2018SpaceX postpones first commercial launch of updated Falcon 9 rocket
- 10.05.2018US Imposes New Sanctions on Iran
- 10.05.2018Trump-Kim Jong-un summit set for Singapore on 12 June
- 10.05.2018US to address shortcomings in Iran deal: Mattis
- 10.05.2018Americans freed by North Korea before Trump-Kim summit head home
- 10.05.2018Trump says U.S.-North Korea summit will not be at demilitarized zone
- 10.06.2017Trump commits US to NATO mutual defense article
- 11.06.2017Lavrov, Tillerson agree Qatar crisis should be resolved through negotiations
- 12.06.2017US: Maryland, DC sue Trump over business dealings
- 10.06.2017US' Tillerson urges Saudi allies to ease Qatar blockade
- 10.06.2017Trump '100 percent' ready to testify under oath about private talks with Comey
- 09.06.2017Russia intercepts US aircraft over Baltic Sea - Pentagon